The Churches of Britain and Ireland

 

Cardiff, Cardiff

Cardiff on Wikipedia.

Churches in Butetown, Caerau, Canton, Cardiff Bay, Cathays, Cyncoed, Ely, Fairwater, Gabalfa, Grangetown, Heath, Leckwith, Llandaff North, Llanishen, Llanrumney, Old St. Mellons, Radyr, Rhiwbina, Riverside, Roath, Rumney, Splott, Tremorfa, Whitchurch. Some links will open a new page.

Adamsdown Gospel Hall. The rear of the building was originally the front; the access was swapped when the road system was re-routed. Gerard Charmley. Another view of the front and rear of the building, both David Gallimore. Link.

All Nations Church, on Sachville Ave. David Shutt. Link.

All Saints on Tyndall Street, Windsor Road, now disused, was originally Anglican, and later Roman Catholic. Gerard Charmley. Two further views - 1, 2 - , both David Gallimore.

All that remains of Bethany Baptist Church is the facade, now engulfed by a department store. Gerard Charmley.

The scant remains of the Blackfriars Friary, in Bute Park. Gerard Charmley (2010). Link.

Cardiff Castle Chapel (interior). On Castle Street. Alex Parker. Link.

Cardiff Metropolitan Cathedral of St. David (R.C.) on Charles Street. David Gallimore. An old postcard view, from Robert Hellier's Collection. Note the difference in design between the postcard and the modern view - this is as a result of post-war restoration, following damage caused by an incendiary bomb. The church glimpsed at the right is Ebenezer Chapel (for which, see below). Link.

The original Cathedral Road Presbyterian Church now serves as a Community Centre. A smaller modern building has been built beside it, and this now serves as the church. Both Gerard Charmley.

The Chapel of Nazareth House Convent is used for services by Cardiff's Polish Catholics. Gerard Charmley.

Christ Church, on Lake Road North. David Gallimore.

Christadelphian Hall. Gerard Charmley.

Christchurch United Church (Ecumenical) at Llanederyn. Gerard Charmley.

Christian Science Church on North Road. Gerard Charmley.

City Temple (Pentecostal). Gerard Charmley. Link.

City U.R.C. on Windsor Place was previously the Windsor Place English Presbyterian Church. Gerard Charmley. Another view. Gerard Charmley (2011). Panoramic interior view. Another interior view. Both David Gallimore.

Clifton Street Presbyterian Church on Newport Road, now an art supplies shop. David Gallimore. Church identification courtesy of Gerard Charmley.

Crwys Welsh Presbyterian Church. The old building now serves as a mosque. Both Gerard Charmley.

East Moors Hall (Presbyterian), now disused. Gerard Charmley.

Ebenezer Chapel on Charles Street in central Cardiff. Another view, also showing part of the Catholic Cathedral. David Gallimore.

Eglwys Dewi Sant (Anglican), formerly St. Andrew, on St. Andrew's Crescent. Another view. Both David Gallimore. And another, this one Gerard Charmley.

The former Guildford Crescent Methodist Church is now a Masonic Temple. The congregation moved to Trinity Methodist Church (see below). Gerard Charmley.

The former Mount Tabor Primitive Wesleyan Church on Moira Terrace, Adamsdown. Gerard Charmley. Another view, David Gallimore, who also has advises that this building is now a synagogue. An old postcard view, from Robert Hellier's Collection.

Former Pembroke Terrace Presbyterian Church on Churchill Way (which was re-named from Pembroke Terrace some years ago). Thanks to Neil Johnson for the church's previous denomination. Now offices. David Gallimore.

Pentyrch Street Baptist Church. Gerard Charmley.

Pontprennau Community Church Centre. Gerard Charmley.

Quaker Meeting House on Charles Street, formerly St. John's Vicarage. Gerard Charmley.

St. Andrew (Methodist) on Caerphilly Road. Gerard Charmley.

St. Cyprian (Anglican Mission) on Monthemer Road. Another view. Both Gerard Charmley.

St. David's Church in Wales Primary School and Ecumenical Church at Pentwyn. Gerard Charmley.

