The Churches of Britain and Ireland

Workington, Cumbria

Workington on Wikipedia.
 

A map of 1866 shows "Bethel" (not identified any more closely than this) on Church Lane and Falcon Street at NX 9962 2896. See Christian Spiritualist Church below.

Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on Brow Top. NY 0023 2891. Malcolm Minshaw. Since Malcolm took his photo, the L.D.S. have moved out (2020 news story), and according to their website now meet in Venture House (2022 Streetview), Regents Court, on Guard Street.

Emmanuel Church on Vulcans Lane. NY 00115 28577. Malcolm Minshaw. Link.

An English Presbyterian Chapel shows on Sanderson Street on a map of 1866. It survived into the mid-20th century as a place of worship, but the chapel, and Sanderson Street have both gone. Its site now lies beneath the norther part of Debenham's (2018 Streetview). NY 0046 2869.

Evangelical Baptist Church. Malcolm Minshaw. Now known as Grace Baptist Church, (it changed between July 2015 and August 2018) it stands at the junction of Gray Street and Harrington Road, at NY 0017 3823. 2018 Streetview. Link.

Gospel Hall on Corporation Road and Hyde Street, as seen by Streetview in 2016. It pre-dates a map of 1900. NX 9980 2864. Link.

The former Holy Trinity at Northside. NX 9998 2963. Steve Bulman. Closure news item (2014), in 2015, and in 2019, on conversions plans to convert into a house.

A map of 1900 shows a Mission Hall on Queen Street at NX 9964 2848. The building on the site today (2022 Streetview) is, according to this source, the re-clad original Wesleyan chapel, an iron building of 1894 closed in the early 1950's.

Our Lady of St Michael and the Sea (R.C., 1876) on Bank Road. NY 00512 2826. Barry Lawman. Link. Grade II listed. 2019 news item about inclusion on the "Heritage at Risk" list. 2020 news story about plans for an extension.

A Primitive Methodist Chapel once stood on John Street. Built in 1883, it was closed in 1965. The area was subsequently re-developed, and a photo of the site is available here (no photos of the chapel are known to exist). NY 004 287.

St. Gregory (R.C.) on Edinburgh Avenue and Furness Road, as seen by Streetview in 2022. NY 0008 2722. Link.

St. John on Washington Street, a splendid early C19th church. NY 00446 28493. Malcolm Minshaw. Link. Grade II* listed.

St. Mary on Salisbury Street, Westfield. NX 9945 2729. Malcolm Minshaw. Link.

St. Michael. From an old postcard (franked 1910) in Steve Bulman's Collection. A photo taken in 1996 while still showing the after effects of the fire of 1994. NX 9973 2896. Derek Ellwood. As it is now, fully restored. Malcolm Minshaw. Link. Grade II* listed.

Christian Spiritualist Church on Falcon Street, originally Seamen's Bethel Chapel (1899), though it shows as Bethel on a map of 1866. Part of the tower of St. Michael can also be seen. NX 9962 2896. Steve Bulman (2014). As of 2024, Googlemaps is showing this as "permanently closed". .

Trinity Methodist Church on South William Street dates form the end of the 19th century, and was closed in 2008 when the congregation joined the U.R.C. church across the road to become United Church. See also the next entry. NY 0015 2890. Steve Bulman. The building was looking very sad in early 2018, but there are plans to convert it to housing (news item). Another view. Both Steve Bulman (2018). It's dated here to 1890, as Wesleyan, replacing a predecessor on the same site of 1840, which burned down in 1889 (discussed here).

U.R.C. on South William Street. A map of 1866 show an Independent Chapel (Congregational) here, on the same site. NY 0013 2887. Steve Bulman. Another view, showing the re-named United Church (U.R.C. and Methodist), Steve Bulman (2018).

A Wesleyan Methodist Chapel is listed here as having stood on Tiffin Lane. Dating from 1791, it was later the Sunday School to the predecessor of Trinity Methodist (for which see above) and sold in 1884. The entry includes photos of a wall supposedly from the chapel. It also says that the "site was later occupied by the opera house" which stood until fairly recently on Ladies Walk. 2021 news story about its up-coming demolition. Tiffin Lane has gone, but a map of 1866 shows it, and a Wesleyan Sunday School at NY 0041 2880.

Westfield Gospel Hall (2022 Streetview) on Cross Street. NX 9940 2742. Facebook.

Workington Christian Fellowship on Central Square. NY 0028 2859. Malcolm Minshaw. By 2014 this was called Workington Christ Central, Judith Anderson (2014). Link.

 

 

 

Home

04 April 2024

Steve Bulman

Contact Details