The Churches of Britain and Ireland

  Staffordshire

Staffordshire on Wikipedia.


Abbey Hulton, Stoke-on-Trent - see Stoke-on-Trent.
Abbots Bromley, St. Nicholas. Stained glass window. Both John French. Interior view, Richard Roberts (2015). Catholic Church of the Sacred Heart (1831-46). SK 079 245. John French. Another view, Richard Roberts (2014). Link. Chapel of St. Anne (ca. 1884) at Abbots Bromley School for Girls on High Street. SK 083 245. Richard Roberts (2014). Link. The former Primitive Methodist Chapel (uncertain date, but pre-1882) on Lichfield Road, now a private residence. SK 083 242. Richard Roberts (2014). The former Independent Chapel (later Congregational) on Hall Hill Lane. Also built pre-1882, and now a private residence. SK 080 244. Richard Roberts (2014).
Acton, the former Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, now in residential use. Another view. Both Peter Morgan (2015).
Acton Trussell, St. James, on Penkridge Road. SJ 937 175. Dorothy Turley. Another view, Dennis Harper (2005). Interior view, and the font, both Dennis Harper (2011). Link. Grade II* listed - link.
Adbaston, St. Michael. SJ 7627. Geoff Pick.
Admaston, St. Leonard. SK 044 239. From an old postcard in Reg Dosell's Collection. The card is labelled as Blithfield Church which sits close to Blithfield Hall - Admaston is the nearest settlement. A modern view, Richard Roberts (2014). Link. Grade I listed.
Alrewas, All Saints. Methodist Church. Both Bruce Read. The Millennium Memorial Chapel at the National Memorial Arboretum, interior view and font, all Dennis Harper (2012). Link, and the NMA's website.
Alsagers Bank, St. John. SJ 8048. Geoff Pick.
Alstonefield, St. Peter. Bill McKenzie. Interior view. The Beresford family pew. Both James Murray. Former Wesleyan Chapel, rebuilt in 1879, and now a private residence. James Murray.
Alton.
Anslow, Holy Trinity on Hanbury Road. Dating to the 1850's, it was built as a Chapel of Ease for the Mosley family. SK 197 249. Richard Roberts (2016). Grade II listed.
Armitage.
Ashley, The Catholic Church of Our Lady & St. John the Baptist. Peter Morgan. Methodist Church. Gerard Charmley (2011).
Audley
.

