The Churches of Britain and Ireland

  City of Glasgow

City of Glasgow on Wikipedia.

Churches in Anniesland, Ballieston, Barlanark, Cathcart, Gorbals, Govanhill, Lauriston, Merrylee, Mount Florida, Newlands, Partick, Pollokshields, Queen's Park.

Battlefield East Church (CoS, 1912), aka Clincarthill Parish Church on Cathcart Road. Open Tuesday - Friday mornings. NS 585 612. Janet MacDonald. Two interior views - 1, 2. Both Charles Clegg (2011). Link1. Link2 which says that the adjacent hall is the previous church, and dates it to 1865. It can be seen on a Streetview from 2022.

Carmunnock Parish Church (CoS) on Kirk Road. Open on summer Saturday afternoons. Interior view. NS 5991 5748. Both Charles Clegg (2012). Link1. Link2, which dates it to a re-build in 1767 on a medieval site.

Cathedral Church of St. Mary the Virgin (Episcopal, 1871). NT 249 725. Mehmood Naqshbandi (2009). Interior view (the chancel), Charles Clegg (2011). Link.

Free Presbyterian Church on Woodlands Road. Another view. NS 577 663. Both Mehmood Naqshbandi (2009).

Glasgow Evangelical Church (Independent, 1878) on Cathedral Square. Two interior views - 1, 2. Both Charles Clegg (2012). Link.

Jordanhill Parish Church (1905, CoS, open week-days) - two interior views - 1, 2. Both Charles Clegg (2012). Link.

Kelvinside Hillhead Parish Church (CoS, 1876; open on summer Saturday afternoons 3-5PM) - interior view. Another interior view. Both Charles Clegg (2012). Link.

Lansdowne Parish Church (1863) on Great Western Road was closed due to dry rot, but there is a campaign to repair it. NS 577 668. Mehmood Naqshbandi (2009). Link1. Link2 (Several interior photos).

Renfield St. Stephen's (1852, open most days) on Bath Street. The chancel. Both Charles Clegg (2012). Link.

St. Aloysius (R.C., 1908-10, open most days) on Rose Street, Garnethill - a view of the splendid interior. Charles Clegg (2012). Link.

St. Andrew's Cathedral (1816, R.C., open daily) on Clyde Street, interior view. Charles Clegg (2012). Link.

St. Andrew's in the Square (1754). Two interior views - 1, 2. Since 1993 it has been used as a cultural centre. Both Charles Clegg (2012). Link.

St. Columba (CoS, 1904) on St. Vincent Street (interior view). Charles Clegg (2011). Link. Grade B listed.

St. Mungo's Cathedral (Presbyterian), Castle Street. NS 6025 6557. Aidan McRae Thomson. An old postcard view, from Dave Westrap's Collection. And another (perhaps from the 1920's), from Alan Crax's collection. Interior view, Aidan McRae Thomson. Link1. Link2. Link3.

Sandford Henderson Memorial Church on Kelvinhaugh Street. Another view. NS 569 659. Both Mehmood Naqshbandi (2009).

South Shawlands Church of Scotland on Regwood Street. NS 569 615. Mehmood Naqshbandi (2009).

The former Strathbungo Parish Church (1886-7) on Pollokshaws Road (thanks to Alan Mathew for providing the identification, and the information that it united with Queens Park West Church in the late1970's). NS 580 628. Mehmood Naqshbandi (2009).

Wellington Church (1884), on University Avenue (interior view ). Another interior. Both Charles Clegg (2011). Link1. Link2.

Anniesland Methodist Church on Bearsden Road.
Charles Clegg (2013). Link.
Temple-Anniesland Parish Church (1905, CoS) on Crow road. Charles Clegg (2013). The building immediately to the left of the church is now the church hall, but was originally a United Presbyterian Church (1899). Link. Link2.

