The Churches of Britain and Ireland

Abercarn, Caerphilly

Abercarn on Wikipedia.


Cae Gorlan Baptist Chapel. on Cae Gorlan Street. Charles Haddon Spurgeon preached here, and was sufficiently unimpressed to compare it to a prison. Its Coflein entry dates it to 1905, on the site of earlier chapels of 1873 and 1883. ST 2149 9545. Gerard Charmley (2011).

Chapel of Ease Baptist Church on Chapel Street. According to Coflein, it dates to a re-build in 1895 of an earlier chapel of 1876. ST 2194 9578. Gerard Charmley (2011).

English Baptist Church, with its schoolroom. ST 2174 9417. Gerard Charmley (2011). Grade II listed, wherein it's dated to 1857, however Coflein says 1847 and re-built in 1895 and 1904. The adjacent Sunday School is also listed, as grade II.

The Full Gospel Mission (originally Primitive Methodist). Coflein, which calls it Commercial Road Methodist Chapel, dates it to a 1900 re-build of a chapel of 1875. As of the most recent Streetview (2021) the building remains derelict. ST 2165 9437. Gerard Charmley (2011).

The cemetery on Cemetery Road has a Mortuary Chapel, dated by Coflein to circa 1900. ST 2214 9566. Not visible to Streetview, some photos can be seen on the Images tab on Coflein.

The ruinous St. Luke. Coflein dates it to 1923-6, closing in "about 1980" for structural reasons. ST 2163 9506. Gerard Charmley (2011). Grade II* listed. An earlier St. Luke, its predecessor, stood on Bridge Street at ST 2138 9511. Coflein describes it as a "corrugated iron building" of 1890. The area where it stood has been completely redeveloped. In a 2023 Streetview, its site will lie largely beneath the low building behind the white van.

The U.R.C. now meets in the Rechabite Hall on Gwyddon Road, since their own church was demolished. ST 2168 9497. Gerard Charmley (2011). The old chapel will have been Garn Congregational Chapel, which stood on Garn Street at ST 2154 9508. Coflein dates it to a re-build in 1862 of a chapel of 1846. Its site was seen by Streetview in 2016.

Welsh Presbyterian Chapel. Gerard advises that it was built as Anglican by Lady Llanover, but when the church refused to hold only Welsh-language services, it was given instead to the Presbyterians. It's dated by Coflein to 1853, "improved in 1903". ST 2173 9501. Gerard Charmley (2011).

 

 

 

Home

23 October 2023

Steve Bulman

Contact Details