Baddeley Edge, Ebenezer Baptist Chapel (1860). Methodist Church, originally Primitive Methodist. Both Gervase N. E. Charmley (2009).
Bagnall, St. Chad. Gervase N. E. Charmley (2009). Link.
Balterley, All Saints. Chris Emms (2010).
Barlaston, St. John the Baptist. Closed because of subsidence caused by mine workings, a new church was built on a different site. SJ 8939. Geoff Pick. Another view, and the inscription from the porch, both Dennis Harper (2014). The new St. John the Baptist on Station Road. Another view. SJ 892 384. Both Dennis Harper (2014). Cemetery Chapel in St. John the Baptist's Cemetery, which stands about half a mile from the new church, on Hartwell Lane. Another view. SJ 897 384. Both Dennis Harper (2014). Methodist Church on Chapel Court and Park Drive. SJ 884 382. Dennis Harper (2014).
Barton-under-Needwood, St. James. SK 1818. Geoff Pick. Link.
Baswich, Holy Trinity. SJ 9422. Geoff Pick.
Beaconside, Stafford - see Stafford.
Bednall, All Saints. SJ 955 018. Geoff Pick. Two further views- 1, 2, interior view and font, all Dennis Harper (2011). Link. Grade II listed - link.
Bentilee, Stoke-on-Trent - see Stoke-on-Trent.
Berkhamstych, St. Mary and St. John (early C20). Gervase N. E. Charmley (2011).
Betley, St. Margaret (O). Two interior views - 1, 2. The chapel in the latter photo is surrounded by a screen of C14 or C15 Spanish Chestnut. The aisles are by George Gilbert Scott. SJ 755 484. All Chris Emms (2010). Betley Methodist Church. SJ 754 485. Chris Emms (2010).
Biddulph.
Biddulph Moor, Christ Church (C),  built in 1863. Another view, and an interior view. Moor Top Methodist Chapel (1904). New Road Methodist Chapel, and interior view. All Gervase N. E. Charmley. Primitive Methodist Chapel (1902), Sandy Calder.
Birches Head, Stoke-on-Trent - see Stoke-on-Trent.
Bishops Wood, St. John the Evangelist on Kiddermore Green Road. SJ 840 093. Chris Emms (2010). Two further views - 1, 2, both Dennis Harper (2011). Link.
Blakeley Lane, Methodist Church, formerly Primitive Methodist, and dating from 1890. SJ 973 471. Mike Berrell.
Blore, St. Bartholomew. SK 137 493. Mike Berrell. Another view, and an interior view, both Chris Emms (2011). Two additional interior views - 1, 2, both Mike Berrell (2015). Link.
Blurton, Stoke-on-Trent - see Stoke-on-Trent.
Blythe Bridge, St. Peter at Forsbrook. SJ 964 416. Mike Berrell. Three additional views - 1, 2, 3, all Dennis Harper (2014). Methodist Church on Uttoxeter Road, built as Wesleyan. SJ 961 411. Mike Berrell. Another view, interior view (taken through a window), and a foundation stone for 1881, all Dennis Harper (2014). The tiny Forsbrook Methodist Church on Chapel Street dates from 1856 (date-stone). Another view, and the interior. SJ 964 412. All Dennis Harper (2014).
Bobbington, Church of the Holy Cross. Another view. Both Dennis Harper (2003). Two interior views - 1, 2, and the font, all Dennis Harper (2010). Link. Grade II* listed - link.
Boundary, Boundary Methodist Church - built as Wesleyan in 1827. Interior view. Both Gervase N. E. Charmley (2011).
Bradeley, Stoke-on-Trent - see Stoke-on-Trent.
Bradley, St. Mary and All Saints. SJ 879 180. Chris Emms (2009). Two additional views - 1, 2, the remains of the churchyard cross, the chancel and its screen, the altar, and the tub font, all Dennis Harper (2014). Link. Grade I listed.
Bradnop, Anglican Church. As Gerard suggests, the simple appearance of this building may mean that it is a converted barn or domestic building. The former Primitive Methodist Chapel. Both Gervase N. E. Charmley (2011).
Bramshall, St. Lawrence. SK 061 332. Chris Emms (2009).
Branston, St. Saviour on Main Street, a Vincent Cook church of 1864, extended with porch and meeting room in 1981. SK 224 211. Richard Roberts (2016). The former Methodist Chapel (1834) on Main Street, now in commercial use. SK 222 211. Richard Roberts (2014).
Brereton, St. Michael. Methodist Church. Both Bruce Read.
Brewood.
Bridgtown, the former St. Paul (circa 1899) on Church Street. It has been in industrial use for several decades, and at least since 1975 when it is shown as as such on the O.S. map of that vintage. SJ 979 086. Link. Bethel Church on Union Street is a former Wesleyan Methodist Church. SJ 981 086. Both Richard Roberts (2017).
Brindley Ford, the former parish church, St. Chad (as advised by Janet Gimber) - a foundation stone bears the date 1928. Gervase N. E. Charmley (2009). The stone itself is little help. BereniceUK. Brindley Ford Methodist Church was built on the site of a larger Wesleyan Chapel. Gervase N. E. Charmley (2009). The former Primitive Methodist Chapel (1889) stands opposite, and is now in commercial use. Gervase N. E. Charmley (2009).
Broughton, St. Peter. Peter Morgan.
Brown Edge, St. Anne (1844). Gervase advises that the dedication to St. Anne is because she is the patron saint of miners. Sandy Lane Methodist Church. Hill Top Methodist Church was built as Primitive Methodist in 1880. This was the home church of Hugh Bourne, the founder of the Primitive Methodists. All Gervase N. E. Charmley (2009). Link.
Brown Lees, Methodist Church. The nearer building bears date 1909. The attached smaller building is the original chapel, dated 1894, and was built as Primitive Methodist. Gervase N. E. Charmley (2009).
Bucknall, Stoke-on-Trent - see Stoke-on-Trent.
Burntwood, Christchurch on Church Road. Bruce Read. Two further views - 1, 2, and an interior view, all Dennis Harper (2006). Grade II listed - link. St. Matthew. Bruce Read. Methodist Church. Bruce Read. St. Joseph (R.C.). Bruce Read.
Burslem, Stoke-on-Trent - see Stoke-on-Trent.
Burston, St. Rufin. Bruce Read. Link.
Burton upon Trent.
Butt Lane, Methodist Church. Baptist Church (1884). Reg Mitchell, the designer of the Spitfire was a native of Butt Lane, and has a memorial in the chapel. Both Gervase N. E. Charmley (2010).
Butterton (near Newcastle-under-Lyme), St. Thomas. SJ 832 422. Chris Emms (2010). Another view, Peter Morgan (2015). Link.
Butterton (near Warslow), St. Bartholomew. SK 076 565. James Murray. Another view. Chris Emms (2009). Link1. Link2.