Ballieston Old Parish Church. Another view.
Built as a chapel of ease in 1833, when it was known as Crosshill Chapel, it became a parish church in 1872. Both Alan Mathew.
Gospel Hall.
Alan Mathew.
Mure Memorial Church (CoS). Some history here. Alan Mathew.
St. Andrew (C0S, 1974). This is the "New" church. The "Old Halls" opposite, although looking a bit churchy, seems to have been built as a school, and was used later as a hall Alan Mathew. Link.
St. Bridget (R.C.). Alan Mathew. Link.
St. John (Episcopal,1850). Another view. Both Alan Mathew. Link.

Greyfriars (CoS). Another view.  The congregation was founded in 1954, with the church dedicated in 1956, and subsequently extended in 1968.  Both Alan Mathew. Link.
St. Jude and St. John Ogilvie (R.C.) on Pendeen Road, Barlanark. Alan Mathew. Link.

Cathcart Congregational Church on Garry Street.
Charles Clegg (2013).
Cathcart Trinity Parish Church (CoS, 1894) on Clarkston Road. Another view. Both Charles Clegg (2013). Link.
Cathcart United Free Church on Clarkston Road. Charles Clegg (2013).

The remains of Caledonia Road United Presbyterian Church. The church, designed b
y Alexander "Greek" Thomson was severely damaged in a fire in 1965. The link for the architect leads to a Wikipedia article, which also includes photos of the church. NS 5893 6385. Alan Mathew (2019). Link.

Former Church of Christ on Coplaw Street. My appreciation to Janet Gimber for the identification. NS 584 630. Mehmood Naqshbandi (2009).
Masjid-E-Khazra on Butterbiggins Road.
Alan Mathew (2019). Link.
Victoria Evangelical Church on Langside Road, Govanhill. NS 585 628. Mehmood Naqshbandi (2009)
A so far unidentified former church, dated 1903, on Copelaw Street. Now known as "Big Noise", a music education venue.
Alan Mathew (2019).

The former Abbotsford Chalmers Free Church at the junction of Cavendish Street and Pollokshaws Road in 1898.
It closed prior to 1995, when it was converted into flats. Another view. NS 5875 6382. Both Alan Mathew (2019).

St. Gabriel
(R.C.) on Merrylee Road. Charles Clegg (2013). Link.

Mount Florida
Church of Pentecost, the former Mount Florida Parish Church, on Cathcart Road (1884).
Charles Clegg (2013).

Merrylea Holy Trinity Parish Church on Merrylee Road.
Charles Clegg (2013). Link.

St. Peter (1903, R.C., open most days).
Interior view. Both Charles Clegg (2012). Link.
St. Simon (1853, R.C., open most days). Two interior views -
1, 2. All Charles Clegg (2012). Link.

The f
ormer Christian Association Southern Section building stands at the junction of Pollokshaw Road and Maxwell Road. It's now in commercial use. The shield above the door. Both Alan Mathew (2019).
Pollockshields Parish Church
(1878, CoS, open on Wednesday mornings); two interior views - 1, 2, both Charles Clegg (2012). In this view of Albert Drive, the parish church can be seen to the right, with St. Albert to the left.
Alan Mathew (2019).
St. Albert the Great (R.C.) on Albert Drive has had a number of previous incarnations, including Stockwell Free Church (as which it opened in 1887), Albert Road United Free Church, and Albert Drive Church.
Three additional views - 1, 2, 3. NS 5786 6328. All Alan Mathew (2019). Link. Link2.
St. Ninian's Episcopal Church (1872) on Albert Drive. Another view. NS 581 631. Both Mehmood Naqshbandi (2009). Two interior views - 1, 2, both Charles Clegg (2012). Link.

Queen's Park
Queen's Park Baptist Church
was formerly Camphill Parish Church (1876, designed by William Leiper). Charles Clegg (2013). Link.
Queen's Park Parish Church (CoS, 1875). Charles Clegg (2013).





25 August 2023

Steve Bulman

Contact Details