The Churches of Britain and Ireland

 

Leeds, West Yorkshire

Leeds on Wikipedia.
 

Churches in Adel, Alwoodley and Alwoodley Park, Armley, Beeston and Beeston Hill, Belle Isle, Bramley, Burley, Burmantofts, Calverley, Chapel Allerton, Chapeltown, Cookridge, Crossgates, Far Headingley, Farnley, Farsley, Gipton, Harehills, Hawksworth, Headingley, Holbeck, Horsforth, Hunslet, Hyde Park, Ireland Wood, Kirkstall, Meanwood, Middleton, Moor Allerton, Moortown, Pudsey, Richmond Hill, Rodley, Roundhay and Roundhay Park, Seacroft, Stanningley, Swarcliffe, West Park, Woodhouse and Woodhouse Carr, Wortley. (Some links open a new page).
 

All Souls. Interior view. SE 299 347. Both Michael Bourne.

The former Belgrave Congregational Church (1836, with a hall of 1887). Gerard Charmley (2011).

The former Blenheim Baptist Church on Woodhouse Lane. Gerard Charmley (2011).

Bridge Street Pentecostal Church (1930). Gerard Charmley (2012).

Catholic Cathedral Church of St. Anne on Cookridge Street. The tower. Both Steve Bulman. Another view of this difficult-to-photograph building. Peter Fowler. And an interior view. Stan Walker. He says "Built in 1902-4 by J.H. Eastwood in Arts and Crafts Gothic." Two interior views - 1, 2, and the font, all Dennis Harper (2016). Link. Grade II* listed.

The former Cavendish Street Presbyterian Church - now forms part of Leeds University. Gerard Charmley (2011).

Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints at Austhorpe. Bill Henderson.

Colton Methodist Church, Colton. SE 367 329. Michael Bourne. Link.

Cookridge Methodist Church. Bill Henderson.

Holy Trinity on Boar Lane. SE 302 334. Peter Morgan. A more recent view, Bill Henderson (2011). Link. Grade I listed.

Immaculate Heart of Mary (R.C.), on Harrogate Road. Colin Waters Collection. Interior view, Mike Forbester. Link.

The derelict Lady Lane United Methodist Free Church. Gerard Charmley (2011).

The chapel in Leeds General Infirmary on Great George Street is shared Anglican and R.C., and dedicated to St. Luke. Two interior views - 1, 2. Both David Regan (2014). Link. The infirmary itself in Grade I listed, and the entry text includes the chapel. 

Leeds Parish Church (St. Peter-at-Leeds). Bill Henderson.

Mill Hill Unitarian Church (formerly Presbyterian). The scientist Joseph Priestley served as minister here 1767-1773, according to the plaque. Steve Bulman.

Oxford Place Methodist Church. SE 299 339. Steve Bulman. Another view, giving a feel of how the building appeared before the ornate facade was added. Tim Tomlinson. It is also home to Leeds Methodist Mission Church. Another view. Bill Henderson (2011). Link. Grade II listed - link.

Quaker Meeting House on Woodhouse Lane. The former Meeting House still stands, also on Woodhouse Lane. Both Gerard Charmley (2011). Link.

St. Andrew (Methodist), on Old Lane. Bill Henderson.

St. George & the Crypt. Bill Henderson. Since Bill took his photo, St. George has been adorned with a new spire. David Regan (2014). Link. This old photo shows the church with its original spire.

St. Hilda (R.C.) at Cross Green, Bill Henderson. Two interior views - 1, 2, and the altar, all Mike Forbester. Link.

St. James (Methodist), at Stanks. Bill Henderson.

The former St. John (1634) on Lam Way. Its blue plaque. SE 302 339. Both Bill Henderson (2011). Grade I listed.

St. John the Evangelist at New Briggate. Dating from 1630, it's one of few churches to date from this time. Stan Walker. Two interior views - 1, 2, both Tim Hollinghurst (2012). Link (Churches Conservation Trust).

St. Mary at Whitkirk. Bill Henderson. Interior view, Mike Forbester.

St. Peter, Kirkgate (postcard from circa 1908). Built 1840 by R.D. Chantrell. Jackie Blackman. A modern, and an interior view. Both Stan Walker.

St. Saviour. Bill Henderson.

St. Wilfred at Halton. Bill Henderson. Another view, and two interior views - 1, 2, all Tim Hollinghurst (2012).

The former Salem Congregational Church (1791, re-fronted 1908). Gerard Charmley (2011). Grade II listed - link.

Salvation Army (Leeds Central Corps) on Nile Street. Gerard Charmley (2011). Link.

