The Churches of Britain and Ireland
York, North Yorkshire
Recommended reading - Stuart
Leadley suggests York’s Other Churches and Chapels, Bryan Seymour (1992). A comprehensive guide with photos and location maps of the places of worship
overshadowed (literally in a couple of cases) by the Minster.
All Saints at Huntington. James advises that a sign says it is joint Anglican and Roman Catholic. © James Murray. This old postcard view was previously in the "Unknown" section. From a postcard in Reg Dosell's Collection, identified by Garry Barr. Another view, © Peter Morgan (2014), who advises that it now called All Saints and St. Andrews. Interior view, © Mike Forbester. Link.
The long demolished All Saints in the Marsh stood on Peasholme Green, adjacent to The Black Swan. Mentioned in a York Wikipedia entry here, it doesn't say on which side of the pub the church was, but this link (see the second photo) shows that it stood to the right of the pub. Circa SE 6075 5195. © Steve Bulman (2015).
All Saints, North Street. © Bill Henderson. The church has some fine glass and wood. The following are all © Steve Bulman (2010) - another view, and one taken from across the river, giving a better appreciation of the spire; three interior views - 1, 2, 3, hammer beam ceiling, finely carved pews, the font with elaborate cover, and three examples of the stained glass - 1, 2, 3.
All Saints, Pavement. © Bill Henderson. The following are all © Steve Bulman (2010) - another view and two interior views - 1, 2, the altar, font, pulpit and lectern, a window, and boards recording the details of parish charities. Link.
The former Bedern Chapel (On Bedern) - this was the Chapel of the Vicars' Choral of York Minster, or St. Peter's Chapel (consecrated in 1349), now home to the York Glaziers Trust. © David Regan. Grade II* listed, which dates it to 1252.
All that remains of the Carmelite Priory is a small stretch of yellow stones, at left, at the base of a later brick wall in Black Horse passage, off Stonebow. Mentioned in A Walk around the Snickelways of York (8th edition, page 53), further details would be welcome. SE 6056 5183. © Steve Bulman (2015).
The former Chapel of the Archbishop's Palace now houses York Minster Library. © David Regan.
Christ Church (aka Holy Trinity) used to stand in what is now known as King's Square. Originally a medieval church, it was re-built in 1861, and demolished in 1937. Some illustrations and photos of the old and re-built church are available here. © Steve Bulman (2014).
Former Congregational Chapel (1816) on Lendal, now a restaurant. © Steve Bulman (2010).
The former Ebenezer Primitive Methodist Chapel (1851) on Little Stonegate. © Steve Bulman (2010).
Haxby and Wigginton Methodist Church, at Wigginton. © James Murray.
Holy Trinity, on Goodramgate. Although of 12th century foundation, the present building is 13th century. Now in the care of the Churches Conservation Trust. Interior view. Both © James Murray. Holy Trinity happily escaped the "improvements" of the Victorians, and has a delightful interior, with box pews. The photos don't really convey the uneven nature of the floor. Three interior views - 1, 2, 3, a squint to give views of the altar (a rare survival), and a curious worn carving of a head, with what looks like a hand. All © Steve Bulman (2010). Link.
Holy Trinity, Micklegate, has some fabric remaining from Holy Trinity Priory. Another view. Chapel. The main doorway. Two interior views - 1, 2, the font and elaborate cover. All © Steve Bulman (2010). Link.
Former Methodist Church on Patrick Pool was used by York Methodists in the 1750's. Only the ground floor is original, the upper storey having been destroyed in a fire, as the plaque explains. Both © Steve Bulman (2010).
St. Andrew, on St. Andrewgate, closed (according to the Wikipedia article) in about 1548. It also lists some of its subsequent usage, including a stint as a brothel! However in 1924 it returned to religious use when it was used as a Gospel Hall for the Plymouth Brethren, and is now known as St. Andrew's Evangelical Church. © David Regan.
St. Crux Parish Room on Pavement includes in its fabric part of the church of St. Crux, demolished in 1887. Inside are preserved some of the monuments from the old church. This link includes an illustration of the church. It now serves as the Parish Hall for All Saints, Pavement. © Steve Bulman (2010). Another view, © Dennis Harper (2013).
St. Edward the Confessor at Dringhouses. © Bill Henderson.
No above-ground trace remains of St. Helen-on-the-Walls, which stood on Aldwark. A pdf report on the excavation of the cemetery is available here. This link includes a photo of the foundations. The 1891 O.S. map erroneously marks the site of the church at SE 6062 5218. The excavation report has allowed Howard Richter to deduce a corrected grid reference of SE 6066 5212. The site is now occupied by housing - 9-13 Hunt Court.
Nothing visible remains of St. John the Baptist (or St. John-in-the-Marsh). A news report (including photos) doesn't locate the church precisely, other than that it was found during a dig on Hungate. Howard Richter advises that the 1891 O.S. map marks the site of the church at SE 6076 5183; the excavation report puts it just a few yards away at SE 6076 5184. It describes the church as "a simple rectangular structure aligned north-east/south-west, measuring approximately 19.25m by 9.25m (c.63 x 30 feet)". It also says that it was decommissioned in 1586.
