The Churches of Britain and Ireland
Clifton and Clifton Wood, Bristol
All Saints, with St. John, Pembroke Road. It was built in the 1960's, replacing an 1868 church (also All Saints), destroyed by bombing in WWII. The base of the old tower was incorporated into the new building. ST 57287 73890. © Andrew Ross. Another view, © Carole Sage (2017). Some photos of the exterior and interior of the old church are available here. Note particularly the unusual design of the original tower. Link.
Alma Church, formerly Clifton Bethesda Chapel (1871), stands at the junction of Alma Road and St. John's Road. It was a daughter church of the Christian Brethren Bethesda Chapel at Great George Street on Brandon Hill (for which, see the main Bristol page, Brandon Hill section). ST 57491 73916. © Graeme Harvey. Two further views - 1, 2, both © Carole Sage (2017), who advises that the white-painted building is the church hall. Link.
The former Brandon Free Methodist Church is currently being converted for residential use. It dates from the late 1890's and closed in the 1950's Since then it has been (amongst other uses) a Buddhist Centre, a martial arts school, and Bristol Society of Magic, as well as being known for a time as Moose Hall (perhaps, speculates Carole, because of some association with the Moose International Society). ST 57700 72829. © Carole Sage (2016).
Bristol University Catholic Chaplaincy, on Queens Road. ST 57541 73341. © Carole Sage (2016).
Cathedral of the Holy Apostles (R.C. Pro-Cathedral, 1848) on Park Place. It closed in 1973, and was under threat of demolition for some years. It was saved and has sine been developed as student accommodation. Somewhat surprisingly, it seems not to be listed. Two further views - 1, 2. ST 57729 73213. All © Carole Sage (2016). Link1. Link2. Three Loxton drawings - 1, 2, 3. A rotatable and walk-through view.
Christ Church (1843-4), on Clifton Down Road, was built as a chapel-of-ease to St. Andrew (for which, see below), and since the destruction of the mother church, Christ Church has assumed the role of parish church. A handsome building, the steeple was added in 1859, and the church extended in 1885. ST 57032 73367. © Andrew Ross. Interior view, © Graeme Harvey (2011). Another view, and the interior, now with pews replaced by chairs, both © Carole Sage (2016). Link. A Loxton drawing. Grade II* listed. Curiously, there's a church in Shanghai, broadly based on this church - see here.
The Christian Science Church met at one time in Edgcumbe Hall on Richmond Hill. The building is now used as offices. ST 57663 73364. © Carole Sage (2016).
Christian Science Society on Kensington Place. ST 573 732. © Andrew Ross.
Clifton Down Congregational Church was converted into sheltered housing following its closure in the 1980's. It stands opposite Christ Church and was opened in 1868, the congregation having moved here from Bridge Street Chapel, and for which, see the Bristol City page. ST 56978 73234. © Graeme Harvey (2011). Three additional views - 1, 2, 3, and some of the numerous gargoyles, all © Carole Sage (2016 and 2017). Grade II listed.
Eastern Orthodox Church of the Nativity of the Mother of God was originally a Catholic Apostolic Church, built on University College Road (now University Road) in 1891, and replacing an earlier iron church on Upper Berkeley Place (now Byron Place) in Brandon Hill (for which, see the Bristol page). Another view. ST 57992 73256. Both © Carole Sage (2016). Link.
The former Emmanuel Church on Guthrie Road. Dating from 1860, the tower was added in 1884. Declared redundant in 1974, the body of the church was demolished and flats built on the site. Another view. ST 57147 73986. Both © Carole Sage (2016). Photos of the church are available here. The retained tower is Grade II listed.
Emmaus House on Clifton Hill was for over 40 years a retreat and conference centre run by the Congregation of La Retraite, a Catholic educational and spiritual charity. It has its own chapel. The organisation closed Emmaus House relatively recently, and the buildings are currently being converted back into housing again. The charity now works from Emmaus Spirituality Centre in Whitchurch, Somerset, for which see Somerset. ST 57191 72879. © Carole Sage (2018).
The former Hill’s Almshouses Chapel on Jacob’s Wells Road. The almshouses were built in 1867 for "twelve poor women". The almshouses, and apparently the chapel as well, have been converted to residential use. ST 57689 73019. © Carole Sage (2016).
The site of Hotwells Road Chapel (Wesleyan) on Hotwells Road and Jacob's Wells Road. Built in the 1830's, it was acquired by the Church of England about 20 years later, and dedicated as St. Peter. Circa ST 57827 72610. In the 1870's, the successor St. Peter's was built on an adjacent site (Jacob's Wells Road) whereupon the old church was converted into a library. Both buildings survived until at least 1949, when they are shown on a map of that year, but a block of flats now occupies the sites of both buildings. Another view, showing where the second St. Peter's stood. Both © Carole Sage (2016). A Loxton drawing is very helpful. The church at the left is the Wesleyan/St. Peter, and to the right is the second St. Peter. When this was built, the original church became the church hall. An old photo showing both churches can be seen here.