Seventh-day Adventist Church on Meanwood Road was originally Clowes Primitive Methodist Chapel. It was preceded by an earlier building which stands adjacent. Gerard Charmley (2011).

Temple Newsham Catholic Centre. Bill Henderson.

The Venerable Bede, Wyther. SE 255 342. Michael Bourne.

The former Theosophy Hall. Gerard Charmley (2012).

Tinshill Free Church (1983). SE 249 392. Les Needham. Link.

Trinity Congregational Church (1902). Gerard Charmley (2011). Link. Grade II listed - link.


Adel
Crematorium Chapels in Lawnswood Cemetery and Crematorium on Otley Road. SE 268 391. Mike Berrell (2014).
Methodist Church. SE 269 401. Les Needham.
Quaker Meeting House. Another view. SE 393 264. Both Les Needham.
St. John the Baptist at Adel. From an old postcard in Steve Bulman's Collection. A modern view. Bill Henderson. A fine Norman doorway, interior, showing the Norman chancel arch, and a window, all Kenneth Paver (2014). Link.

Alwoodley and Alwoodley Park
Methodist Church. SE 292 414. Les Needham. Link.
St. Barnabas. SE 289 416. Les Needham. Link.
St. Paul (R.C.). SE 292 407. Les Needham.
St. Stephen. SE 295 402. Les Needham.

Armley

Beeston and Beeston Hill
Beeston Hill Methodist Church was built as Wesleyan. Gerard Charmley (2011).
Church of the Holy Spirit. SE 296 310. Gerard Charmley (2011). Another view, Bill Henderson (2012).
Church of the Nazarene. SE 300 317. Gerard Charmley (2011). Another view, Bill Henderson (2012). Link.
City Evangelical Church. SE 291 316. Michael Bourne.
Methodist Church. Bill Henderson.
St. Anthony of Padua (R.C.). Bill Henderson.
St. David. SE 287 297. Bill Henderson (2012). Link.
St. Francis (R.C.). SE 299 317. Bill Henderson (2012).
St. Mary. Bill Henderson.
Salvation Army Hall on Hunslet Hall Road. SE 299 318. Gerard Charmley (2011). Link.
The former Trinity United Methodist Church. Gerard Charmley (2011).
United Free Church on Malvern Road. SE 295 315. Bill Henderson (2012).

Belle Isle
St. John and St. Barnabas. SE 313 297. Bill Henderson (2012).
St. Peter (R.C.). SE 311 294. Bill Henderson (2012).

Bramley
Bramley Baptist Church. SE 243 349. Michael Bourne. Link.
Christ the King (R.C.). SE 253 354. Michael Bourne.
Church of the Nazarene, previously Primitive Baptist Tabernacle. SE 242 353. Michael Bourne.
The former Ebenezer Wesleyan Church. Gerard Charmley (2012).
The former Primitive Methodist Mission. Gerard Charmley (2012).
St. Peter. SE 245 350. Michael Bourne. Link.
Trinity Methodist Church. SE 401 335. Michael Bourne.

Burley
Bethel Chapel (Pentecostal, previously United Methodist Free Church). Another view. Both Gerard Charmley (2013).
Former Methodist Chapel on Belle Vue Road. Gerard Charmley (2011).
Methodist Church, Burley. Bill Henderson.
St. Matthias at Burley. Bill Henderson.

Burmantofts
St. Agnes (U.R.C.) on Stoney Rock Lane. SE 318 344. Michael Bourne. Since Michael took his photo the church has become St. Agnes United Church (CoE and Baptist). Another view, Mike Berrell (2014). Link.
St. James Hospital, the former Chapel. SE 317 346. Michael Bourne.
The former St. Patrick (R.C.). SE 311 337. Michael Bourne.

Calverley
Methodist Church (1872) on Carr Road, and an interior view, both Gerard Charmley (2013). Link. Grade II listed.
St. Wilfrid on Town Gate. Interior view. Both Gerard Charmley (2013). Link. Grade II* listed.

Chapel Allerton
Church of Our Lady of Czestochowa (Polish Catholic). Gerard Charmley (2011).
Methodist Church. Across the road stands the original building of 1836. Both Gerard Charmley (2011).
St. Matthew (1897).  Colin Waters Collection. Another view, Gerard Charmley (2012). Link.