Calf Heath, Calf Heath Methodist Church (1860). Another view. SJ 943 088. Dennis Harper (2011).
Calton, St. Mary the Virgin. Link. Grade II listed - link. Methodist Chapel. Both Gervase N. E. Charmley (2011).
Cannock.
Cannock Wood, Methodist Chapel. Bruce Read.
Canwell, St. Mary, St. Giles & All Saints. Bruce Read.
Cauldon, St. Mary and St. Laurence. Interior view, and the East Window, dating from the 1930's. Gervase advises that the altar was built from stones collected from all of the quarries in the parish. All Gervase N. E. Charmley (2011). Link.
Caverswall, St. Peter. Another view. SJ 952 428. Link. St. Filumena (R.C.). Interior view. SJ 951 429. All Mike Berrell.
Chase Terrace, St. John. Emmanuel Church. The Old Methodist Church. All Bruce Read.
Chasetown.
Cheadle.
Chebsey, All Saints. From an old postcard in Reg Dosell's Collection. A modern view, from Ron Amphlett's Collection. Link.
Checkley, St Mary and All Saints on Church Lane. Two interiors - 1, 2. The list of incumbents commences in 1238. SK 028 379. All Mike Berrell (2014). Link. Grade I listed.
Cheddleton, St. Edward the Confessor, built in the C13. Has Arts & Crafts decoration and windows by Burne-Jones and William Morris. Gervase N. E. Charmley (2009). Link. St. Andrew (Methodist) on Ostlers Lane. SJ 969 520. Mike Berrell. Link. The site of a large Victorian mental hospital has been largely redeveloped for residential use, but a few of the original buildings remain, including the chapel. What is/was the dedication? Chris Emms (2010).
Chell and Chell Heath, Stoke-on-Trent - see Stoke-on-Trent.
Cheslyn Hay, Salem Methodist Church. Built 1855, enlarged 1898. Chris Emms (2009). Link.
Chesterton, Holy Trinity, the parish church. Link. U.R.C., previously Congregational, and before that, Baptist. Elim Pentecostal Church was originally Wesleyan Methodist, and dates from 1875, replacing an earlier building. Salvation Army. All Gervase N. E. Charmley (2009). St. John the Evangelist (R.C.). Chris Emms (2009). Link.
Church Eaton, St. Editha. Aidan McRae Thomson.
Church Leigh, All Saints. SK 023 358. Chris Emms (2009).
Clayton, Newcastle-under-Lyme - see Newcastle-under-Lyme.
Clifton Campville, St. Andrew. Bruce Read. Two further views - 1, 2, the interior and chancel. The church has two fonts - 1 the older, which looks as if it once fixed to a wall, and 2. The church also has some exceptional tombs - 1, 2. All David Regan (2017). Link. Grade I listed.
Cobridge, Stoke-on-Trent - see Stoke-on-Trent.
Codsall.
Codsall Wood, St. Peter on Whitehouse Lane. Two further views - 1, 2, and the bell-turret. SJ 849 050. All Dennis Harper (2011). Link.
Colton, St. Mary the Virgin. Bruce Read.
Colwich, St. Michael & All Angels on Main Road. SK 011 211. Bruce Read. Another view and two interior views - 1, 2, all Mike Berrell (2011). Link1. Link2. St. Mary's Abbey (Benedictine R.C.). on Main Road. Two interior views - 1, 2. SK 008 214. All Mike Berrell (2011). Link.
Comberford, the Chapel. Bruce Read.
Cotes Heath, St. James. Martin Briscoe.
Cotton, St. John the Baptist, which dates from 1795. St. Wilfrid (R.C.). SK 066 463. Both Mike Berrell.
Coven, the former Mission Church (1844-1857) on School Lane and Light Ash Lane. Subsequently used as a school, it is to be converted into housing. Another view. Both Dennis Harper (2012). Coven Methodist Church was built as Wesleyan in 1839. Another view. Both Dennis Harper (2011).
Coven Heath, The Church on the Common. Dennis Harper (2008). Since the photo was taken, the church has been converted to residential use - see property sales details here.
Cresswell, St. Margaret (R.C.), on Cresswell Old Lane. SJ 979 394. Mike Berrell.
Cross Heath, Newcastle-under-Lyme - see Newcastle-under-Lyme.
Croxall, St. John the Baptist. Bruce Read.
Croxden, St. Giles (1886). SK 065 399. The remains of Croxden Abbey, consecrated in 1250, and dissolved in 1538. SK 066 396. Link. Both Mike Berrell.
Croxton, St. Paul. Peter Morgan. Link.

Denstone, All Saints (1862). SK 100 409. Mike Berrell. Two additional views - 1, 2, both Chris Stafford (2013). Link. Grade II* listed.
Derrington, St. Matthew, on St. Matthew's Drive. Dennis Harper (2006).
Dilhorne, All Saints. SJ 971 434. Mike Berrell. Link. Methodist Church. The left-hand part of the building is the original chapel, the right-hand extension being the more modern Sunday School. Gervase N. E. Charmley (2011).
Dods Leigh, Leigh Pentecostal Church. SK 015 349. Mike Berrell.
Dosthill, St. Paul. Baptist Church. Both Bruce Read.
Draycott in the Clay, St. Augustine on Stubby Lane (1923, CoE) - a tin tabernacle, and still in use. SK 154 283. Link. Methodist Chapel on Stubby Lane, built as Wesleyan in 1828, re-built 1903. SK 153 284. Link. Both Richard Roberts (2014).
Draycott in the Moors, St. Margaret. SJ 981 402. Mike Berrell. Link.
Drayton Bassett, St. Peter. Bruce Read. Link.
Dresden, Stoke-on-Trent - see Stoke-on-Trent.
Dunstall, Church of St. Mary (1852-3) on Dunstall Hill. SK 187 204. Richard Roberts (2017). Link. Grade II* listed.
Dunston, St. Leonard. Peter Morgan. Two additional views - 1, 2, both Dennis Harper (2004). Two interior views - 1, 2, and the font, all Dennis Harper (2012). Link. Grade II listed - link.

