The Churches of Britain and Ireland
Bethel Chapel, on Chapel Street, dates from 1890. SK 010 432. © Mike Berrell. Its predecessor was built in 1799 and extended in 1821, and is presently in use as business premises. © Gervase N. E. Charmley (2011).
The former Primitive Methodist Church on Charles Street. © Gervase N. E. Charmley (2011).
All three of Cheadle's Methodists united in one church, built in 1967. St. Giles (R.C.) is seen in the background. A date-stone records the unification, and gives a little history, including the fact that the present church was built on the site of a previous one of 1812. By a process of elimination, this one must have been the Wesleyan. Behind the church stands a Victorian Church Hall. Both © Gervase N. E. Charmley (2011).
St. Giles (R.C.) on Bank Street is one of Pugin's masterpieces. Interior view. The red and gold doors. SK 007 432. All © Mike Berrell. Another view, interior, High Altar, pulpit, Lady Chapel, and Blessed Sacrament Chapel, all © John Balaam (2013). Link1. Link2. Link3.
The derelict Zion Chapel (Methodist New Connexion), and from 1907 until the union in 1932, United Methodist. © Gervase N. E. Charmley (2011).
03 June 2006
© Steve Bulman