Chapeltown
Church of Jesus Christ Apostolic. SE 314 349. Michael Bourne.
Holy Rosary (R.C.). SE 308 353. Michael Bourne.
The long-disused Newton Park Union Chapel (1887) was (according to this link) built as Congregational Baptist. The rear of the building is ruinous. It may have been this which is described in the link as having been a synagogue in the 1950's. The chapel also served as a Sikh Gurdwara from 1963. Both Gerard Charmley (2011).
Roscoe Methodist Church. SE 308 354. Michael Bourne. Link.
St. Martin at Potternewton. Michael Bourne. Another view, and an interior view, both Tim Hollinghurst (2012).
Sikh Temple. Gerard Charmley (2011).
United Church of God of Prophecy. Gerard Charmley (2011).
Wesleyan Holiness Church. Gerard Charmley (2012).

Cookridge
Holy Trinity. SE 250 405. Michael Bourne.
Methodist Church. SE 253 403. Michael Bourne.

Crossgates
Crossgates Methodist Chapel. SE 362 347. Michael Bourne.
St. James the Great (1846-7) at Manston. This Victorian Church was demolished to allow the building of a larger church in 1911-1913. From an old postcard in Judy Flynn's Collection.
St. Theresa (R.C.). SE 361 346. Michael Bourne. Link.

Far Headingley
St. Chad. The chancel was added in 1910 to a church originally built in 1868. Stan Walker. Another view. Bill Henderson. An interior view taken from the ringing chamber, Tim Hollinghurst (2012). Link.
The former St. Oswald (1889), undergoing conversion. Another view. SE 283 369. Both Gerard Charmley (2013).

Farnley
The former Stonebridge Methodist Church, previously known as Farnley Hill Methodist Church (1797), and the adjacent Sunday School (1828, with extension in 1921). SE 251 325. Both Michael Bourne. Another view, Mike Berrell (2014)
St. Michael and All Angels (1885 - date-stone, Mike Berrell (2014) on Lawns Lane. SE248 321. Michael Bourne. Link. Since Michael took his photo, the church has now become St. Makarios the Great (Romanian Orthodox). Mike Berrell (2014).

Farsley
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Gerard Charmley (2012).
The former Rehoboth Baptist Church, now in commercial use. Gerard Charmley (2012).
St. John the Evangelist. Gerard Charmley (2012).
Farsley Community Church is the former United Methodist Free Church. Gerard Charmley (2012).
The former Wesleyan Chapel, now in commercial use. Gerard Charmley (2012).

Gipton
Church of the Epiphany (1938). SE 335 353. Michael Bourne. Two interior views - 1, 2, both Tim Hollinghurst (2012). Link.
Gipton Methodist Church. SE 334 351. Michael Bourne.
St. Nicholas (R.C.). SE 337 352. Michael Bourne.

Harehills.

Hawksworth
St. Andrew the Apostle. SE 260 374. Michael Bourne.
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. SE 252 369. Michael Bourne.
St. Mary. SE 252 371. Michael Bourne.

Headingley.

Holbeck
Former Methodist Church. SE 289 323. Michael Bourne.
St. Luke. Bill Henderson.
St. Matthew, now a Community Centre. Bill Henderson.
The former Wesleyan Association Chapel. Gerard Charmley (2011).

Horsforth
Cemetery Chapel. Gerard Charmley (2012).
Central Methodist Church. SE 237 379. Michael Bourne.
Cragg Hill Baptist Church. Bill Henderson.
Grove Methodist Church, originally Wesleyan. Another view. Both Gerard Charmley (2012).
Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses. Gerard Charmley (2012).
Lister Hill Baptist Church. SE 241 390. Michael Bourne. Link.
The former Methodist New Connexion Chapel. Gerard Charmley (2012).
St. James at Woodside. SE 247 383. Michael Bourne.
St. Margaret. Bill Henderson.
St. Mary (R.C.). SE 242 282. Michael Bourne. Link.
The former Salvation Army Hall. Gerard Charmley (2012).
Tinshill Free Church. SE 248 392. Michael Bourne.
Trinity University and All Saints College Chapel (interior view), Mike Forbester. According to this link, the chapel was "opened and dedicated on 13 July 1968".
The former United Methodist Free Church. Gerard Charmley (2012).

Hunslet
Baptist Tabernacle. Bill Henderson.
Church of the Nazarene. SE 313 313. Michael Bourne.
Gospel Hall. SE 307 315. Michael Bourne.
St. Mary the Virgin. Bill Henderson.
The former United Methodist Free Church, now in commercial use. Gerard Charmley (2012).

Hyde Park.

Ireland Wood
Holy Name (R.C.). SE 262 390. Michael Bourne.
St. Paul. SE 260 393. Michael Bourne. Another view, and the interior, both Les Needham.