Eccleshall.
Edingale, Holy Trinity (1880-1, on the site of earlier churches). Bruce Read. Two further views - 1, 2, the interior and the font. An unusual feature is the gallery. All David Regan (2017). Link. Grade II listed.
Elford, St. Peter. Bruce Read. Two further views - 1, 2, both David Regan (2017). Link. Grade II* listed.
Endon, St. Luke. Gervase N. E. Charmley (2009). The hard winter of 2009-10 gave the opportunity for lovely church photos, these two - 1, 2, are both Chris Emms (2009). Link. Methodist Church. SJ 926 533. Chris Emms (2009). Another view, which shows that some architectural features were retained from the previous mid-Victorian building. Gervase N. E. Charmley (2009). Link. The former Wesleyan chapel, now converted to residential use. Gervase N. E. Charmley (2009).
Enville, St. Mary on Bridgnorth Road. Two further views - 1, 2. All Dennis Harper (2011). Link1. Link2. Grade II* listed - link.
Essington, St. John the Evangelist on Wolverhampton Road. Interior view, and the font. All Dennis Harper (2003). Link. Essington Wood Methodist Church on Bursnips Road. Dennis Harper (2005). Interior view, Dennis Harper (2003), and font, Dennis Harper (2014). Allens Rough Methodist Church. Dennis Harper (2005). Dennis has advised (2014) that this church was demolished in circa 2009.

Farewell, St. Bartholomew. Bruce Read.
Fazeley, United Methodist Free Church. Bruce Read.
Fegg Hayes, Stoke-on-Trent - see Stoke-on-Trent.
Fenton, Stoke-on-Trent.
Flash,
Fole, Reformed Evangelical Church (1850). Chris Emms (2009). Link.
Foxt, St. Mark the Evangelist. SK 036 487. Mike Berrell. Interior view, Gervase N. E. Charmley (2011).
Fradley, St. Stephen. Bruce Read.
Freehay, St. Chad. SK 019 411. Mike Berrell. Link.
Fulford, St. Nicholas. SJ 952 384. Mike Berrell. Another view. Chris Emms (2010). Link. The former Zion Methodist Chapel (1812). Gervase N. E. Charmley (2011).

Gailey, the former Christ Church (1850), now a pottery studio. Two further views - 1, 2. All Dennis Harper (2011). Link.
Gnosall, St. Lawrence. SJ 830 208. Chris Emms (2009). Link.
Goldenhill, St. John the Evangelist. St. Joseph (R.C.). Link. Christ Church - congregation (Independent) founded 1873, though the present building is of 1944. Methodist Church. All Gervase N. E. Charmley (2009). The former Goldenhill Baptist Chapel (1870) now used as a barn. Another view, and a close-up of the inscribed stone. Closed by the 1950's. All Gervase N. E. Charmley (2010).
Gospel End, the former St. Barnabas Mission Church, now in residential use. Dennis Harper (2003). Another view, Dennis Harper (2014). Link.
Great Haywood, St. Stephen on Main Road. SJ 998 225. Bruce Read. Another view, two interior views - 1, 2, and a memorial cross from the WWI battlefields, in memory of 98652 Gnr H. Mould. All Mike Berrell (2011). St. John the Baptist (R.C.) on Main Road. SJ 998 227. Bruce Read. Another view, Mike Berrell (2011). Great Haywood Christian Fellowship on Main Road was originally Mount Zion Chapel (1843). SJ 998 225. Mike Berrell (2011).
Great Wyrley, St. Mark on Station Road. Chris Emms (2009). St. Andrew on Hilton Lane, Landywood. SJ 989 061. Chris Emms (2009). Another view, Dennis Harper (2011). Great Wyrkey Wesley Methodist Church (1858) on Shaws Lane and Walsall Road, Landywood. SJ 993 065. Chris Emms (2009). Another view, Dennis Harper (2011).
Grindon, All Saints (1848). It was built to replace a much older church which burned down. Interior view. Known as the "Cathedral of the Moorlands". Both Gervase N. E. Charmley (2011). Grade II listed - link.

Hale, St. Mary. Peter Morgan.
Halfpenny Green, Gospel Ash Methodist Church on Gospel Ash Road. Another view. Both Dennis Harper (2011). The final service has been held here. As of the beginning of 2013, the future of the church is undecided. Three interior views - 1, 2, 3, and the font, all Dennis Harper (2013).
Halmer End, the site of the demolished Church (Methodist?). Peter Morgan (2015).
Hammerwich, St. John the Baptist. Bruce Read.
Hamstall Ridware, St. Michael & All Angels. Assembley Gospel Hall. Both Bruce Read.
Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent.
Hansacre, Methodist Church. Bruce Read.
Harlaston, St. Matthew. Another view, two interiors - 1, 2, the chancel, and the font. All David Regan (2017). Link. Grade II* listed.
Harriseahead, Methodist Memorial Chapel. Gervase N. E. Charmley. The derelict Primitive Methodist Chapel (1861). Another view. Both Gervase N. E. Charmley (2010).
Hartshill, Stoke-on-Trent - see Stoke-on-Trent.
Hatherton, St. Saviour (1867). SJ 955 095. Dennis Harper (2011). Link.
Haughton, St. Giles. SJ 866 204. Chris Emms (2009). Another view, Dennis Harper (2006). Two interior views - 1, 2, the altar, pulpit, organ, and font, all Dennis Harper (2014). Link. Grade B listed.
Haunton, St. Michael & St. James (R.C., 1901-2). Bruce Read. Another view, David Regan (2017). Link.
Heath Hayes, St. John on Hednesford Road. Dennis Harper (2006). Link. Bourne Methodist Church on Hednesford Road and Chapel Street. Dennis Harper (2013). Link.
High Offley, St. Mary. Another view. SJ 783 261. Both Chris Emms (2009).
Himley, St. Michael and All Angels, on Dudley Road. Some sources list it as St. Michael Archangel, or just St. Michael. Dennis Harper (2011). Another view, Dennis Harper (2008). Interior view, Dennis Harper (2010). Grade II listed - link.
Hints, St. Bartholomew. Bruce Read.
Hoar Cross, Church of the Holy Angels (Anglo-Catholic, 1872-4) on Maker Lane. Interior view. SK 124 230. Both Richard Roberts (2014). Link. Grade I listed.
Hollington, St. John. SK 059 388. Former Wesleyan Chapel (1874). SK 061 389. Both Mike Berrell.
Hollinsclough, St. Agnes. Gervase advises that this was an 1841 barn conversion! Gervase N. E. Charmley (2011). Grade II listed- link. Methodist Chapel (Bethel, 1801) was built as Wesleyan. James Murray. Interior view. Gervase N. E. Charmley (2011).
Hollybank, a derelict chapel. It has the look of Wesleyan about it, but can you confirm? Richard Roberts has advised that this was indeed Wesleyan, marked as such on the 1880 O.S. map. It stands on Maerway Lane. Peter Morgan (2015).
Hopwas, St. Chad. Methodist Church. Both Bruce Read.
Horningblow, Church of St. John the Divine (1866, by Edwin Holmes), on Horninglow Road North. SK 241 251. Link. The former United Free Methodist Mission and Sunday School (1898) on Carlton Street is now a Doctors' Surgery. SK 237 248. Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses (1986) on Dover Road. SK 240 251. The tiny Christian Spiritualist Church on Horninglow Road and Farm Road, was built as a National School in 1846. SK 240 251. All Richard Roberts (2016).
Hulme End, former Primitive Methodist Chapel, built 1834, now derelict. James Murray. Identified by Janet Gimber, who also advised of this link.
Huntington, St. Thomas on Stafford Road. Two additional views - 1, 2. All Dennis Harper (2013). Link.