St. Edeyrrn at Llanedeyrn, believed to be of 6th century foundation. ST 223 822. Gerard Charmley (2010). Link.

St. Edward King and Confessor, on Westville Road. David Gallimore.

St. German (High Anglican). David Gallimore.

St. James the Great (1891-4) on Newport Road. Another view. Both David Gallimore. An old postcard view, from Robert Hellier's Collection. Robert advises that the church closed in 2006, and as of 2016 is being converted into flats (see news item). Also just visible at the left is Roath Road Wesleyan Church, for which see Roath.

St. John, on St. John Street. David Gallimore. Link.

St. Paul on Cowbridge Road is Seventh-day Adventist, but was originally Congregational. Gerard Charmley.

The Sikh Temple on Copper Street was originally the schoolroom for the now-demolished Star Street Congregational Church. At one time it was used by the congregation for services. Thanks to Gerard Charmley for the Church identification and history. David Gallimore.

The former Synagogue on Cathedral Road. Only the frontage survives - offices have built on behind. Gerard Charmley.

Tabernacle, in The Hayes, central Cardiff. David Gallimore.

Tabernacle Evangelical Church on Pen-y-Waun Road, Roath Park, was previously U.R.C. Present church usage courtesy of Gerard Charmley. David Gallimore. Link.

Thornhill Baptist Church. Gerard Charmley.

Tredegarville Baptist Church on The Parade. David Gallimore. Correct church name courtesy of Gerard Charmley. An old postcard view, from Robert Hellier's Collection.

Trinity Church was the original Non-Conformist Church in Cardiff, but all that remains is a building site. Gerard Charmley. Another view, from the opposite side. Gerard Charmley (2010).

Trinity Methodist Church on the corner of Four Elms Road and Newport Road. Thanks to Neil Johnson for supplying the church's name. David Gallimore.

The former Unitarian Church on West Grove has recently been bought by the UCKG Church. David Gallimore. Additional information supplied by Neil Johnson. An old illustration, unitarian.co.uk. This, and many other old engravings on this website, are reproduced from the downloadable books on the Unitarian Church Headquarters website here. The books are Pictures of Unitarian Churches by Emily Sharpe (1901) and the 1914 edition of Nonconformist Church Architecture by Ronald P. Jones M.A, (Oxon), and the images are reproduced by kind permission of James Barry of Unitarian Church Headquarters. My appreciation also to Mike Berrell for his efforts in this regard.

United Church of Jesus Christ (Apostolic, Pentecostal), formerly an Anglican Mission Church. Gerard Charmley.

Welsh Evangelical Church, formerly the Kingsway Forward Movement Hall. Another view. Both Gerard Charmley.


Butetown
Bethel Baptist Church - originally a Welsh Independent Chapel, the congregation having moved here from a church in Mountstuart Square (they sold it to the Baptists). The Baptists subsequently moved into Bethel when Independents left. It finally closed in 2000. Gerard Charmley.
Butetown Islamic Centre. Gerard Charmley.
The former Hannah Street Congregational Church, was closed in 2002 and the building sealed. Gerard recently (April, 2009) passed the church and noticed that the doors had been forced. The vandalism inside is very sad to see. Both Gerard Charmley.
Loudon Square Methodist Church. Gerard Charmley.
Noor El Islam Mosque on Maria Street. Gerard Charmley.
New Testament Church of God (Pentecostal). Gerard Charmley.
St. Cuthbert (R.C.). Gerard Charmley.
St. Mary (CiW). Gerard Charmley. Link.
St. Nicholas (Greek Orthodox). Gerard Charmley.

Caerau
Caerau Evangelical Church, of which Gerard says "appears closed". Gerard Charmley.
The Immanuel Presbyterian Church was taken over by the congregation from Llandaff North Evangelical Church when the Presbyterian church closed.
The ruins of St. Mary, sited in an ancient hillfort.
Gerard Charmley (2010). Link.
St. Timothy (CiW). Link.
Gerard Charmley (2010).

Canton.

Cardiff Bay
Church Fellowship Centre (housed in a former Trinity House Lightvessel) at Waterfront Park. Julie Darlington. Link.
The former Norwegian Church (1868 - 1974), on Harbour Drive, now an Arts Centre. Gerard Charmley. Another view. Terry Smith. Link.
The former St. Stephen (CiW), now closed. Gerard Charmley.

