The Churches of Britain and Ireland
High Street Chapel (U.R.C.) was originally High Street Congregational Church, dating from 1875, is commonly known as the "Pork Pie" chapel, for obvious reasons. It replaced Salem Chapel which stands behind Pork Pie. Another view. Both © Gervase N. E. Charmley.
Alma Street Wesleyan Reform Church was founded as the Independent Wesleyan Chapel (1877). © Gervase N. E. Charmley.
Little Zoar Strict Baptist Chapel (1808). When its successor church was built Tabernacle - see below), it served as the church hall. © Gervase N. E. Charmley.
Mosque on Winstanley Road. It looks as if it was previously a chapel - can you give it a name? © Gervase N. E. Charmley.
Our Lady of the Sacred Heart (R.C.). © Gervase N. E. Charmley.
Reachout Community Church (Pentecostal AoG, 1996). There has been a local congregation since the 1930's. © Gervase N. E. Charmley.
St. Barnabas. From an old postcard (franked 1910), Bulman Collection.
Prior to the Victoria Congregational, the congregation met at Salem Congregational Chapel (1812). This was used as the church hall after the new church was built. Another view. Both © Gervase N. E. Charmley.
Society of Friends Meeting House (1819), a rather attractive building. © Gervase N. E. Charmley.
Tabernacle Baptist Chapel (1863) - the successor to Little Zoar. Gervase advises that a major renovation of 1901 (which added the porch) was paid for by a local brewer. In the days of Temperance, this upset some of the congregation, who split off and built Mill Road (see above). Interior view. Both © Gervase N. E. Charmley.
Victoria Centre (U.R.C.), was a plant from the High Street Chapel in the 1890's when the Victoria estate was developed. © Gervase N. E. Charmley.
21 June 2018
© Steve BulmanContact Details