The Churches of Britain and Ireland

  Southmead, Bristol

Southmead on Wikipedia.


Bethany Southmead Baptist Church on Greystoke Avenue. It was founded in 1994 in what was a former Elderly People's Club, and was presumably the successor to Southmead Baptist Church (see below). Another view. ST 58426 78434. Both © Carole Sage (2016).

Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on Lanercost Road. Two further views - 1, 2. ST 58253 78665. All © Carole Sage (2016).

The former Church of the Nazarene, off Doncaster Road. Originally established as a much smaller building in 1965, the remaining concrete pad of which can be seen here, the present building seems to have been put up in the 1980's or 1990's. Closed in 2008, it's now a scout hut, but seems to have been home to Potters House Church for a while as well. ST 58524 77782. Both © Carole Sage (2017). There is a photo of the interior of (presumably) the most recent church here (scroll down).

Services are held in the Greenway Community Centre off Doncaster Road by the Community Church in Westbury-on-Trym.  ST 57847 78015. © Carole Sage (2017).

Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses on Doncaster Road. ST 58505 77754. © Carole Sage (2016).

Kingsholm Church (Evangelical) on Southmead Road was built as Southmead Gospel Hall in 1890. ST 58655 77754. © Carole Sage (2016).

New Brunswick U.R.C. on Wigton Crescent. Re-built following an arson attack in the 1990's, the church was first built as Congregational in 1949, subsequent to the closure of Brunswick Chapel on Brunswick Square in St. Paul's. Another view. ST 58338 78646. Both © Carole Sage (2016).

Pentecostal Holiness Church on Ullswater Road was founded in the early 1960s. Another view. ST 58320 78514. Both © Carole Sage (2016).

The Redeemed Christian Church of God on Pen Park Road occupies the upper floor above a motor services business. Two additional views - 1, 2. ST 58974 78252. All © Carole Sage (2016). Link.

St. Stephen on Ullswater Road was built in the 1950's to replace an earlier church on Shetland Road. Two additional views - 1, 2. ST 58148 78471. All © Carole Sage (2016). Link. The earlier church had been founded as a Mission Church in 1932, and seems to have been called St. Stephen's from the start. Maps show that the mission was either replaced on the same site, or enlarged, and with a church hall added adjacent to it by the early 1950's. What happened to the building after the church transferred to Ullswater Road is not at present known, but at some point it was demolished and replaced by housing. ST 58725 78258. © Carole Sage (2017).

St. Stephenís Hall (aka the White Hall), was built in the 1930s or 1940s on Glencoyne Square. Though not immediately adjacent to St. Stephenís Mission Church (see previous entry) on Shetland Road, itís assumed to have served that church, and then later the new St. Stephenís on Ullswater Road, which is only a matter of yards away. The Gloucestershire Places of Worship website has it listed as a place of worship in its own right, although the only church listed as having worshiped there was Enabling Christian Fellowship. In 1991 the building became the "St. Stephenís Community Work Project", a project run in conjunction with St. Stephenís Church to help local people develop employment skills. However, to judge from its present condition, the building doesnít appear to be in use now. Another view. ST 58123 78524. © Carole Sage (2017).

St. Vincent de Paul (R.C., 1955) on Embleton Road. ST 58131 78589. © Carole Sage (2016). Another view, © Carole Sage (2017). Link.

Southmead Baptist Church once stood set back from Charfield Road. Founded in 1939, it was closed in 1994, and subsequently demolished. The site now lies beneath the access road to Westerleigh Close. It was probably succeeded by Bethany Baptist Church (see above). ST 58664 78347. © Carole Sage (2017).

The huge Southmead Hospital, which dates originally from 1924, had a separate chapel until the early years of the 21st century. Demolished to make way for the Brunel building, which finally opened in 2014, it stood under the rear corner of that building, as shown here. The Sanctuary, a multi-faith facility, was included in the Brunel building. A photo of the demolished chapel is available here. ST 58929 77711. © Carole Sage (2017).

The site of Southmead Mission Church on Southmead Road. Built some time between 1881 and 1903, it may have been closed by 1935, when the O.S. map shows it just as Hall. It seems to have been a mission from Holy Trinity at Westbury-on-Trym. The site is now occupied by a commercial building. ST 58716 77828. © Carole Sage (2017).
 

 

 

 
 

Home

06 August 2017

© Steve Bulman

Contact Details