The Churches of Britain and Ireland
Hartlepool (West), County Durham
Church of the Nazarene (on Murray Street and Lowthian Road) was originally a Wesleyan Mission chapel. NZ 504 328. © Martin Richter (2011).
Grange Road Methodist (originally Primitive) Church. NZ 502 326. © Martin Richter (2011).
Oasis Full Gospel Church on Elwick Road was originally Primitive Methodist. NZ 504 319. © Martin Richter (2011).
New Life Fellowship on Osborne Road. It shows on a map of 1919 as "chapel", and in 1955 was Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Howard Richter has found a reference to it being L.D.S. in 1915, so they may have built it. NZ 504 322. © Martin Richter (2011).
A former Pentecostal Church, now the Osborne Road Centre. It appears to have been a church from around WWII until after 1984 - it still shows as "Ch" on maps dated 1984-93. It was also known as Alan Beith Hall at one time, though whether this was related to its use as a church isn't presently known. NZ 504 323. © Martin Richter (2011).
A Presbyterian Church stood on Duke Street and Sandringham Road, showing on maps until 1954. By the late 1960's map, a building with the same floor-plan is shown as Hartlepools United Supporters' Club, as it is today. So the photo may show the site of the church, or some of the buildings may relate to the church. Can you confirm? NZ 500 329. © Martin Richter (2011).
The Salvation Army building on Park Road stands on the site of a United Methodist Church. The UM church was built between 1897 and 1919, and appears to have closed about 1960. Another view. NZ 503 322. Both © Martin Richter (2011).
04 November 2015
© Steve Bulman