The Churches of Britain and Ireland

Wath upon Dearne, South Yorkshire

Wath upon Dearne on Wikipedia.


All Saints. Interior view, and the Lady Chapel. An unusual object in a local park - the top of the original spire of All Saints. When was it taken down? SE 4325 0089. All James Murray. Another view, David Regan (2021). Link. Grade I listed.

Older O.S. maps show two Mortuary Chapels in the cemetery on Cemetery Road. Aerial photographs suggest that they no longer exist, but the sites aren't visible on Streetview. Their grid references are, for the Nonconformist Chapel, SE 4317 0027, and for the Church of England, SE 4319 0027.

A Plymouth Brethren Meeting House stands on Chapel Street at SE 4333 0057. It pre-dates a map of 1890. David Regan (2021).

The site of a Primitive Methodist Chapel, on West Street, at SE 4340 0093. This source dates it to 1864, or perhaps a little earlier, to sometime between 1957 and 1970. David Regan (2021).

The former St. James on Doncaster Road was being offered for sale in 2009. Another view. SE 4427 0085. Both James Murray. By 2016 the church had been demolished, and the site, as of 2021, remains undeveloped, as can be seen on a Streetview from that year.

St. Joseph (R.C.) on Doncaster Road and Carr Road. SE 4409 0083. James Murray. Link.

Salvation Army Church on West Street. David advises that they had an earlier building somewhere on Market Place, but even that doesn't exist now. SE 4343 0087. David Regan (2021). Link.

Trinity Methodist Church (1893) on Church Street and Chapel Street.  SE 4336 0082. James Murray. Another view, David Regan (2021). Its predecessor stands adjacent, and it pre-dates a map of 1849.  When the new church was built, the old chapel became the Sunday School, but David advises that it now serves as the main church once again. Link.

Old O.S. maps mark a Wesleyan Reform Chapel on Grange Road, Newhill, at SE 4292 0004. It stood in the right hand half of the pub car park seen here in a Streetview from 2009. Its successor may be Ebenezer Wesleyan Reform Church, on Oak Road, seen here on the Genuki website, which also dates it to 1938, and describes it as "former".

 

 

 

Home

15 January 2022

Steve Bulman

Contact Details