The Churches of Britain and Ireland
Stockton-on-Tees, County Durham
Picture Stockton website has numerous church photos.
Churches in Billingham (opens another page).
Baptist Tabernacle Church on The Square. Another view. NZ 448 193. An earlier church (1902) stood on Wellington Street, at about NZ 444 193, photos here and here. This in turn was preceded by a yet earlier church on almost the same site. The Wellington Street Church was subsequently used as a Sunday School, and later listed as Grade 2. Both © Martin Richter (2011). Link1. Link2.
The site of the demolished Brunswick Methodist Church, bounded by Dovecot Street, William Street, and Brunswick Street, at NZ 443 190. Built in 1823, it closed in 1871. Although Grade II listed (link), the church was demolished fairly recently, following a roof collapse. The listing link has a tab (Bing Map.....) which shows the church in an aerial view, and also here, on Google StreetView (select the Satellite view). It had been in use as a carpet warehouse. Another view. The Sunday School (also Grade II listed - link) on William Street survives. A close-up of the date-stone. All © Martin Richter (2011). Here's a selection of Picture Stockton images -1, 2, 3, 4 (compare with the first photo in this entry), 5 (has interior view), 6 (windows), and 7 (Sunday School).
The Central Mosque stands on Bowesfield Lane and Westbourne Street, on the site of a Primitive Methodist Chapel which is shown on the 1893 OS map. Date of building and demolition uncertain. NZ 442 185. © Martin Richter (2011). Fully open by 2017, it can be seen here on Google Maps. It has taken the name Farook-e-Azam from its predecessor on Hartington Street (see the Masjid entry below). Link.
Christian Science Centre on Hartington Road. NZ 443 188. © Martin Richter (2011). Howard Richter advises that this was formerly a synagogue. Link. This link shows the premises when it was in use by the Church of the Nazarene in ca, 1985. Note the still-visible Star of David.
Church of the Nazarene on Yarm Road. Built as Christ Church Congregational in 1878, it shows as U.R.C. on the 1981 map. Some time after this the congregation moved to what is now St. Andrew and St. George (see below). The current occupants moved here from what is now the Christian Science Centre (above). Another view. The Congregational School (1905) stands adjacent, and is also visible at the extreme right in the first photo. NZ 439 184. All © Martin Richter (2011). Link.
The former Church Road Primitive Methodist Chapel, later Methodist. Built on or before 1893, it still shows as a "Meth. Ch." on a 1939 map. It went out of use before the 1959-70 edition map, where it is shown as a "Warehouse". It replaced an earlier chapel on a different site, which doesn't survive. NZ 418 193. © Martin Richter (2011).
Holy Trinity Church (undergoing partial demolition) on High Street. NZ 444 186. © Bill Henderson. Two further views - 1, 2, both © Martin Richter (2011). Howard Richter has advised that the church was built 1837-8 and closed in September 1982. It was subsequently used by the Greek Orthodox congregation until it was destroyed by a fire in 1991. The PictureStockton site has lots of old photographs and drawings. The first is at http://www.picturestockton.co.uk/viewpage.aspx?id=68; edit the final number to read 62, 59, 61, 21, 2413, 1782, 56, 434, 64, 4859, 55,1964, 5509, 3917, 90429, 17, 16, 1778, 1986, 3012, 1445, 3952 or 90459 for others. An old postcard view, from Alan Blacklock's Collection. Link. Grade II* listed.
Lightfoot Grove Church, formerly Baptist Church, dating from 1903. © Bill Henderson.
The Masjid Farook-e-Azam on Hartington Street was converted from terraced houses. A new Central Mosque (see above) is being built nearby, so this building will presumably be converted to some other use. The Christian Science Centre can be seen immediately to the right of the mosque. NZ 442 188. © Martin Richter (2011). Link. See also the Central Mosque entry above. Since that was opened, the signage has been removed from the Masjid, and its current use is not apparent. It can be seen here on Google Maps.
The demolished Norton Road Congregational Church (link is to external website) was in use from 1845 until 1973. The site of the church is ca. NZ 445 195, and is now a small garden.
The demolished St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church (1861) stood on Tower Street at about NZ 4459 1862. A photo is available here, showing the rear of the chapel. From map evidence, Howard Richter advises that demolition was between 1984 and 1988.
St. Andrew and St. George (U.R.C.) on Yarm Lane. Another view. This building was originally St. George's Presbyterian Church (1876). The congregations combined in 1934. The demolished St. Andrew (Presbyterian, 1861, see also previous entry) stood on Tower Street, and was the successor to a Scotch Presbyterian Church (1818) on West Row (link). A group seceded from the West Row congregation in 1842, and initially met in Tennant Street, before building the Norton Road Congregational Church (see above). NZ 442 186. Both © Martin Richter (2011). Link1, 2, 3, 4. Grade II listed - link.
St. Cuthbert (R.C., 1958) on Yarm Road. NZ 438 183. © Bill Henderson. Another view, © Martin Richter (2011). According to this source, a previous church of St. Cuthbert stood on the same site from 1920 until it was demolished in 1956. A yet earlier St. Cuthbert's was a school chapel (1884) which stood on what is now St. Cuthbert's Road, at NZ 440 181. Apparently this was demolished relatively recently.
Salvation Army on Palmerston Street. Another view. The building has evidently undergone some major work in the last 3 decades - see the photo (external website) from the 1980's. Is the current building refurbished, or is it a new build incorporating the old datestone of 1901? In a similar vein, there was a building on the same site in 1893 (evident from old maps); whether the datestone records a new build in that year, or records the change of use to the Army is unclear. NZ 442 190. Both © Martin Richter (2011). Link.
Synagogue on Hartington Street. The photo (on an external website) shows the building in about 1985, when it was the Church of the Nazarene, but it does show the Star of David at the top, later removed or obscured. Apparently built as a synagogue in 1906, it was preceded by a building in Skinner Street, which had been in use since about 1885. The Hartington Street premises closed as a synagogue in 1971.
Unitarian Church on Wellington Street. Two further views - 1, 2. The church displays an information board with a little history. NZ 442 192. All © Martin Richter (2011). Link. The previous building (1873) stood on the same site, and a photo can be found by following "The Old Church" link on this page, on the church website. This in turn was preceded by another of about 1699 on the High Street, just north of St. Thomas, at about NZ 445 193, and is seen here, and here. These last two links are to the Picture Stockton website.
Yarm Road Methodist Church. © Bill Henderson.
17 February 2018
© Steve BulmanContact Details