The Churches of Britain and Ireland

Wombwell, South Yorkshire

Wombwell on Wikipedia.


Apostolic Church (1952) on Littlefield Lane. SE 3983 0328. David Regan (2021). Link.

A Congregational Church once stood on High Street, at the junction with George Street. It was the predecessor of the former Congregational Church on Summer Lane, for which see the next entry. It is probably this church mentioned on Genuki as having opened in 1857. A newspaper report from 1937 mentions its sale, and includes a photo. Its demolition followed in the next year, and there's a newpaper report on this too, with photo. Today there are commercial properties on the site, David Regan (2021).

Methodist Church on Summer Lane. A short newspaper article here dates it to the very late 1930's, built as Congregational. Maps still label it as such as late as 1968. SE 3971 0308. Bill Henderson. Another view, David Regan (2021). Link.

The Cemetery on Cemetery Road has two Mortuary Chapels. The more northerly of the two, the Nonconformist, is at SE 3960 0316, and the Anglican (roofless) at SE 3959 0314. Each is grade II listed (they can be found here), and both are dated to 1868. Both David Regan (2021). Link.

The (former?) Mount Tabor Wesleyan Reform Chapel on Barnsley Road dates from 1893. SE 3916 0390. David Regan (2021).

The former Primitive Methodist Henry Adams Memorial Church on Barnsley Road, which has been converted into flats. SE 3967 0335. David Regan (2021). Some background on Henry Adams here.

St. Mary on Church Street. Its grade II listing dates it to 1896-1914. SE 4004 0291. Bill Henderson. Another view, David Regan (2021). An old photo of the church can be seen here. Link. Its grade II listing dates it to 1896-1914.

St. Michael and All Angels (R.C.) on Park Street is dated here to the 1960's, where we are also told that it had a short-lived predecessor on the same site, opening in 1953 and condemned in 1963 because of mining subsidence. SE 4020 0290. David Regan (2021). Link.

There are two Salvation Army buildings. The older former Citadel stands on Station Road and is now in use as a gym. Its opening is dated in a short newspaper article to 1911. SE 4007 0304. The current church building is on Park Street. SE 4017 0289. Both David Regan (2021).

A Spiritualist Church stands on Kelvin Grove. A newspaper article from 1938 dates the church to "about twenty years ago", so around 1918. SE 3995 0274. David Regan (2021). Link.

Together Church on Hough Lane. In 2019 it announced itself as Hough Lane Community Church (Streetview), and in 2011 as Hough Lane Wesleyan Reform Church (Streetview). It was built as Wesleyan Reform in the early years of the 20th century. David Regan (2021). Link.

The former United Methodist Church on Cemetery Road has a date-stone for 1887. It's now in use as a music studio, but was until fairly recently a Pentecostal Church - seen here in 2009 on Streetview. SE 3972 0319. David Regan (2021).

Wombwell Theatre on Park Street is a former Wesleyan Methodist Chapel. It's possible that it's this church which is referred to here (p. 349) as commencing building in 1873. This source dates the sale of the church to 1969. SE 4017 0285. David Regan (2021).

The former Zion Chapel on George Street has a date-stone for 1864. I can't find any maps or references which give its denomination. It's now home to the local amateur operatic society. SE 3993 0300. David Regan (2021).

 

 

 

 

Home

07 November 2021

Steve Bulman

Contact Details