The Churches of Britain and Ireland

Alford, Lincolnshire

Alford on Wikipedia.
 

Alford Community Church on West Street. It has a date in Latin numerals above the door for 1820. TF 4515 7585. Mike Berrell (2012). Since Mike took his photo, the church has been re-named or changed hands. It's now The Storehouse Church, seen by Streetview in 2021. Link.

Chapel at Alford Crematorium (2007). TF 4421 7541. Mike Berrell (2012).

The former Congregational Church on Chauntry Road and Hamilton Road, which closed on the last day of 2010. TF 4519 7580. Mike Berrell (2012). Its presumably the successor to the adjacent former Independent Chapel, now in secular use. Built prior to 1845, it was enlarged in that year. TF 4520 7581. Mike Berrell (2012).

The former Methodist Church on West Street, now in secular use. It's dated to 1865 on Genuki, where it's identified as Wesleyan. TF 4531 7599. The congregation now meets in this building which was converted from the Sunday School building of 1866. It stands immediately behind the former Methodist Church. Interior view. All Mike Berrell (2012). Link. Grade II listed.

Mortuary Chapel at Alford Cemetery on Farlesthorpe Road. Another view. TF 4583 7540. Both Mike Berrell (2012).

The former Primitive Methodist Chapel on South Street, now in secular use. Built in 1837, it was enlarged in 1856, and closed in 1946. TF 4554 7572. Mike Berrell (2012). Link. Its predecessor of 1820 has an entry here, where it's identified as a building on what is now Ranters Row. It says it was sold to a Baptist congregation when the new P.M. chapel opened in 1837. 2011 Streetview. TF 4556 7584.

St. Wilfrid on Church Street. TF 4555 7607. Pamela Weston. An old postcard view, from Reg Dosell's Collection. Another view, two interior views - 1, 2, door, and a detail from the lavishly carved pulpit, all Mike Berrell (2012). Two additional views - 1, 2, two windows - 1, 2, four more of the interior - 1, 2, 3, 4, a fine tomb, and the font, all Chris Stafford (2015). Link. Grade I listed. The churchyard war memorial is also listed, as grade II.

Older O.S. maps show a United Free Methodist Chapel off South Street, very close to the surviving former P.M. Chapel. Its Genuki entry provides dates of 1850-1936. Housing has since been built on its site (2009 Streetview). TF 4556 7572.

 

 

 

 

Home

22 December 2023

Steve Bulman

Contact Details