Ilam, Church of the Holy Cross. SK 133 507. Mike Berrell. Three additional views - 1, 2, 3, two interior views - 1, 2, altar and the wonderful font, all Dennis Harper (2012). Link. Grade I listed.
Ipstones, St. Leonard. Interior view. SK 018 503. Link. Former Primitive Methodist Chapel, dating from 1837, now in secular use. SK 023 501. All Mike Berrell. The former Wesleyan Chapel, dating from the 1830's, It was succeeded in 1861 by what is the present Methodist Church, and the original chapel now serves as the church hall. Both  Gervase N. E. Charmley (2011).

Keele, St. John the Baptist on Church Bank. SJ 809 452. Chris Emms (2009). Two interior views - 1, 2, both Angela and Robin Studd (2014). Link. Grade II* listed. University Chapel. SJ 817 450. Chris Emms (2009).
Kidsgrove.
King's Bromley, All Saints (previously St. Peter) on Church Lane, with fabric of the 11th, 14th, 16th and 19th centuries. SK 122 170. Bruce Read. Another view, and the interior, both Richard Roberts (2017). Grade I listed.
Kingsley, St. Werburgh. Another view. Interior view. SK 013 469. All Mike Berrell. This old postcard was in the Unknown section for quite a while, and was identified by Phil Draper. From Reg Dosell's Collection.
Kingsley Holt, Methodist Church. Interior view. SK 020 463. Both Mike Berrell.
Kingstone, St. John the Baptist (1861) on Church Lane. Two interior views - 1, 2 and a window. SK 061 295. All Mike Berrell (2014). Link. Grade II listed.
Kinver, St. Peter on Church Hill. Another view. Grade I listed - link. Methodist Church on Enville Road. The previous church, which stands adjacent, now serves as the church hall. All Dennis Harper (2011).
Knutton, St. Mary. Catholic Church of Our Lady of Sorrows. Knutton Methodist Church. Link. All Gervase N. E. Charmley.
Knypersley, St. John the Evangelist. Gervase N. E. Charmley.

Lane Ends, St. Patrick (R.C.). Gervase N. E. Charmley (2009).
Lapley, All Saints. Another view. SJ 872 129. Both Chris Emms (2010). Link.
Lask Edge, Methodist Chapel, originally Primitive Methodist (1875). SJ 915 566. Gervase N. E. Charmley. Another view. Chris Emms (2011).
Leek.
Lichfield.
Little Aston, St. Peter. Bruce Read.
Little Hay, Mission Church (according to here). Thanks to Mike Berrell for advising the identification. Bruce Read. The former Wesleyan Methodist Chapel on Little Hay Lane, now converted to residential use. It pre-dates the OS map of 1884. When it went out of use is uncertain - it is shown on the 1914-1923 OS maps, but not labelled, and by the 1965 edition is marked as The Old Chapel, so presumably had been converted by then. SK 120 021. Richard Roberts (2016).
Longdon, St. James the Greater. Bruce Read.
Longnor, St. Bartholomew. Interior view. Statue of St. Bertram, "first evangelist of the moorland". All James Murray. Another view. Les Needham. Link. Wesleyan Chapel. James Murray.
Longsdon, St. Chad. SJ 959 546. Link. The former St. James' Chapel, now a private residence. Both Chris Emms (2009). The former Methodist Chapel, now a private residence. Gervase N. E. Charmley (2009).
Longton, Stoke-on-Trent.
Lower Penn, St. Anne on Springhill Lane, Dennis Harper (2010). Interior view. Dennis Harper (2003). The font, Dennis Harper (2013).

