The Churches of Britain and Ireland

  Torquay, Devon

Torquay on Wikipedia.

My appreciation to Terry Leaman who owns the Torquay's Churches website for corrections and clarifications to this page.


Churches in Chelston, hele, Torre.

The Abbey Hall Centre on Rock Road was built as a British School in 1853. It now houses St. Bede's Chapel on the top floor, and has in the past been a Synagogue, and has also been home to the Unitarians and Plymouth Brethren. SX 916 638. Paul E. Barnett (2016).

All Saints at Babbacombe. SX 924 653. From an old postcard in Steve Bulman's Collection. A modern view, Paul E. Barnett (2016). Link.

Catholic Church of the Assumption of Our Lady (1853) on Tor Hill Road. SX 913 640. Paul E. Barnett (2014). Link. Grade II listed.

The former Congregational Church. The church was built before 1906, when it shows on the O.S. map of that year. Another view. SX 911 643. Both Paul E. Barnett (2016).

Furrough Cross U.R.C. (built as Independent, opened in 1852). SX 922 656. Paul E. Barnett (2015). Link.

The former Holy Trinity Church (1891) on Meadowfoot Road. SX 921 634. Alan Blacklock. Another view, Paul E. Barnett (2014), who advises that it is now in use as a "soft play" centre. A very churchy-looking memorial hall (1913) stands opposite - this was the church before the current Holy Trinity was built. Paul E. Barnett (2014).

Methodist Central Church. SX 911 643. Andrew Ross.

The former Primitive Methodist Chapel (1868) on Babbacombe Road, now in use as Noah's Ark Childcare Centre. Its date of closure is not presently known, but it was used by the Plymouth Brethren in 1961. SX 926 653. Paul E. Barnett (2015).

The former Quaker Meeting House on Warren Road, in use from 1856 - 1948 (blue plaque). SX 913 638. Both Paul E. Barnett (2014).

Riviera Life Church on Torwood Street. According to this link, it was built as Wesleyan Methodist, opening in 1874. In recent years (it says) it has also been Elim Pentecostal and a Church of the Living Waters. SX 923 637. Paul E. Barnett (2014).

St. Andrew (Greek Orthodox). This was originally St. Petrox, and later St. Saviour, the parish church for Tormoham. SX 909 643. Andrew Ross. Two additional views - 1, 2, both Paul E. Barnett (2016).

The former St. Andrew's Monastery on Torwood Gardens Road, now converted into flats. This was originally St. Andrew (Scottish Presbyterian). The "Monastery" is very misleading, and the name dates from when it was an alcohol-free nightclub! SX 923 636. Alan Blacklock. Another view, Paul E. Barnett (2014).

St. John. SX 918 636. Alan Blacklock. Another view, Paul E. Barnett (2014).

St. Luke on St. Luke's Road. SX 913 639. Andrew Ross. Two additional views - 1, 2. Both Paul E. Barnett (2014). Link. Grade II* listed.

The former St. Mark on St. Marks Road, now The Little Theatre. A Salvin church of the 1850's, it was converted to its present use in 1986-7. SX 925 630. Paul E. Barnett (2015).

St. Mary. Betjeman implies that the tower was destroyed by bombing in WWII, and the subsequent re-build was a great improvement. In fact the tower was the only bit to survive. Although undated, the postcard must pre-date the war. From an old postcard in Steve Bulman's Collection.

St. Mary Magdalene on Union Street. SX 912 644. Andrew Ross. Link.

St. Matthias (1857) on Babbacombe Road. Originally a chapel of ease to St. Mark (see above), this is also a Salvin church, and has now united with the congregations of St. Mark and Holy Trinity, both now closed. SX 932 642. Paul E. Barnett (2016). Link.

Salvation Army. SX 916 642. Paul E. Barnett (2016). Link.

Seventh-day Adventist Church on Warren Road. SX 913 638. Paul E. Barnett (2014).

The former Stark's Salem Chapel on Braddon Hill West. SX 916 638. Paul E. Barnett (2016). Link.

Unitarian and Free Christian Church. SX 919 636. Paul E. Barnett (2014). Link.

Upton Vale Baptist Church (1862-3) on St. Marychurch Road. SX 913 644. Andrew Ross. Another view, and the date-stone, both Norman Cummings (2015). Another view, Paul E. Barnett (2016). Link.

Victoria Park Methodist Church on St. Marychurch Road. SX 916 652. Paul E. Barnett (2015). Link.
 

Chelston
Christadelphian Hall on Sherwell Lane. SX 902 642. Paul E. Barnett (2015). Link.
Church of the Holy Angels (R.C., 1938) on Queensway. SX 898 645. Paul E. Barnett (2015).
Methodist Church (1893). SX 902 639. Paul E. Barnett (2015). Link.
The 1909 Mission House on Innerbrook Road was home for some time to the Methodist New Connexion. SX 903 643. Paul E. Barnett (2015).
St. Peter (1961-2) on Queensway. SX 898 645. Paul E. Barnett (2015). Link.
Former church of 1885 on Old Mill Road. Can you give it a name? SX 903 642. Paul E. Barnett (2015).

Hele
Hele Road Baptist Church (1880). SX 910 660. Paul E. Barnett (2015). Link.

Torre
All Saints on Mill Lane, Torre. SX 907 643. Andrew Ross. Thanks to Bryan McCahey for clearing up the confusion regarding this All Saints, and the entry at the top of the page. Two additional views - 1, 2, both Paul E. Barnett (2015).
Torre Abbey, built as a monastery for the Premonstratensians in 1196, was dissolved in 1539. Much remains of the old buildings, and it now serves as an Art Gallery. Another view. SX 908 639. Both Paul E. Barnett (2015). Link.

 

 
 

Home

22 May 2016

Steve Bulman

Contact Details