The Churches of Britain and Ireland

 

Taunton, Somerset

Taunton on Wikipedia.

Churches in Bathpool, Bishop's Hull, Galmington, Halcon, Priorswood, Rowbarton, Staplegrove, Wilton.


All Saints at Trull stands on Church Road, and the oldest surviving fabric dates from the late 13th century. Another view. ST 2163 2219. Both P. L. Kessler (2019) / The History Files. Link. Grade I listed.

Baptist Church on Silver Street. ST 2316 2443. Andrew Ross. Three interior views - 1, 2, 3, all Mike Berrell (2013). Link. Grade II listed.

Canon Street Christian Centre (Pentecostal) on Canon Street. ST 230 250. Mike Berrell (2013). Link.

Chamberlains (Mission of Taunton Vineyard Church) behind the Congregational Church on North Street. ST 228 247. Mike Berrell (2013). Link.

Christadelphian Hall on Winchester Street. ST 231 249. Andrew Ross. Another view, P. L. Kessler (2019) / The History Files. Link.

The former Comeytrowe Baptist Chapel on Comeytrowe Road, now in residential use. It pre-dates a map of P. L. Kessler (2019) / The History Files.

The former Convent of Perpetual Adoration (R.C., 1867-1929) on Park Street, now in secular use. Inscribed stone. ST 225 245. Both Mike Berrell (2013).

The site of Ebenezer United Methodist Church, which stood on North Street, near its junction with Wood Street. After WW1 Ebenezer United Church was closed, the congregation joining Rowbarton Methodist (for which see Rowbarton, below). P. L. Kessler (2019) / The History Files. Link.

Friends' Meeting House on Bath Place. ST 227 244. Mike Berrell (2013). Another view, P. L. Kessler (2019) / The History Files. Link1. Link2, which says it dates from 1834, though the Quaker presence in Taunton is considerably older.

Gray's Almshouses Chapel (1635) on East Street. Foundation stone. ST 228 245. Both Mike Berrell (2013), who advises that access to the chapel is by appointment only. Link1. Link2 (has interior photos). Grade I listed.

Holy Trinity on Trinity Street. ST 235 241. Andrew Ross. Two interior views - 1, 2, and the list of vicars, which goes back to 1842. All Mike Berrell (2013). Link. Grade II listed.

Independent Congregational Church (1844) on North Street. Three interior views - 1, 2, 3. ST 228 247. All Mike Berrell (2013). Link. Grade II listed.

Kingdom Faith South West Church on The Mount. ST 229 243. Mike Berrell (2013). Link.

Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses on Upper High Street. ST 225 242. Mike Berrell (2013).

King's College Chapel (1898-1903) on South Road. Four interiors - 1, 2, 3, 4. ST 235 240. All Mike Berrell (2013). Link. Grade II listed.

The site of Magdalen Street Ebenezer Chapel stood directly opposite the southern exit of Canon Street, and is now occupied by housing. The earliest map available to me (1888) shows this chapel. The 1904 shows what is probably the same building, but it no longer has a label, and on the 1914 it shows as "Chap", and on the 1930 as "U.M. Ch". P. L. Kessler (2019) / The History Files.

Methodist Church (1994) on Lisieux Way, Holway. The foundation stone. Interior view. ST 245 244. All Mike Berrell (2013). Link.

Oakwood Church (Evangelical Pentecostal) on Obridge Road, Obridge. ST 232 258. Mike Berrell (2013). Link.

The former Octagon Chapel (Christian Brethren, 1964-2012) on East Reach, now in secular use. ST 234 245. Mike Berrell (2013).

Our Lady of Glastonbury (R.C., Society of St. Pius X) on South Street. ST 233 245. Mike Berrell (2013). Another view, P. L. Kessler (2019) / The History Files. Link1. LinK2.

Of the Priory of St. Peter and St. Paul (Augustinian), nothing remains except the Old Priory Barn, although some foundations of the church and cloister were discovered during archaeological investigations in 2005. Link is to a Wikipedia entry (with photograph). ST 231 249.

Riverside Church in The Exchange (the former telephone exchange) on Hamilton Road. Interior. ST 240 249. Both Mike Berrell (2013). Link.

The Masonic Hall on The Crescent was formerly a Roman Catholic Church (1822 - 1860). ST 226 243. Mike Berrell (2013). Grade II* listed.

St. George (R.C., 1860) on Billet Street. ST 230 243. Andrew Ross. Another view, and two interior views - 1, 2, all Mike Berrell (2013). Link. The previous St. George stands on The Crescent, and dates from 1822. After the present church was opened it became St George's Hall, but is now a Masonic Hall. P. L. Kessler (2019) / The History Files.

St. James on St. James Street. ST 2286 2484. Andrew Ross. Another view, P. L. Kessler / The History Files. A postcard from Jan Bradley's Collection, previously in the Unknown section, was identified by Simon Davies. Two interiors - 1, 2, both Mike Berrell (2013). Link. Grade II* listed.

St. John the Evangelist on St. John's Road. ST 223 244. Andrew Ross. Two interior views - 1, 2, both Mike Berrell (2013). Link. Grade I listed.

The former St. Joseph's Convent (R.C.) on South Road, now in residential use. ST 232 243. Mike Berrell (2013). Grade II* listed.

St. Mary Magdalene on Church Square. From an old undated postcard in Steve Bulman's Collection. A modern view, Andrew Ross. An old engraving, dated 1887, from Colin Waters' Collection. Another old postcard view, dated to ca. 1927, from Andrew Ross's Collection. Another view, and two interior views - 1, 2, all Mike Berrell (2013). The South porch, Christopher Skottowe (1965). Another view, and another of the porch, both P. L. Kessler (2019) / The History Files. ST 2288 2462. Link1. Link2. Grade I listed.

