The Churches of Britain and Ireland
Headland, Hartlepool, County Durham
Morison Hall, a redundant Methodist Chapel. NZ 529 337. © Martin Briscoe. Howard Richter advises that it appears on old maps as United Methodist in the early 20th century, but by 1939 is shown as a "Hall". Morison commemorates A. E. "Bertie" Morison, who was a local leader of the Boys' Brigade who used the Hall. News of an arson attack. Link1. Link2. Link3.
Northgate Methodist Church opened in 1839, closed in 1969, and subsequently demolished. The site (on Northgate and Darlington Street) remains un-developed. This link implies that Northgate was built as a replacement for a yet earlier chapel (1793) near the Town Wall, deemed too small. This view also shows the rear of the Independent Chapel (see above). An 1857 map shows a "U.P. Chapel", presumably United Presbyterian, under the back wall of the Independent Chapel, so would have shown in the last view if it still existed. On later maps what appears to be the same building is "R.C. School". NZ 527 340. © Martin Richter (2011).
Old Gospel Hall - according to the plaque by the door. NZ 524 337. At one time it was "Custom House", and later "Inst." on old maps, eventually appearing as Gospel Hall on the 1954-5 edition. For sale in 2011. © Martin Richter (2011).
The former St. Andrew (ca. 1862) on The Headland is being converted (2010) into a cafe. NZ 528 335. © Alan Blacklock (2010). Howard Richter has found a reference to it having been closed in 1981, and the organ having been moved to Elwick. The following photos (all © Martin Richter, 2011) show the building after installation of new windows - 1, 2, 3 (with Andy Capp in the foreground - his creator, Reg Smythe was a native of Hartlepool). Link 1 (which says built in 1886). Links 2, 3, and 4 all news stories on the conversion. Howard Richter has advised that the cafe is now trading, as evidenced by this link. Grade II listed - link (also see the "Photos" tab).
St. Helen's Lodge No. 531 on Regent Street is very likely a former Wesleyan Reform Chapel, shown as such on the 1862 OS map. By 1919 it shows only as "Hall". The gable-end looks right, though it appears as though some changes have been made. NZ 529 336. © Martin Richter (2011).
Former (?) Salvation Army Citadel. Built 1968-9, it is now in use as a fitness centre, but is still listed on the S.A. website. Its predecessor was on Lumley Street, and was demolished in 1966. NZ 524 342. © Martin Richter (2011).
30 October 2015
© Steve Bulman