Madeley, All Saints. SJ 773 444. Chris Emms (2009). Link. Madeley Methodist Church, originally Ebenezer Primitive Methodist (1856). SJ 777 448. Chris Emms (2010).
Mapleton, St. Mary. Interior view. SK166 481. Both Mike Berrell.
Marchington, St. Peter (1742) on Church Lane, and its unusual war memorial. SK 138 307. Link. The former Primitive Methodist Chapel (1840 - 1970) on Bag Lane, and its defaced date-stone. SK 1315 3080. All Mike Berrell (2014).
Marchington Woodlands, St. John (1859) on Hodge Lane. Another view. SK 1095 2966. Both Mike Berrell (2014). Link. Grade II listed.
Mayfield, the late 12th century St. John the Baptist on Church Lane, Church Mayfield. SK 154 447. Link. Grade I listed. The former Methodist Chapel (1827) on Gallowstree Lane, Upper Mayfield. Now a private residence. SK 154 460. All Richard Roberts (2014).
Meerbrook, St. Matthew. SJ 989 608. Mike Berrell. Another view, from an old postcard in Reg Dosell's Collection. Previously in the "Unknown" section, this old postcard was identified by Bill Davison. Link. Meerbrook Methodist Church. Interior view. Both Gervase N. E. Charmley (2011).
Meir, Stoke-on-Trent - see Stoke-on-Trent.
Miles Green, the former Primitive Methodist Chapel (1880), now in residential use. Peter Morgan (2015).
Milldale, Methodist Chapel, originally Primitive Methodist. Gervase N. E. Charmley (2011).
Milton, Stoke-on-Trent - see Stoke-on-Trent.
Milwich, All Saints. The gallery. Both Cyril D. Blount. Link.
Morridge Top, the former Methodist Chapel. Gervase N. E. Charmley (2011).
Moseley, the chapel in Moseley Old Hall. King Charles II took refuge here after his defeat at the Battle of Worcester. SJ 931 044. Dennis Harper (2013). Link.
Mow Cop.
Mucklestone, St. Mary. Two further views - 1, 2. The churchyard has an unusual feature - an anvil with explanatory notice (there is more on this on the link). The pulpit. The church has some good C19 glass. SJ 725 374. All BereniceUK. Link.

Newborough, All Saints (1901) on Yoxall Road. SK 135 253. Richard Roberts (2014). Link. Grade II listed.
Newcastle-under-Lyme.
Newchapel, St. James. SJ 862 545. Link. Methodist Church. SJ 863 546. Both Chris Emms (2011).
Newchurch, the former Christ Church on Sudbury Road. Built circa 1809, it closed in 1998 and is now a private residence. SK 148 234. Richard Roberts (2014). Link (which says it was also known as Holy Trinity). Grade II listed (where it's listed under Yoxall).
Newtown, St. Paul (1835). The former Wesleyan Chapel, with its sun-dial. All Gervase N. E. Charmley (2011).
Normacot, Stoke-on-Trent - see Stoke-on-Trent.
Northwood, Stoke-on-Trent - see Stoke-on-Trent.
Norton Canes, St. James the Great. Bruce Read. Two further views - 1, 2, both Dennis Harper (2006). Grade C listed - link. Trinity Methodist Church. Bruce Read.
Norton Green, Zion Methodist Church, originally Primitive Methodist. The original chapel stands further from the camera. Gervase N. E. Charmley.
Norton in the Moors, Stoke-on-Trent - see Stoke-on-Trent.
Norton Le Moors.

Oakamoor, Holy Trinity (1832) on Cheadle Road. SK 052 448. Mike Berrell. Another view. Gervase N. E. Charmley (2011). Two interiors - 1, 2, and the list of incumbents, which commences in 1832, all Mike Berrell (2014). Grade II listedMemorial Free Church (Free Church of England, 1878) on Carr Bank, originally Bolton Memorial Free Church. Another view. Both Gervase N. E. Charmley (2011). Two interiors - 1, 2, the War memorial windows, and the list of ministers, which begins in 1920, all Mike Berrell (2014).
Onecote, St. Luke. Interior view. SK 049 552. Mike Berrell. Link. Methodist Chapel, originally Primitive Methodist. Gervase N. E. Charmley (2011).

Packmoor, Stoke-on-Trent - see Stoke-on-Trent.
Patshull, St. Mary (1743, with Victorian alterations). Dennis Harper (2011). Link. Grade II* listed - link.
Pattingham, St. Chad. Interior view, and font. All Dennis Harper (2010). Link. Grade II* listed - link.
Penkhull, Stoke-on-Trent - see Stoke-on-Trent.
Penkridge, St. Michael & All Angels. From an old postcard (franked perhaps 1911) in Steve Bulman's Collection. A modern view. Graeme Harvey (2010). Another view. Chris Emms (2010). Another view, interior, altar and font, all Dennis Harper (2011). SJ 921 141. Link. Grade I listed - link. Penkridge Methodist Church, on Clay Street. Graeme Harvey (2010). Interior view, and the font, both Dennis Harper (2013).
Perton, The Church at Perton. Interior view and font. All Dennis Harper (2011). Link.
Pipe Ridware, St. James. Bruce Read.

Quarnford, St. Paul. Four further views - 1, 2, 3, 4. SK 0258 6720. All Iain Taylor. Grade II listed.

