The Churches of Britain and Ireland
Gospel Hall (Christian New Testament Church, formerly Plymouth Brethren, 1967) on Hawfield Lane. SK 270 234. © Richard Roberts (2014).
The former Methodist Chapel (United Free) on Church Hill Street and Mill Hill Lane. Now in use as a shop, it's hard to pick out any feature suggestive of a chapel, but the round window at the extreme right may be original. Dating from 1887 (it was successor to a chapel on the corner of Hawfield Lane and East Street), it finally closed in 1963, by which time the congregation had moved in to the Methodist Church on High Bank Road (see next entry). SK 268 235. © Richard Roberts (2014).
Methodist Church, (registered 1879, though the congregation dates from 1862) on High Bank Road. This was formerly a United Free Methodist Church, and before that, it was Wesleyan. SK 266 232. © Richard Roberts (2014).
St. Joseph (R.C.) on Mount Street - St. Mark can be seen at left. The building was originally Winshill Institute, the church moving in in 1967. SK 264 232. © Richard Roberts (2014).
01 September 2018
© Steve BulmanContact Details