The Churches of Britain and Ireland
|St. Paul's, including St.
Brunswick Chapel (1835) was founded by a splinter from the Castle Green Congregational Chapel (for which, see the main Bristol section at the top of this page). Badly damaged by bombing in WW2, it was repaired, but closed soon after the war. The name was carried on by the New Brunswick Congregational Church (for which, see Southmead, below). The building was used as a Masonic Hall for some years, but was refurbished for office use in the 1990's. ST 59240 73685. © Carole Sage (2016). Grade II listed.
The former Christian Gospel Room (1888) stands on what was originally called Bishop Street, but has since been re-named as Princes Street. A 1930 reference has it as a Universal Spiritualist Church. Still apparently in use as a church in the early 1990's, it has since been converted to a private residence. ST 59603 73859. © Carole Sage (2016).
The First Bristol Spiritualist Church occupied the lower two floors of 10 Surrey Street from 1951 until at least 1971. It reverted to residential use at some point. ST 59295 73663. © Carole Sage (2016).
The site of Gideon Congregational Chapel on Newfoundland Road. Founded in 1819, it closed in 1930. A police station was subsequently built here, but that too has now closed, and as of 2017, is for sale. A drawing is available here (scroll down). ST 59640 73685. © Carole Sage (2016).
A tentative entry - a Mission School was founded in the late 1860's on a site between Newfoundland Road and Thomas Street, adjoining, though pre-dating, St. Agnes's Church. Although it's assumed that it included a chapel, it's not known for certain that this was the case. Confirmation would be appreciated. It was founded as a mission from Clifton College, and was later much extended, and it eventually became the Sunday School for St. Agnes. Surplus to requirements in the 1950's, it was taken over and ran as a sports club in 1959, which survived until 2014, and the building has stood empty since. ST 59940 74076. © Carole Sage (2016). Grade II listed.
Potters House Christian Centre (Pentecostal) on Wilson Street occupies an industrial building, from which it commenced in 2013. The church was in St. Werburgh's previously, on Sussex Place. For St. Werburgh's, see the main Bristol City page. ST 59633 73731. © Carole Sage (2016). Link.
The former Providence Chapel (and Providence Hall, at right) on Grosvenor Road. Dating from between 1855 and 1874, it was Particular Baptist in its early years, but a 1914 directory lists it as Brethren. Carole has also found a reference to a Bristol United National Spiritualist Church on Grosvenor Road, but unfortunately and exact address is not given. Can you confirm if they used to meet here, or elsewhere? The church seems to have closed in the 1970's, and is now in use as a community centre. ST 59752 74224. © Carole Sage (2016).
St. Agnes on Thomas Street. Founded in the mid-1880's, it became the parish church following the closure of St. Paul (see next entry) in 1988. Another view. ST 59954 74099. Both © Carole Sage (2016). Link. Two Loxton drawings - 1, 2. Grade II listing, which calls it St. Agnes with St. Simon. This link explains that St. Simon was added following the closure of St. Simon's Church on Lower Ashley Road in 1960.
The former St. Barnabas (interior) on Ashley Road, taken at the time of the last service, at Easter 1954. Here also, the choir and congregation on the day of the last service. ST 59511 74174. © Carole Sage (1954). Link (which has an external photo). A 1941 photo here shows WW2 bomb damage. The site is now home to the Malcolm X Community Centre. © Carole Sage (2016).
The site of St. Nicholas' Gospel Hall (Christian Brethren) on St. Nicholas Road and Davey Street. From map evidence it was built in or before 1874, and a website says it opened in 1875. Still showing as a Gospel Hall on the 1949 O.S. map, later editions have it just as Hall, and it seems to have survived until at least 1970, but the site has since been redeveloped as housing. ST 59771 74073. © Carole Sage (2016).
The former St. Paul, in the care of the Churches Conservation Trust (link, with interior photos), and now used by Circomedia, a circus skills training school. Built in the last decade of the 18th century, it was closed in 1988, and St. Agnes took over as the parish church. ST 59477 73745. © Andrew Ross. Another view, and the war memorial clock, both © Carole Sage (2016). Link. Three Loxton drawings - 1, 2, 3. A rotatable and walk-through view. Grade I listed.
Salvation Army Citadel on Ashley Road. ST 59199 74093. © Rob Kinnon-Brettle. Two old postcard views - 1, 2, and the interior, all from Rob Kinnon-Brettle's collection. The older part of the building, at the left in Rob's photo, has now been replaced with a Community and Family Centre, and is seen here, and here, both © Carole Sage (2016). A previous Salvation Army building can be seen here, in a Loxton drawing of 1917. The old building in Rob's photo is also shown.
The Sisters of the Church on Ashley Road provide pastoral care of the the local community, and have made their home in the former vicarage of St. Barnabas. ST 59531 74181. © Carole Sage (2016).
Unitarian Meeting Hall, on Brunswick Square. This was originally the lodge for the Unitarian graveyard, which stands behind the building. It was refurbished in 1992 to serve as the Meeting Hall following the closure a few years before of Lewins Mead Unitarian Chapel in central Bristol (and for which, see the main Bristol section at the top of this page). Services are also held here by Bristol's Masorti Jewish Community. ST 59271 73687. © Andrew Ross. Another view, © Carole Sage (2016). Link1. Link2 (scroll down).
Wesleyan Holiness Church on City Road and Brigstocke Road. It was originally built in the 1950's as Emmanuel Holiness Church (Jewish), a replacement for the United Jewish Christian Church on Milk Street in central Bristol which was demolished to make way for the Broadmead Shopping Centre development. For the Milk Street Church, see the main section at the top of the page. The present church took over in the early 1990's. ST 59313 73966. © Carole Sage (2016). Link.
The site of the Whitfield Memorial Congregational Church. The church was built between 1874 and 1881 on Ashley Road and Norrisville Road, the name commemorating George Whitfield/Whitefield, one of the founders of Methodism. Despite being quite a large church "seating for 400", it didn't last long, and the houses in Carole's photo were built before the end of WW1. Details on the internet are sparse, and Carole and I have been unable to find any photos or illustrations. ST 59429 74220. © Carole Sage (2016).
06 July 2017
© Steve Bulman