The Churches of Britain and Ireland
The former St. George (R.C.) stands opposite the Baptist Church (see above). © Howard Richter (2015). Link, from which "A Nissen hut given by Lord Hesketh was opened as St. George’s on 20th February 1949".
St. Thomas More (R.C.). Built in 1846 as an Independent Chapel, its date of closure is not currently known, but it was taken over by the present congregation in 1976. 1, 2. All © Howard Richter (2015). Link. Link2. Grade II listed.
Standing behind the Baptist Church (see above) is this building, the square part of which has the look of chapel about it. Described by its owner to Howard as a former Methodist Chapel, he has been unable to find any documentary evidence to confirm this, or give any additional information about it. If it is a predecessor of the Wesleyan Chapel (see Methodist, above), then it presumably dates to before 1809. Another view. Both © Howard Richter (2015).
15 February 2018
© Steve BulmanContact Details