The Churches of Britain and Ireland

 

Abergavenny, Monmouthshire

Abergavenny on Wikipedia.
 

Phil Kerton has advised of some churches missing from this webpage - Christchurch on North Street (a chapel of ease to St. Mary's - now added, see below), and cemetery chapels in the Old and New cemeteries. Can you provide photos of these?

Baptist Chapel on Frogmore Street. It's dated by Coflein to 1877, when it was re-built on the site of a predecessor of 1807. SO 2971 1452. Gerard Charmley (2011). Link. Grade II listed.

The derelict Bethany Chapel on Market Street. Its grade II listing dates it to 1882. Gerard Charmley (2011). By 2018 it was in use as a cafe cum shop (Streetview). Coflein.

Castle Street Methodist Church, built as Wesleyan in 1829. SO 2987 1412. Gerard Charmley (2011). At the rear of the church hall (the single storey building at the left of the previous image) is this large mural, Martin Richter (2012). Link - the home page has a photo which will cycle through to interior views. Coflein. Grade II listed.

Castle Street U.R.C., formerly Congregational (Independent). SO 2989 1409. Gerard Charmley (2011). Link. Coflein dates the chapel to 1838, with earlier chapels of 1707 and 1792 on the same site. It also mentions a yet-earlier chapel of 1692 a short distance away. Calling it Old Mission Congregational Chapel, it gives it a grid reference of SO 29840 14120, which puts it a little further north along Castle Street. When the 1792 chapel was built, this chapel was converted to become a minister's residence. It doesn't seem to have survived.

Christadelphian Chapel on Sunny Bank. SO 2940 1428. Gerard Charmley (2011). Phil Kerton has advised that this was originally a Salvation Army meeting hall. As of 2023, Google Streetview says it's "permanently closed".

Christ Church on North Street, as seen by Streetview in 2009. Its Coflein entry dates it to 1879 as a tin tabernacle, later clad in wood as it remains today. Link.

Gateway Christian Centre on Monk Street. SO 3012 1422. Gerard Charmley (2011). By 2016 this had been re-named as Gateway Church. Link.

Gospel Hall on Regent Street. SO 2962 1447. Gerard Charmley (2011). A website mentions its disposal by auction in 2023.

Holy Trinity (CiW) on Baker Street. Coflein dates it to 1840-2 with later additions. Another view. SO 2955 1430. Both Gerard Charmley (2011). Link. Grade II listed.

This Meeting Hall may be a former chapel. Can you confirm? Gerard Charmley (2011). Phil Kerton has advised that this could be the building on the corner of Prospect Road and Pant Lane (Google Earth confirms this), and is therefore probably the former Christadelphian meeting room (active until at least the 1960's).

Mortuary Chapel. Gerard Charmley (2011). Can you advise exactly where this is?

Our Lady and St. Michael (R.C.) on Pen-Y-Pound, undergoing repairs. Gerard Charmley (2011). A 2017 Streetview shows a more recent view. Coflein. Grade II* listed, wherein it's listed to 1858-60.

The former Presbyterian Chapel on Frogmore Street, identified by Janet Gimber who advises that by the time of a 1920 map, it was a "club", and shows on later maps as a "hall", before becoming a commercial property. SO 2966 1450. Gerard Charmley (2011).

Rehoboth Church (Charismatic) on Castle Street. SO 2988 1411. Gerard Charmley (2011). Since Gerard took his photo, the church has been re-named as, or been replaced by, Gateway Church - Rehoboth Centre; 2018 Streetview. Link.

The remains of St. John, on St. John's Street. This was the original parish church, replaced by St. Mary after the Dissolution. St. John was subsequently converted into a school, and more recently it has served as a Masonic Lodge. SO 2984 1420. Gerard Charmley (2011).

St. Mary's Priory Church on Monk Street. Another view. Both Graeme Harvey. Another view, and an interior view, both Gerard Charmley (2011). Link. Coflein. Grade I listed. For other related listed features, see here.

Salvation Army, formerly Tabernacle Primitive Methodist Chapel (1850), on Victoria Street. SO 2958 1431. Gerard Charmley (2011). Link.

Tin Tabernacle on Cae Pen-Y-Dre. SO 2919 1412. Gerard Charmley (2011). Janet Gimber advises, after consulting old maps, that this was built sometime between 1881 and 1901 as a Mission Room. By 1965 it appears as St. Helen's Church (CiW), and it is also labelled similarly on the next map of 1973-1986. The nearby St. Helen's Road pre-dates the Mission Room. Perhaps an older St. Helen's went out of use, and the congregation moved into the Mission Room. Phil Kerton has advised that this was a chapel of ease to Holy Trinity Church. The most recent Streetview is from 2009. Does the church still survive?

Whitefield Presbyterian Chapel on Pen-Y-Pound is dated in its Coflein entry (which calls it Whitfield) to 1907. Another view, showing the schoolrooms. SO 2975 1457. Both Gerard Charmley (2011). Link. Grade II listed. The boundary wall, gates and railings share a separate grade II listing.

 

 

 

 
 

Home

04 November 2023

Steve Bulman

Contact Details