The Churches of Britain and Ireland
Also see Clifton.
The site of Cumberland Hall (1896), which was a chapel planted from Bethesda Chapel on Great George Street (see Brandon Hill, above). The date of closure is uncertain, but was probably in the 1960's or 1970's, and it was subsequently demolished, the land cleared, and is now the garden of a private residence. A photo of it is available here - it's the building with three round-headed windows, about a quarter of the way in from the right-hand edge. ST 56739 72534. © Carole Sage (2016).
The former Grenville Wesleyan Chapel (1839) on Oldfield Place. Closed by 1954, the building was in commercial use for some years, but was eventually converted into flats. ST 56968 72457. © Carole Sage (2016).
Holy Trinity on Hotwells Road. Another view. Both © Carole Sage (2016). Previously in the "Unknown" section, Ian Lewis's war memorial ceremony photograph was identified by Phil Draper as a ceremony on the 7th of October, 1923, showing the unveiling of the Memorial Windows, later destroyed (along with the rest of the church interior) during the blitz. Originally opened in 1830, the church was re-built within the same walls. ST 57166 72571. Link. An old photo of the church, and a Loxton drawing. The wartime destruction can be seen here.
Hope Chapel, on Hope Chapel Hill, was a private foundation of the late C18. It closed as a church from circa 1980-2000, when it was used as a community centre and arts and theatrical venue. From 2000, Hope Community Church was established here, and it also continues in use as a community and arts centre. ST 56906 72661. © Carole Sage (2016). Grade II listed.
Hotwell House Chapel, or Rock Chapel (Wesleyan Methodist). It's exact location is difficult to pin down - it had a relatively short life, and isn't marked on any maps which Carol has access to. Established in 1849, it was closed by 1867, and it stood on the riverside in the Avon gorge, within sight of Brunel's bridge. The photo shows the approximate location of the chapel. An illustration of Hotwell House is available here, and the chapel, although probably not in this building, would have stood nearby. ST 56551 72862. © Carole Sage (2016).
The site of the New Buckingham Baptist Church on Hotwell Road is now occupied by flats. Built in 1903, it was a replacement for a church on another site acquired by the G.W.R. It was finally demolished in 2000 after being derelict for many years. ST 57257 72529. © Carole Sage (2016). Link - scroll down to Hotwells New Buckingham Baptist.
The site of the former Rownham Mission Hall. Shown on maps dating back to the mid-nineteenth century, it seems to have gone out of use between 1902 and 1914. Demolished at some point, the land now forms part of the gardens for a block of flats. ST 56808 72522. © Carole Sage (2016).
The site of St. Andrew the Less, and Dowry Chapel, now re-developed as flats. Dowry Chapel was founded in the mid 18th century as a chapel of ease to St. Andrew's at Clifton, and necessitated by the increase in the numbers of people taking the waters at the spa in Hotwells. Demolished in 1872 and replaced by St. Andrew the Less, that in turn was closed in 1958 and demolished five years later. ST 56951 72573. © Carole Sage (2016). This link has photos of both buildings, and an interior of St. Andrew, as well as a good history, and there's another good photo here. A Loxton drawing.
The site of the Salvation Army's first home on Hotwells Road, from 1900-1910. Commercial premises now stand on the site. It's likely that the S.A. were using one of a row of terraced properties which stood here. ST 57391 72463. © Carole Sage (2017). It was succeeded by the former Salvation Army Hall on Hotwells Road, which has been used as a shop for many years. It was founded in the early 1900's. ST 57287 72488. © Carole Sage (2016). The next Salvation Army Hall was a former church, also on Hotwells Road. In use from about 1910 following the move from the building in the previous entry, it was predecessor to the next hall, which was in a former chapel on Jacobs Wells Road. This closed around the end of the war. Rob knows it was subsequently used as a furniture store, a Liberal Club, and a martial arts centre, but he doesn't know its current status. © Rob Kinnon-Brettle.
The site of Terrett Memorial Hall. An undenominational Seamen's Mission, Gospel Hall, and rest home for destitute sailors, it was built in the 1890's. It survived the war, but closed soon after, and was demolished to make way for the Cumberland Basin road system. ST 56822 72437. © Carole Sage (2016). A Loxton drawing.
The former Wesleyan Mission Hall on Hotwell Road, now a shop. It dates from the late C19, replacing an earlier chapel on the same site. Date of closure is not currently known. Another view. ST 57305 72485. Both © Carole Sage (2016).
12 November 2017
© Steve Bulman