The Churches of Britain and Ireland
Bethesda Baptist Church. ST 851 575. © Andrew Ross.
Interior view of the Conegre Unitarian Baptist Chapel. © unitarian.co.uk. This, and many other old engravings on this website, are reproduced from the downloadable books on the Unitarian Church Headquarters website here. The books are Pictures of Unitarian Churches by Emily Sharpe (1901) and the 1914 edition of Nonconformist Church Architecture by Ronald P. Jones M.A, (Oxon), and the images are reproduced by kind permission of James Barry of Unitarian Church Headquarters. My appreciation also to Mike Berrell for his efforts in this regard.
Emmanuel Baptist Church off Church Street. This was originally known as Back Street Baptist Church. © Janet Gimber (2017).
Holy Trinity. ST 851 577. © Andrew Ross.
Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses on Islington. © Janet Gimber (2017).
The site of Manvers Street Methodist Church. Offices now stand on the site. © Janet Gimber (2017). A photo is available here, and we also learn that the church was built in 1835. It was demolished at some uncertain date, after 1976.
Methodist Church, on Wesley Rd. ST 852 574. © Andrew Ross.
The former New Testament Church of God on Islington. This had previously been Methodist. © Janet Gimber (2017).
St. James, © Mark Summers.
St. John the Baptist (R.C.). ST 845 577. © Andrew Ross.
St. Stephen, originally the Little Bethel Baptist Chapel dating from 1826, it was sold in the 1850's, and modified by the parish curate by adding the tower, and changing the windows, to serve as a chapel of ease. It was demolished in 1926. © Andrew Jones.
The site of Silver Street Presbyterian Church. It closed in 1927, and was subsequently a Conservative club, and a library, before being demolished in 1959. © Janet Gimber (2017).
The Halve Strict Baptist Chapel, on The Halve. Janet understands that the actual chapel building is in the garden at the rear of the house in the photo, with the only access being through the house. © Janet Gimber (2017).
United Church meet in the Park Club, in Trowbridge Town Park. They took up residence here only recently, having vacated their former home on Church Street. The old church was originally Congregational, and the building dates from 1884. Following the union with the Presbyterians in 1972, it became U.R.C., and was subsequently re-named as United Church after the Methodist congregation moved here from the Manvers Street Methodist Church in 1976. It also seems to have been home to the Quakers and the New Testament Church of God - more details of dates for these would be appreciated. Even this wasn't the first church on the site. It was preceded by "The Tabernacle", and it can be seen in a photo of 1880 here, which also has a useful history. Both © Janet Gimber (2017). Link.
30 January 2018
© Steve BulmanContact Details