The site of Jacob's Wells Mission Room on Jacob's Wells Road is now occupied by flats. Dating from the early 1900's, it seems to have closed between the wars. ST 57753 72766. © Carole Sage (2016).
The site of La Mère de Dieu Convent. Originally Manilla Hall, the home of General Sir William Draper, it became a convent in 1882, and demolished shortly before WWI. The present housing was built soon after. A Loxton drawing shows the interior and exterior (unfortunately, the drawings are rotated by 90 degrees). And a old photo of Manilla Hall is available here. ST 57044 73307. © Carole Sage (2016).
The former Pembroke Chapel (Congregational, 1866) on Oakfield Road. It replaced an earlier iron chapel on the same site, and was closed in 1929. The building has been used as a warehouse, and a garage, but is now offices, known as The Old Chapel. Another view. ST 57490 73652. Both © Carole Sage (2016). Link.
Redland Park Church Hall (site of) used to stand on the junction of Whiteladies Road and Hurle Road. The church itself stood on the opposite side of the road, in Redland (for which see the Bristol City page). The hall was built in 1899, and was used for worship following the destruction of the church by bombing in 1940, until the replacement church was built. It ceased to be used as a hall in 1972, and was demolished to make way for shops and offices. ST 57571 74387. © Carole Sage (2016).
Of St. Andrew (the original parish church), all that remains are the foundations and a few courses of stonework (another view), and the gateway to the churchyard. The graveyard is maintained by volunteers. The remains are of the church of 1822, which replaced an earlier and smaller one of the C12. Another victim of WWII, it was demolished in the 1950's. The site of the medieval church stands adjacent, and is marked by the hedging at left. Christ Church (see above) is now the parish church for Clifton. ST 57401 72937. All © Carole Sage (2016). More here. Loxton made some drawings - 1, 2, 3, 4. This photo shows the result of the bombing.
St. Angela’s Convent on Litfield Place, Clifton Down, was established in 1920 by The Sisters of the Temple, who became known as the “Blue Nuns”. It closed in 2010, and the building is now in residential use. ST 56733 73376. © Carole Sage (2016). Grade II listed.
The site of the former St. Anselm on Whatley Road. Built as a chapel of ease to St. John the Evangelist (see below) in the 1890's. Another victim of WWII, it was demolished in 1954, and the site used as a car park until the present health centre was built in the 1970's. ST 57597 74206. © Carole Sage (2016). Link, with photos and illustrations.
St. Catherine of Siena (1840) was a convent chapel in Pro Cathedral Lane. Closed before 1900, the chapel itself has been demolished, but the photo shows a remaining wall from St. Catherine's Hall, one of the associated buildings. ST 57811 73198. The site of the convent itself now lies to the left of the narrow lane, beneath the office block. The location of the wall in the first photo can also be seen on the left of the lane. ST 57806 73191. A Loxton drawing shows the site as it once appeared. © Carole Sage (2016).
The site of St. James the Apostle on Merchant Road is now occupied by a block of flats. Also known as Hensman Memorial Church, it was created as a Chapel of Ease to St. Andrew, and opened in the 1860's. Closed in the 1920's, the BBC used it during the war, but it seems to have been a church again for a few years afterwards (can you supply more details?). It was finally demolished in the 1970's. ST 57275 73020. © Carole Sage (2016). Link.
St. Paul (the Parish Church) on St. Paul's Road. ST 576 735. © Andrew Ross.
St. Peter - see Hotwells Road Chapel, above.
The Student Union Building of Bristol University on Queens Road hosts services (open to all) held by Carmel City Church (for which, see the Brislington page). ST 57511 73287. © Carole Sage (2016). Link.
Unitarian Church on Oakfield Road. © unitarian.co.uk. This, and many other old engravings on this website, are reproduced from the downloadable books on the Unitarian Church Headquarters website here. The books are Pictures of Unitarian Churches by Emily Sharpe (1901) and the 1914 edition of Nonconformist Church Architecture by Ronald P. Jones M.A, (Oxon), and the images are reproduced by kind permission of James Barry of Unitarian Church Headquarters. My appreciation also to Mike Berrell for his efforts in this regard. The church closed in the mid-1980's, and was used as offices for some time, but subsequently converted into flats. ST 57687 73800. Two modern views - 1, 2, both © Carole Sage (2016). Link (scroll down).
The former Vaughan Mission Rooms on Richmond Dale (previously Richmond Hill). Now used as a day nursery, it was built in the mid 19th century as a combined Mission Room and Reading Room, and was linked with St. John the Evangelist (see above). As late as 1951, O.S. maps showed it as Mission House, but by the 1970 edition it was Club. Another view. ST 57256 74703. Both © Carole Sage (2016). Grade II listed.
Victoria Methodist Church on Whiteladies Road. ST 578 734. © Andrew Ross.
The former Wesley Chapel on Wesley Place. Founded in 1835, it had closed by the early 1880's. It then seems to have been a Moravian Church for some time, and O.S. maps up to 1949 show it as Chapel, but later ones show it as Hall. Now occupied by Subud, Bristol; more on Subud here. ST 57309 74757. © Carole Sage (2016).
01 March 2018
© Steve Bulman