The Churches of Britain and Ireland
Hartlepool, County Durham
Baptist Church, now The Studio on Archer Street, dates from 1890. © Martin Briscoe. Another view. © Martin Richter (2011). Howard Richter advises that there was a Baptist Church in Tower Street (Tower Street and Archer Street intersect) which was built in 1867, and suggests that the 1890 church was built as the replacement for the earlier one. The grid ref. for this one is NZ 511 325.
Christ Church (1850-4). Grade II listed, it has been redundant since 1973, and is now an art gallery. NZ 511 326. © Bill Henderson. Three further views - 1, 2, 3, all © Martin Richter (2011). Link1. Link2. Link3.
The former Friends' Meeting House (the white building with slate roof). Labelled as such on a 1969 map. It is not so-named on a 1975-6 map, so may have changed use by then. NZ 506 326. © Martin Richter (2011).
Former Methodist Chapel (previously United Methodist) on Lister Street. Another view. Still showing as a "Meth Ch." on 1939/40 maps, and "Ch." on the 1952 map, by 1955 it shows as "Hall", so had presumably by this time ceased to be a chapel. NZ 507 321. Both © Martin Richter (2011).
Former Mission Church on Burbank Street. Another view. This was very likely a post-war build, as it doesn't show on maps until the 1955 edition. It was still in use at least until 1984, as it is shown on the 1984-93 edition map. Howard Richter has seen documentation mentioning a mission church from All Saints at Scranton (see above) to the Burbank Estate, built fifty years ago, so this is probably the building meant. It is currently in use as business premises. NZ 512 321. Both © Martin Richter (2011).
Wesleyan Church (1872), now a night-club. It closed in 1973. NZ 509 326. © Martin Briscoe. Two further views - 1, 2, and a close-up showing the detail in the tympanum, all © Martin Richter (2011). Howard Richter advises that the building is currently (2011) empty. There is a planning application on file for change of use to a hotel and restaurant. Grade II listed - link.
Westbourne Methodist Church on Stockton Road. NZ 507 318. © Martin Richter (2011).
York Road Methodist Church (previously United Methodist), which stood on York Road at NZ 506 325. Although Howard
doesn't know when it was closed or demolished, it was still showing on a 1969 map. Can you offer any further details? From an old postcard in Howard Richter's
01 September 2018
© Steve Bulman