Cathays
Apostolic Church on Cathays Terrace. Gerard Charmley.
Bethel Primitive Methodist Chapel on Dalton Street has long-gone, but the schoolroom remains as a reminder.
Cathays Methodist Church. Gerard Charmley.
Cemetery Chapel, Cathays Cemetery (in a disgraceful state, advises David). David Gallimore.
Highfields Church (formerly Crwys Hall Presbyterian Church), Monthemer Road. David Gallimore.
Minny Street Welsh Independent Chapel. Gerard Charmley.
Old and New Testament Church of God (Pentecostal). Gerard Charmley.
St. Andrew and St. Teilo. Gerard Charmley. Link.
Salvation Army Hall, originally Horeb Calvinistic Methodist Chapel. Gerard Charmley.

Cyncoed
All Saints (CiW). Gerard Charmley.
Cyncoed Methodist Church, Cyncoed Road. David Gallimore.
Park End Church (Presbyterian), at the junction of Park End Lane, Llandennis Avenue and Rhyd y Penau Road. David Gallimore. Another view, and two interior views - 1, 2, all Gerard Charmley (2011). This photo ( Robert Hellier (1985)) shows it before the porch was added. Link.
St. Paul (R.C.). Gerard Charmley.
Synagogue. Gerard Charmley.

Ely

Fairwater
Christchurch (U.R.C. and Methodist). Gerard Charmley.
Fairwater Gospel Hall. Gerard Charmley.
Fairwater Presbyterian Church (Welsh Presbyterian). Gerard Charmley.
Holy Family Roman Catholic Church. Gerard Charmley.
St. David (Lutheran). Gerard Charmley.
St. Peter (CiW). Gerard Charmley.

Gabalfa
Emmanuel Baptist Church. Gerard Charmley. Link.
Gabalfa Baptist Church. Gerard Charmley. Link.
The former Herbert Street Baptist Church, now a garage. Another view. Both Gerard Charmley.
Our Lady of Lourdes (R.C.). Gerard Charmley.
St. Mark. Gerard Charmley. Link.

Grangetown
Clare Road Congregational Church (disused). Gerard Charmley.
The former Clive Street Gospel Hall, now residential. Gerard Charmley.
Ebenezer Church, formerly Ebeneser Gospel Hall. Gerard Charmley.
Grangetown Baptist Church. Gerard Charmley.
Grangetown Salvation Army Barracks, formerly Siloam Welsh Baptist Church. Gerard Charmley.
New Hope Christian Centre (Pentecostal). Gerard Charmley.
St. Patrick (R.C.). Gerard Charmley.
St. Paul (CiW). Gerard Charmley. An old postcard view, from Robert Hellier's Collection.
Saltmead Presbyterian Church. Gerard Charmley.

Heath
Heath Evangelical Church on Whitchurch Road. David Gallimore. Interior view. Gerard Charmley. Link.
Heath Gospel Hall. Gerard Charmley.
The former Methodist Mission, now a shop. Gerard Charmley.
St. Joseph. Gerard Charmley.

Leckwith
Leckwith Avenue Gospel Hall, Leckwith. Gerard Charmley.
Sacred Heart (R.C.). Gerard Charmley.

Llandaff North
All Saints. Gerard Charmley.
Brethren Meeting Room, which, as Gerard says, "looks a bit grim".
Llandaff North Gospel Hall. Gerard Charmley.
Llandaff North Methodist Church. Gerard Charmley.
Llandaff North U.R.C. Gerard Charmley.


Llanishen
Bethel U.R.C. Gerard Charmley.
Christ the King (R.C.). Gerard Charmley. Link.
Llanishen Baptist Church. David Gallimore. Link.
Llanishen Evangelical Church. Gerard Charmley.
Llanishen Methodist Church on Melbourne Road, originally Wesleyan. Gerard Charmley. An old postcard view, from Robert Hellier's Collection.
St. Brigid (R.C.). David Gallimore. Link.
St. Faith (CiW). Gerard Charmley. Link.
St. Isan, the Parish Church (CiW). David Gallimore. An old postcard view, from Robert Hellier's Collection. Link.