The former St. John the Evangelist on Micklegate is now a bar. © Steve Bulman (2010).
St. John's College, Old Chapel, on Lord Mayor's Walk - photographed from the city walls. © Steve Bulman (2010).
St. Lawrence on Lawrence Street. David advises that this is claimed to be the largest church in York. In the grounds stands the tower of the medieval church. Both © David Regan. Interior view, and two windows - 1, 2, the latter showing York Minster, all © Mike Forbester. Link.
St. Martin le Grand on Coney Street. Interior view. Bombed in WWII, it was partially re-constructed in 1960 by George Pace. SE 6017 5186. Both © Alan Blacklock. Saved from destruction by being dismantled before the war, the west window was re-erected as a screen in the north wall. © James Murray. Two handsome gargoyles, © Carole Sage (1998).
St. Mary Bishophill Junior on Bishophill Junior claims the title of "oldest church in York". Another view. Mike Forbester has advised that the adjacent building (undergoing renovation in 2010) was the church hall. Leased for many years as a dance school, it has been converted to residential use. All © Steve Bulman (2010). Link. The interior in 1930 is shown on an old postcard here, and here are two modern interiors - 1, 2, both © Mike Forbester. Link. Grade I listed.
St. Mary Bishophill Senior was demolished in 1963. According to the Wikipedia entry, "Some monuments and fittings were moved to St Clements, Scarcroft Road, and parts of the fabric were re-used in the Church of The Holy Redeemer, Boroughbridge Road". A reproduction of an 1843 painting of the church is available here, and there are exterior and interior photos on the two succeeding pages. The site is now a garden, and some of the headstones survive. A video can be seen here. An exterior and interior photo are available here - you'll need to scroll through the film-strip to find them.
Of St. Maurice, on Lord Mayor's Walk, opposite Monk Bar, only the burial ground remains. It was demolished in 1966. This church was preceded by a medieval one, demolished in 1876. © Steve Bulman (2011). Howard Richter has advised of this link, which shows the church - click on the 4th picture in the row of photos below the railway engine. 1910 postcard images show the church and Monk Bar here, and the interior here.
St. Michael on Spurriergate now serves as a cafe, though still with a religious purpose. © Bill Henderson. Interior view. © James Murray. Another view, two interior views - 1, 2, and the organ, all © Steve Bulman (2010). Link.
St. Michael le Belfry. © Bill Henderson. Another view, also showing the main entrance to the Minster, and the spire of the Baptist Church. Guy Fawkes was born nearby, and baptised here. Interior view. Both © James Murray.
St. Wilfrid (R.C., 1864) on Duncombe Place. © Bill Henderson. Another view, © Alan Blacklock. The grand double-doorway, with tympanum. © Steve Bulman (2010). The interior, © Mike Forbester. Link. Grade II listed.
The site of the demolished Salem Congregational Chapel on Spen Lane, now occupied by a former office block converted into flats. Another view. This source supplies dates of 1839-1953, demolition following in 1963. SE 6067 5200. Both © Howard Richter (2017). An image of an old postcard of the chapel is available here.
The Rock Church (Assemblies of God) on Priory Street was originally Wesleyan Methodist (1856). © Steve Bulman (2010).
Trinity Chapel (1856) stood on Peckitt Street and Clifford Street. Long used as a fire station, it was being demolished on a recent visit, though it looks as though the facade will be retained. Another view. SE 60369 51495. Both © Steve Bulman (2017). Link (with photo, as it was when in use as the fire station).
The former United Methodist Free Church (the white building in the middle distance, with round-headed windows) on Goodramgate, now in commercial use. It became the Monk Bar Central Mission in 1919, and closed as a church in 1934. Howard Richter has advised of this image of an old postcard of 1910, showing the chapel. Note the inscription on the building of 1858, and United Methodist Church Founded 1907, 1907 referring to the date of the merger of the United Methodist Free Churches, the Methodist New Connexion, and the Bible Christian Church. SE 6055 5222. © Steve Bulman (2016). Link (which states a building date of 1859).
The former Victoria Bar Primitive Methodist Chapel on Victor Street has been converted to residential use. © Steve Bulman (2010).
The former Wesleyan Methodist Church on Aldwark. Successor to the Methodist Church on Patrick Pool (see above), it was opened in 1759 by John Wesley, who preached here often. Another view. A plaque gives a little history. SE 607 520. All © Howard Richter (2017). Link, which has much interesting information about the history of non-conformity in York. Grade II listing, which says its use as a chapel ceased in 1805.
York Baptist Church on Priory Street. Pevsner says the tower was reduced in height in 1939. © Steve Bulman (2010).
York Minster. SE 603 521. © Bill Henderson. The West End. © James Murray. The Choir and High Altar. The famous East Window would normally be in this view, but is covered up during restoration work (2008). The Choir, facing west, showing the organ. Another view of the organ (and rood screen), from the Nave. All interior views © James Murray. A fine black and white photo of one of the towers. It shows the quality of the stonework very well. © Tony Denham. The following are all from Christopher Skottowe's postcard collection - the Nave, Choir, and two exterior views - 1, 2.
07 November 2017
© Steve BulmanContact Details