Kirkstall.

Meanwood
Holy Trinity at Meanwood. Graham Pickles. Interior view, Tim Hollinghurst (2012). Link.
Meanwood Methodist Church (1881). Grade II listed. The previous church (1811) still survives. Both Gerard Charmley (2013). Link.

Middleton
Methodist Church. SE 305 283. Bill Henderson (2012).
St. Cross at Middleton. Bill Henderson.
St. Philip (R.C.). SE 299 282. Bill Henderson (2012).

Moor Allerton
Etz Chaim Synagogue (1980) on Harrogate Road. SE 307 394. Richard Roberts (2017).
St John The Evangelist. Bill Henderson. Another view. Colin Waters Collection.
St. Steven. Graham Pickles.

Moortown
Moortown Baptist Church (1955) on King Lane. Another view. Both Gerard Charmley (2013). Link.
Moortown Methodist Church. Graham Pickles.

Pudsey.

Richmond Hill
The derelict Mount St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church(1852) on Church Road. Gerard Charmley (2012). Link.
Newbourne Methodist Church on Upper Accomodation Road. Gerard Charmley (2012). Link.

Rodley
Church in Rodley (Anglican and Methodist). Gerard Charmley (2012).
The former Ebenezer Chapel (1860). Gerard Charmley (2012).
United Methodist Free Church. Gerard Charmley (2012).

Roundhay and Roundhay Park
Lidgett Park Methodist Church. SE 318 380. Michael Bourne. Link.
Roundhay Methodist Church. SE 329 368. Michael Bourne. Link.
St. Andrew's U.R.C. at Roundhay Park was previously Roundhay Congregational Church. Gerard Charmley (2012).
St. Edmund. SE 319 381. Michael Bourne. Link.
St. John at Roundhay Park. Gerard Charmley (2012).

Seacroft.

Stanningley
Church of the Holy Spirit (R.C.). Gerard Charmley (2012).
Olivet Chapel. Bill Henderson.
St. John's Methodist Church. SE 229 346. Michael Bourne.
St. Paul (disused). Bill Henderson.
St. Thomas. Bill Henderson.
The former Stanningley Baptist Church. Gerard Charmley (2012).
The former Stanningley Congregational Church. Gerard Charmley (2012).

Swarcliffe
Baptist Church. SE 361 361. Michael Bourne.
St. Gregory the Great (R.C.). SE 363 357. Michael Bourne.

West Park
The Assumption of Our Lady (R.C.). SE 260 371. Michael Bourne.
U.R.C. SE 262 377. Bill Henderson. Another view. Michael Bourne.

Woodhouse and Woodhouse Carr
The former (and very grand) Cemetery Chapel in St. George's Cemetery. Gerard Charmley (2011).
Emmanuel Church now serves as the University Chaplaincy. Gerard Charmley (2011). Link.
The former Meanwood Road Methodist Church, built as Wesleyan, and now in commercial use. Gerard Charmley (2011).
Former Methodist New Connexion Chapel on Woodhouse Lane is now a Yates's. Gerard Charmley (2011).
The former New Jerusalem Church. Gerard Charmley (2012).
Notre Dame Chapel is the chapel for the Leeds universities, and the 6th form college. It was built in 1927-9 as a convent chapel. Interior view. Both Mike Forbester. Link.
The former St. Mark on St. Mark's Road (built 1823-5), soon to be converted into offices. Graham Pickles. An old postcard view, from Mary Read's Collection. Mary, who visited in 2001, understood it was to become a community centre. However, this website implies continued use for services, and the ACNY website implies that a church called St. Mark is still in use. Can anyone confirm its present status?
Salvation Army Hall on Meanwood Road. Gerard Charmley (2011).
The former Woodhouse Carr Primitive Methodist Chapel (1871). Gerard Charmley (2013).

Wortley
The former Greenside Wesleyan Church (1847). Gerard Charmley (2013).
Highfield Methodist Church (1982) on Highfield Avenue. Gerard Charmley (2013).
Roman Catholic Church of the Holy Family. Gerard Charmley (2011).
St. John the Evangelist (1898). SE 272 325. Michael Bourne. Another view, Gerard Charmley (2013). Gerard advises that the red brick on the left-most wall shows where a projected tower was never built because the money ran out. Link.
Sri Gurunanak Sikh Temple on Tong Road was formerly United Methodist Free Church (1877). SE 279 330. Gerard Charmley (2011). The date-stone, Mike Berrell (2014).

 

 
 

Home

05 April 2017

Steve Bulman

Contact Details