South Hartlepool, Hartlepool, County Durham
The former Belle Vue Methodist Chapel on Lower Oxford
Street and South Parade. Was United Methodist prior to the Union in 1932, and was still in use in 1940. Now converted to a private residence. NZ 509 315. Its
former Sunday Schools stand adjacent, and the inscriber stone reads "BELLE VUE SCHOOLS A.D. 1871".
Both © Martin Richter (2011).
Browning Avenue Baptist Church on Browning Avenue also has a sign saying
Providence Baptist Church. Another view. NZ 498 313. Both © Martin Richter (2011).
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on Catcote Road and Marlowe Road.
Another view. NZ 494 309. Both © Martin Richter (2011).
Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses on Ashgrove Avenue. Howard Richter's analysis of old maps show that Belle Vue
Congregational Church (built between the wars) stood on this site. He strongly suspects that some of the fabric of this earlier building is included in the
present church. Can you confirm? Marriage registers for the old church (Congregational/U.R.C.) exist between 1924 and 1984, so the Witnesses must have moved in
after the latter date. NZ 507 312. © Martin Richter (2011).
Oxford Road Baptist
Church also serves as the Orb Centre, "Community Resource and Drop-in Centre". NZ 50 313. © Martin Richter (2011).
Owton Manor Baptist Church on
Catcote Road. © Colin Coates.
St. Aidan (1891) on Stockton Road,
Oxford Road and Oxford Street. Two further views -
2. NZ 507 314. Both © Martin
Richter (2011). Grade II listed - Link.
St. Columba's Centre (CoE, 2009). Its predecessor St. Columba stood on the same
site - this had only been built in 1967. Another view. NZ 490 309. Both © Martin Richter (2011).
St. Cuthbert (R.C.) on Stratford Road. It seems to date from ca. 1970, and
replaced an earlier building behind the adjacent presbytery.NZ 506 312. © Martin Richter (2011).
St. James the Apostle on Rossmere Way, Owton
Manor. NZ 499 300. © Martin Richter (2011).
St. Patrick (R.C.) on Owton Manor Lane.
Another view. NZ 488 294. Both © Martin Richter (2011).
St. Teresa (R.C.) on Stockton Road.
Another view. NZ 503 296. Both © Martin Richter (2011).
Grange Cemetery Chapel. © Martin Richter (2011).