The Churches of Britain and Ireland

Abertillery, Blaenau Gwent

Abbertillery on Wikipedia.
 

Abertillery Cemetery Chapel, on Blaina Road. SO 2013 0696. Gerard Charmley (2011).

Abertillery Methodist Church sits on a site between Tillery Street and Powell Street. It was built as Wesleyan, and is dated in its Coflein entry to a re-build in 1895 on the site of a predecessor of 1854. SO 2184 0437. Gerard Charmley (2011). Link.

Blaenau Gwent Baptist Church on Victoria Street and Corban Court. SO 2153 0467. Coflein dates it to the years preceding 2003, on the site of a predecessor, and adjacent to the site of an even earlier chapel first built in 1660. It shows the site of the earlier chapel on what is now a car park, immediately east of the present chapel (Streetview). SO 2155 0468. Gerard Charmley (2011). Link.

The derelict Carmel Chapel. Gerard Charmley (2011).

Ebenezer Baptist Church stands on Park Road and an apparently un-named road running down between Park Road and Church Street. It's dated in its Coflein entry either to 1877, or a re-build or improvement in 1905. Gerard's photo shows what seems to be the rear of the church - Streeetview shows the frontage on Park Road. SO 2182 0425. Gerard Charmley (2011). Link.

King Street Baptist Church (1855). Coflein dates it to 1855. SO 2171 0397. Gerard Charmley (2011). It was being offered for sale in 2021.

Coflein includes an entry for a Kingdom Hall (presumably a Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses) built in the late 20th century. The accompanying map shows it on Tillery Street, near its southern end on the west side, at SO 2179 0439. Unfortunately there are no obvious candidates for this building at the grid reference given, so it may be erroneous. Can you advise precisely where this was?

Methodist Chapel (Primitive Methodist, re-built 1902) on Blaenau Gwent Rows. Coflein advises that it is/was also known as Newtown Methodist Church. SO 2143 0484. Gerard Charmley (2011).

Peniel Pentecostal Church on Tillery Street was at one time Congregational. SO 2180 0447. Gerard Charmley (2011). Facebook.

St. Mary (R.C.) on Queen Street and Hill Street is dated to 1875-6 by Coflein. SO 2185 0396. Gerard Charmley (2011). Link.

St. Michael (CiW) on Church Street and High Street. Another view. SO 2172 0415. Both Gerard Charmley (2011). Link. Coflein dates it to a re-build in 1898-9 of its predecessor of 1853-4.

Tabernacle Congregational Church on Chapel Street. Although dated by Coflein to 1875, a map of 1901 doesn't show a place of worship at this location. SO 2169 0403. Gerard Charmley (2011).

The former Trinity Calvinistic Methodist Chapel (derelict). SO 2182 0426. Gerard Charmley (2011). By 2021 it had evidently been put back into use as it looks in good condition. In this Streetview its date-stone can be seen, which reads Trinity Presbyterian Church of Wales Built 1878, Re-Built 1905. Coflein says it was in secular use "by 1995".
 

 

 

 

Home

19 November 2023

Steve Bulman

Contact Details