Ramshorn, the Ramsor Jubilee Primitive Methodist Chapel (1897 - date-stone). SK 082 453. Both Mike Berrell (2014). Link (well worth reading).
Ranton, All Saints. Another view. Both Dennis Harper (2006). Grade II listed - link.
Rawnsley, St. Michael. Bruce Read.
Rocester, St. Michael. SK 112 394. The former St. Joseph's Chapel (1837) on High Street, now a private residence. SK 107 393. Former Primitive Methodist Chapel (1888) on High street. SK 109 394. All Mike Berrell. Sandy Calder advises that the Catholic Chapel was built as a General Baptist Chapel, and then taken over by the Catholics. The original building was single-storey, and extended back only as far as the drainpipe.
Rolleston on Dove, the 12th century St. Mary, on Church Road. SK 235 272. From an old postcard in Reg Dosell's Collection. A modern view, Richard Roberts (2017). Link. Grade I listed. The former Methodist Church on Chapel Street was built as Wesleyan in 1893. It has been sold for redevelopment. SK 238 277. Richard Roberts (2017).
Rough Hay, Anslow Methodist Church on Hopley Road, built as Primitive Methodist in 1897. SK 204 241. Richard Roberts (2016).
Rudyard, Methodist Church. SJ 952 579. Mike Berrell.
Rugeley.

Salt, St. James the Great. SJ 953 278. Chris Emms (2009). Link.
Sandon, All Saints. From an old postcard in Reg Dosell's Collection. A modern view, Bruce Read. Two further views - 1, 2, both BereniceUK (2010). SJ 953 295. Interior view, Richard Roberts (2017). Link. Grade I listed.
Scot Hay, the former Primitive Methodist Chapel. Gervase N. E. Charmley (2009).
Seighford, St. Chad. Interior view, and the font. All Dennis Harper (2006).
Shareshill, St. Mary and St. Luke. Three interior views - 1, 2, 3, the altar and font, all Dennis Harper (2013). Interior view. Derrick Reeves. Link. Grade II* listed.
Shelton, Stoke-on-Trent - see Stoke-on-Trent.
Shenstone, St. John the Baptist. Bruce Read. This link includes a photo of the previous church, demolished in the 1850's. Trinity Methodist Church (1926) on Station Road. SK 107 046. Richard Roberts (2014). Link.
Shobnall, St. Aidan (1884) on Shobnall Road. SK 227 235. Richard Roberts (2015).
Silverdale.
Smallthorne, Stoke-on-Trent - see Stoke-on-Trent.
Sneyd Green, Stoke-on-Trent - see Stoke-on-Trent.
Stafford.
Stanfield, Stoke-on-Trent - see Stoke-on-Trent.
Stanley, former? Methodist Chapel. Gervase N. E. Charmley (2009).
Stanton, St. Mary on Marsh Lane. SK 126 460. Mike Berrell (2015). Grade II listed.
Stapenhill, St. Peter (1881) on Stapenhill Road. Although built on the site of a mediaeval church, nothing of the old fabric remains. SK 255 221. From an old postcard (franked 1910) in Dave Westrap's Collection. A modern view, Richard Roberts (2014). Link1. Link2. Grade II listed.
Stockton Brook, the former Trinity Methodist Church, now in commercial use. Wesley Methodist Church. Both Gervase N. E. Charmley (2010).
Stoke-on-Trent.
Stone, St. Michael and St. Wulfad. SJ 904 337. Chris Emms (2009). Two further views - 1, 2 - the latter also showing the mausoleum of Admiral Sir John Jervis. Both BereniceUK (2010). Link. St. Dominic (R.C.). SJ 899 341. Chris Emms (2009). Christchurch. SJ 902 341. Chris Emms (2009).
Stramshall, St. Michael and All Angels. Another view. SK 079 358. Both Chris Emms (2009).
Stretton, St. John. SJ 887 116. Chris Emms (2010). Two additional views - 1, 2, both Dennis Harper (2014). Grade II* listed.
Stretton (previously Stretton-cum-Wetmore), St. Mary on Church Road. Designed by Somers Clarke and John Micklethwaite, and built 1895-7. Interior view. SK 253 263. Link. Grade II* listed. Methodist Church on Main Street, built as Methodist Free Church in 1894. SK 251 261. All Richard Roberts (2016).
Stubwood, Methodist Chapel (1841). SK 097 400. Mike Berrell.
Swindon, St. John the Evangelist, on Church Road. Dennis Harper (2008). Another view, interior, altar, a close up of the window, and the font. all Dennis Harper (2012). U.R.C. on High Street, formerly Ebenezer Chapel, dating from 1820. John French. Two interior views - 1, 2, and the tiny movable font, all Dennis Harper (2012).
Swynnerton, St. Mary. Our Lady of the Assumption (R.C.). Both Peter Morgan.

Talke, St. Martin. Another view. Both Gervase N. E. Charmley (2010). Link.
Tamworth.
Tatenhill, St. Michael and All Angels, on  Main Street. A C13 church, and grade II* listed. SK 205 220. Richard Roberts (2016).
The Rookery, St. Saviour - a "tin tabernacle". Gervase N. E. Charmley (2010).
Thorncliffe, Methodist Church. Alan Blacklock (2010).
Tixall, St. John the Baptist (1848) on Tixall Road. Two interior views - 1, 2. SJ 979 228. All Mike Berrell (2011). Link.
Tompkin, Tomkin Congregational Chapel (1865). SJ 943 512. Gervase N. E. Charmley (2009).
Trent Vale, Stoke-on-Trent - see Stoke-on-Trent.
Trentham, Stoke-on-Trent - see Stoke-on-Trent.
Trysull, All Saints, on School Road. John French. Another view, and an interior view, both Dennis Harper (2007). The font, Dennis Harper (2008). Link.
Tutbury.

