The Churches of Britain and Ireland
Christ Church. This is an old postcard from Steve Bulman's Collection,
and had been in the "Unknown" section for a long time. It caused much
discussion, and was finally solved by Phil Draper. It was posted to an address on Anglesey, stamped (though
not franked) in the reign of Edward VII (1901-1910). Simon Davies had suggested
St. Paul, on Vicarage Gate, Kensington, London, which was damaged during
the war, and demolished, but I'd been unable to find any corroborative photos. Brian Curtis had been looking at Old Maps, and deduced that the only way to get a view similar to the
postcard would be by looking SSE along Palace Gardens Terrace. Using Google Earth to get a modern view along that road showed that the houses (which look
Victorian), didn't have gardens - which the view in the postcard shows. In addition, Brian had found an old illustration
here - Plate "19c"-
it seemed more ornate than the church in the postcard - examine the spire, and note also the small turret to the left, not apparent in the
Janet Gimber had also been digging, and found a view of the church looking along
Palace Gardens Terrace - proof positive that the postcard is not of St. Paul.
Select image 55475 from this
Emmaus Church on Claughton Road is the former Free Church of the Welsh. © Gerard Charmley.
Hamilton Memorial U.R.C. on Upton Road. © Magnus Park (2015).
The former Mortuary Chapels (CoE and Non-conformist, 1864) in Flaybrick Cemetery on Tollemache Road, Bidston. There was a Catholic Chapel, demolished in 1971. The cemetery was re-named as Flaybrick Memorial Gardens in 1995. SJ 293 894. © Mike Berrell (2014). Link.
Providence Strict and Particular Baptist Church on Storeton Road has been home to the congregation from Shaw Street Chapel in Liverpool since 2000. © Gerard Charmley.
St. Bede's Chapel and Community Centre (CoE) on Scotts Place and Mona Street, Claughton Village. © Magnus Park (2015).
St. Saviour at Oxton. © Frank Joinson.
The former St. Winefride. © Gerard Charmley.
The former United Methodist Chapel on Claughton Road and Eastbourne Road is now in commercial use. © Gerard Charmley.
The former United Presbyterian Church on Grange Road West. © Gerard Charmley.
01 September 2018
© Steve BulmanContact Details