Llanrumney
Llanrumney Gospel Hall. Gerard Charmley (2010).
St. Cadoc (R.C.). Gerard Charmley (2010).
St. Dyfrig (CiW). Gerard Charmley (2010).
Siloam Baptist Church. Gerard Charmley (2010).

Old St. Mellons
Bethania Methodist Church. Gerard explains that John Wesley is supposed to have preached very near here, following which the Methodist cause in St. Mellon's was founded. Gerard Charmley.
Caersalem Evangelical Baptist Church. Gerard Charmley. Link.
Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses, formerly Soar Independent Chapel. Gerard Charmley. A better view without scaffolding. Gerard Charmley (2011).
St. Mellon (CiW). Gerard Charmley. Another view. Gerard Charmley (2011). Link.

Radyr
Christ Church (CiW). Gerard Charmley. Link.
Radyr Methodist Church. Gerard Charmley.

Rhiwbina
All Saints, the Parish Church. David Gallimore.
Bethany Baptist Church replaced Bethany in the city centre. Gerard Charmley.
Bethel Chapel (Welsh Speaking). David Gallimore.
Bethesda Chapel. David Gallimore.
The former Beulah Chapel (1851) is now a church hall. Gerard Charmley. A comprehensive history.
Beulah Church (U.R.C.)  on Beulah Road. David Gallimore.
Rhiwbina Baptist Church. David Gallimore.

Riverside
Jalalia Mosque and Islamic Education Centre, formerly Clare Gardens Methodist Church. Gerard Charmley.
Victoria Baptist Chapel. Gerard Charmley.

Roath.

Rumney
Alfred Tilly Memorial Church (Baptist). Gerard Charmley.
Church of the Blessed Sacrament (R.C.). Gerard Charmley.
Rumney Gospel Chapel. Gerard Charmley.
Rumney Methodist Centre. 1950's church in the foreground, the 1929 original to the rear. Gerard Charmley. By 2011, the 1950's building had been demolished, and the original building hidden by scaffolding. Gerard Charmley (2011).
St. Augustine (CiW). Gerard Charmley.

Splott
El-Shaddai International Christian Centre on Agate Street. Gerard Charmley (2010). Mike Berrell has advised that this was a Bingo Hall until 2009, and (as its appearance suggests) was originally Splott Cinema, dating from 1913. The building is now known as Restoration House. Link.
St. Alban (R.C.). Gerard Charmley. Link.
St. Saviour. Gerard Charmley.
Salvation Army Hall. Gerard Charmley.
The former Salvation Army Splott Bridge Citadel (disused), previously Mount Hermon Methodist Church. Gerard Charmley. Another view. David Gallimore.
Splott Road Baptist Church. Gerard Charmley.
Splott Road Methodist Church. Gerard Charmley.
Former church on Constellation Street and Metal Street, now Family Contact Centre. David Gallimore. Gerard Charmley advises that this church was Welsh Presbyterian, and Andrew Pearce, grand-son of the Rev. Mark Pearce, who was minister here for many years, advises that the church was known as Metal Street Presbyterian Church.

Tremorfa
Belmont Baptist Church (1950), and the adjacent hall. Both Gerard Charmley (2010). Link.
St. Philip (CiW). Gerard Charmley (2010).

Whitchurch
Ararat Baptist Church on Plas Treoda. Gerard Charmley. Link.
Bethel Baptist Church on Penlline Road. Gerard Charmley. Link.
One bay remains of Ebenezer Calvinistic Methodist Church, attached to a house. Gerard Charmley (2009).
Methodist Church. Gerard Charmley.

St. Mary (CiW). David Roberts. Another view. Gerard Charmley. Link.
St. Teilo (R.C.) on Old Church Road. Gerard Charmley. Link.
Tabernacle (Presbyterian). Gerard Charmley.
The former Chapel of Whitchurch Psychiatric Hospital on Park Road. Another view. ST 145 807. Both Mike Berrell (2015).
Link.
 

 

 
 

Home

11 June 2016

Steve Bulman

Contact Details