The Churches of Britain and Ireland

 

Billingham, Stockton-on-Tees, County Durham

Billingham on Wikipedia.
 

Baptist Church on Cheviot Crescent. Another view. Although a date-stone says "1950", this link has "formed in 1942", perhaps implying an earlier building. NZ 455 233. Both Martin Richter (2011). Link1. Link2.

Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on The Linkway, as seen by the Streetview van in 2016. NZ 4651 2383.

Holy Rosary (R.C., 1960) on Sidlaw Road and Grosmont Drive. NZ 454 247. Martin Richter (2011). Link1. Link2.

Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses on Leeholme Road and The Linkway. NZ 465 238. Two additional views - 1, 2. All Martin Richter (2011).

The demolished Methodist Central Hall stood at the North-East corner of The Green, at NZ 459 224. Photo link is to an external website. The architectural style is unusual, to say the least, and to my eye seems to owe something to Moorish influences. Built in 1932, it would be interesting to discover the architect. Demolished post-1989 ( the photo was taken in that year).

New Life Church (Pentecostal, Assemblies of God) on Low Grange Avenue. Another view. NZ 468 246. Both Martin Richter (2011). Link

North Billingham Methodist Church (1961-2) on Marsh House Avenue. Another view. NZ 463 251. Both Martin Richter (2011). Link1, which also has a photo of South Billingham Methodist Church on Station Road, at NZ 457 226. Link2.

St. Aidan (dedicated 1955, registers commence in 1956) on Tintern Avenue. Two further views - 1, 2. NZ 460 242. All Martin Richter (2011). Link1. Link2.

St. Columba (U.R.C., originally Presbyterian, 1956-7) on Marsh House Avenue. Another view. NZ 464 241. Both Martin Richter (2011). Link.

St. Cuthbert. NZ 458 223. Bill Henderson. The tower (showing a varied building history), porch, lych-gate, and a stone recording the new works of 1937,  all Martin Richter (2011). Link1. Link2 (which includes a plan and illustration of the church, presumably as it was before the 1937 extension - the reproduced document was published in 1928). Link3. Grade I listed.

St. John the Evangelist (R.C., 1961) on Central Avenue and Cowpen Lane. Another view shows the adjacent presbytery (close-up). There is also a school close to the church, part of which (according to the 1952 OS map) served as the church at that time. NZ 464 229. All Martin Richter (2011). Link.

St. Joseph (R.C.) on Low Grange Avenue and Neasham Avenue. Another view. The parish was created in the early 1960's (see link2 for Holy Rosary above, history page), so the church cannot pre-date this. NZ 470 248. Both Martin Richter (2011). Link.

St. Luke (built 1965) on Low Grange Avenue. Another view. NZ 471 251. Both Martin Richter (2011). Link1. Link2.

St. Mary Magdalene on Whitheouse Road dates from ca. 1966 (baptism register on this link). Another view. NZ 447 243. Both Martin Richter (2011). Link.

The former South Billingham Methodist Church on Station Road. Converted from adjoining residential-cum-commercial properties in the late 20th century (probably no earlier than 1987), it was closed recently (2018 or 2019?). It can be seen on a 2018 Streetview here. NZ 4572 2264.

The Spiritualist Church on Chapel Road was originally a Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, which shows as such on the OS surveyed in 1913. This link doesn't include it as an active Methodist Chapel in 1940, though it still shows as a "Ch." on the map of 1939. Another view. There is a date-stone above the doorway, but it has been defaced to the point of illegibility. NZ 4568 2245. All Martin Richter (2011). Link.

The predecessor of the Wesleyan Chapel mentioned above (see the Spiritualist Church) stood just a little way north of the Spiritualist, at NZ 4569 2247. It pre-dates a map surveyed in 1856. Housing was built on its site, and they can be seen here in a Streetview of 2009 - the terrace behind the green shed. Note the present Spiritualist Church at the left.

 

 

 
 


Home

03 February 2021

Steve Bulman

Contact Details