The Churches of Britain and Ireland
Whitby, North Yorkshire
The former Brunswick Methodist Chapel (disused). Built in 1891, it replaced the earlier Skate Lane Chapel (built 1814) on the same site. © Colin Waters.
The now demolished Cliff Street Chapel (previously Cliff Lane Chapel), from an old postcard in Colin Waters' Collection.
The Congregational Church on Skinner Street (© Colin Waters), dating from the 1860's, is evidently the same building as in this old engraving of West Cliff Congregational Church, from the Colin Waters Collection. Approx NZ 896 110.
The former Friends' Meeting House (Quaker), which was sold in 2006. The local Quaker congregation dates from 1676. © Colin Waters.
Former Methodist Church on Church Street. Has been a private residence, but is now in use as a restaurant. © Colin Waters.
St. Hilda at West Cliff. Built between 1884 and 1886 to serve the growing tourist trade, it replaced a corrugated iron church (known as the tin church). NZ 894 112. © Colin Waters. The tin church appears in this old illustration from Colin Waters Collection. Another modern view, © Bill Henderson (2013).
St. Hilda (R.C.) on Brunswick Street was built in 1867 to replace a Roman Catholic Meeting Hall (built 1805). The spire is of fibre glass, and was put up to replace a stone one in 1990. The original was causing structural damage to the rest of the building. © Colin Waters. Two interior views - 1, 2, both © Mike Forbester.
St. Mary. NZ 901 112. From an old postcard in Steve Bulman's Collection. A modern view. © Bill Henderson. Interior view. © Colin Waters. The following are © John Bowdler - another view, showing the sun-dial, two interior views - 1, 2 - and the font. Link.
The long-gone St. Michael stood on what is now the Church Street car park. Colin advises that illustrations of this church are rare. St. Michael stands just behind the boat in the harbour. Also visible in this 19th century print are St. Mary (top-middle) and the Abbey (top-right). From the Colin Waters' Collection. A sketch by Colin shows it in greater details. © Colin Waters' Collection.
St. Ninian's Church, formerly St. Ninian's Proprietory Chapel on Baxtergate. Colin explains "It is a privately owned (but public) 'high church' with many of its congregation being share-holders." © Colin Waters. Three interior views - 1, 2, 3, all © Mike Forbester.
Old St. Ninnian's Chapel also stood on Baxtergate. The illustration on this old handbill show the building as it was when used as a wine vaults. The site is currently occupied by the HSBC bank. From the Colin Waters' Collection.
The former St. Patrick (R.C.), on Church Street, which has recently been decommissioned and put up for sale. The only indication of a church is the panel above the door, in an otherwise normal Georgian House.
Former Salvation Army Hall. The building has a new frontage and is a chip shop. © Rob Brettle.
Trinity Reformed Church (formerly Presbyterian), on Flowergate. © Colin Waters.
Unitarian Chapel (formerly Presbyterian) on Flowergate. This chapel, which dates from 1676, has no frontage on any street, other than this doorway. © Colin Waters.
The former Wesley Hall. © Tom Halstead.
Whitby Abbey. Another view. NZ 903 112. Both © David Nicholson. Another view. © Bill Henderson. An old engraving in Colin Waters' Collection, showing the Abbey before the tower fell (1700's). Three further views - 1, 2, 3, all © John Bowdler. Link.
17 February 2018
© Steve BulmanContact Details