Upper Elkstone, St. John the Baptist. Interior view. Despite appearances, this is CoE, not non-conformist. Both James Murray.
Upper Hulme, the former Methodist Chapel. Gervase N. E. Charmley (2011).
Upper Landywood, Methodist Chapel on Streets Lane. SJ 982 057. Chris Emms (2009).
Upper Tean, Staffordshire, Christ Church. SK 013 395. St. Thomas (R.C.) on St. Thomas's Road. SK 011 397. Gorsty Hill United Church (Methodist and U.R.C.). Interior view. SK 010 399. The former Providence Methodist Chapel on New Road. SK 010 397. All Mike Berrell. Another view of the Providence Chapel (1822), now a private residence. Chris Emms (2009).
Uttoxeter.

Wall, St. John the Baptist (1843) on Green Lane, a  Sir George Gilbert Scott church. SK 098 066. Bill Henderson (2013). Three additional views views - 1, 2, 3, the latter also showing the remains of a Roman villa, all Dennis Harper (2015). Interior view, Richard Roberts (2016). Link. Grade II listed.
Warslow, St. Lawrence. Two interior views - 1, 2. All James Murray. Another view, and an interior view, both Alan Blacklock (2010). The former Wesleyan Methodist Chapel. This was subsequently used as a a garage for many years, but is now a private residence.
Gervase N. E. Charmley (2011). The congregation united officially with the Primitive Methodists in 1932, and they all then used the Primitive Methodist Chapel, now also closed. Gervase N. E. Charmley (2011).
Waterfall, St. James and St. Bartholomew.
The gate piers were made from chimneys from the demolished Ilam Hall. Interior view. Gerard advises that the chancel is panelled with the former box pews. All Gervase N. E. Charmley (2011). Grade II* listed - link.
Waterhouses, Methodist Chapel, originally Primitive Methodist. Gervase N. E. Charmley (2011).
Weeford, St. Mary on Dog Lane, a James Wyatt church of 1802. SK 141 083. Richard Roberts (2016). Grade II listed.
Werrington, Methodist Church. SJ 933 472. Chris Emms (2010).
Westlands, Newcastle-under-Lyme - see Newcastle-under-Lyme.
Weston, St. Andrew, on Stafford Road. Another view. SJ 974 271. Both John French. Another view, Mike Berrell (2011). Link. Methodist Church. SJ 980 268. Chris Emms (2011).
Weston-under-Lizard, St. Andrew. SJ 806 106. Chris Emms (2010). Link
Wetley Rocks, St. John the Baptist (1834). Link. Methodist Church - it succeeded the original Wesleyan Methodist Chapel (1841, with porch added in 1901). The former Hope Chapel (Congregational, 1822). All Gervase N. E. Charmley (2009).
Wetton, St. Margaret. Interior view. Both James Murray. Another view and interior view, both Gervase N. E. Charmley (2011). The former Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, now in residential use. Gervase N. E. Charmley (2011).
Wheaton Aston, St. Mary. SJ 851 125. Chris Emms (2010). Link. Zion Congregational Church (1814) on Marston Road. Another view. SJ 852 127. Both Dennis Harper (2014). Link.
Whiston, St. Mildred. Two interior views - 1, 2. All Gervase N. E. Charmley (2011). Primitive Methodist Centenary Church (1908). Interior view. SJ 897 143. Both Mike Berrell. The former (and original) Primitive Methodist Chapel now appears to be in secular use. Gervase N. E. Charmley (2011).
Whitehill, Trinity Methodist Church, originally Primitive Methodist (1912). Gervase N. E. Charmley (2010).
Whitmore, St. Mary and All Saints. SJ 815 405. Muriel Winson. Two additional views - 1, 2, both Peter Morgan (2015). Link. Grade II* listed.
Whittington, St. Giles. U.R.C. Both Bruce Read.
Wigginton, St. Leonard. Dating from 1777, the north aisle was added in 1830. Bruce Read. Three further views - 1, 2, 3, two of the interior - 1, 2 (the unusual central gallery is an unusual feature), and the font, all David Regan (2017). Link. Grade II listed.
Wildwood, Stafford - see Stafford.
Wilnecote, Holy Trinity. Bruce Read.
Winkhill, the former Methodist Chapel. Gervase N. E. Charmley (2011).
Winnothdale, the Old Chapel, now in secular use. SK 028 405. Mike Berrell. Janet Gimber has advised that this was Wesleyan Methodist in 1891.
Winshill.
Wolstanton, Newcastle-under-Lyme - see Newcastle-under-Lyme.
Wombourne.
Wychnor, St. Leonard. Bruce Read.

Yoxall, St. Peter. Interior view and the font. All Dennis Harper (2005). The altar, Dennis Harper (2006). Link. Grade II* listed - link.

 

 
 

Home

20 August 2017

Steve Bulman

Contact Details