Salvation Army on South Street. ST 233 243. Andrew Ross. Since Andrew's visit, an extension has been added. Interior view. Both Mike Berrell (2013). Link.

Seventh-day Adventist Church on Mary Street. ST 229 243. Mike Berrell (2013).

The exact location of the long-demolished Tancred Street Presbyterian Chapel seems to be lost. Built some time following a secession from the Paul Street meeting in 1732, here is a general view. P. L. Kessler (2019) / The History Files.

Taunton Family Church meet at the Albemarle Centre on Albemarle Road, North Town. It was built as Albemarle Baptist Chapel in 1875. Now the Albemarle Centre, it is a registered charity inside whose building many events take place. The date-stone for 1875. ST 227 252. Both Mike Berrell (2013). Interior view, Mike Berrell (2014). Since Mike took his photos, the building has had a makeover, P. L. Kessler (2019) / The History Files. Link.

Taunton Mosque (Sunni) on Tower Lane. The worshippers also use the YMCA on Lisieux Way. Mike Berrell (2013).Link, Further information. Grade II listedYMCA, Patrick Williams (2013), taken at the request of Mike Berrell.

Taunton Vineyard Church, Prayer Room and Offices, The Parlour, behind the Congregational Church on North Street. Interior view. ST 228 247. They also meet at Richard Huish College on South Road. ST 235 238. All Mike Berrell (2013). Link.

Temple Methodist Church on Upper High Street. Three interior views - 1, 2, 3. ST 226 242. All Mike Berrell (2013). Another view, P. L. Kessler (2019) / The History Files. Link. Grade II listed.

Unitarian Church (1721) on Mary Street. Three interior views - 1, 2, 3. Coleridge preached here, and this is recorded on a blue plaque. ST 228 242. All Mike Berrell (2013). Link. Grade II* listed.

The former Thomas Street Christian Fellowship. P. L. Kessler (2019) / The History Files. Link.

U.R.C. on Paul Street. This was previously Church of Christ (1797), before union with the U.R.C. in 1981. It was preceded by St. Paul's Meeting house (1672) on the same site. The dissenting church in Taunton goes back to 1662 - see this useful history. Three interiors - 1, 2, 3, and a list of ministers. ST 229 243. All Mike Berrell (2013). Another view, P. L. Kessler (2019) / The History Files.Link. Grade II listed.

Taunton Vineyard Centre stands on Church Square, near St Mary Magdalene (for which see above). P. L. Kessler (2019) / The History Files.

Wesley's Octagon Chapel (1776 - 1970's) on Middle Street, now in secular use. A plaque commemorates the opening by John Wesley in 1776. ST 229 248. Mike Berrell (2013). Grade II listed.

Bathpool
The former All Saints (1897-1981) on Bridgwater Road, now in secular use. ST 254 260. Mike Berrell (2013).
Church of the Nazarene (1865) on Bridgwater Road was built as Bathpool Chapel. ST 252 259. Mike Berrell (2013). Another view, P. L. Kessler (2019) / The History Files. Link.

Bishop's Hull
Living Light Christian Church on Gipsy Lane. ST 217 261. Mike Berrell (2013). Another view, P. L. Kessler (2019) / The History Files. Link1. Link2.
St. Peter and St. Paul on Bishop's Hull Road. Two interior views - 1, 2. ST 205 248. All Mike Berrell (2013). Another view, P. L. Kessler (2019) / The History Files. Link. Grade II* listed.
Taunton Dean Crematorium (1963) stands in the cemetery south of Wellington New Road. Interior view. ST 206 240. Both Mike Berrell (2013). Another view, P. L. Kessler (2019) / The History Files. Link. Grade II listed.
The former U.R.C. chapel (1718-2005) on Bishop's Hull Road was originally Congregational, and is now in secular use. Mike advises that the local U.R.C. congregation now meet at St, Peter and St. Paul. ST 203 246. Mike Berrell (2013). Another view, P. L. Kessler (2019) / The History Files. Grade II* listed.
 

Galmington
Chapel in Musgrove Park Hospital, Musgrove Park. Another view. ST 214 242. Both Mike Berrell (2013).
The site of Galmington Lane Chapel, a tin tabernacle mission from St. George at Wilton, for which see below. P. L. Kessler (2019) / The History Files. Link.
St. Michael the Archangel on Pitts Close. Two interior views - 1, 2. ST 214 235. All Mike Berrell (2013). Link.

Halcon
All Saints on Roman Road. Two interior views - 1, 2. ST 245 251. All Mike Berrell (2013).
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on Deane Gate Avenue. ST 253 252. David Eastwood (2013). Another view, P. L. Kessler (2019) / The History Files. Link.
Halcon Baptist Church on Crossway. Interior view. ST 244 253. Both Mike Berrell (2013). Link.

Priorswood
St. Peter on Eastwick Road. Two interior views - 1, 2. ST 235 264. All Mike Berrell (2013). Link.
St. Teresa (R.C., 1958) on Eastwick Road. Three interior views - 1, 2, 3. ST 237 264. All Mike Berrell (2013). Another view, P. L. Kessler (2019) / The History Files. Link.

Rowbarton
The former Congregational Church on Kingston Road. It was originally built as a joint Congregational and Baptist chapel in 1869, but by the time a replacement church was built in 1910 it was solely Congregational. The building was subsequently used as a schoolroom, and is today known as Callebaut Hall. The 1910 church became a victim of road widening in 1972, and the site is now covered by gardens - note the stone in the flower bed which has a plaque. All P. L. Kessler (2019) / The History Files.
Methodist Church on Greenway Road. ST 225 258. Andrew Ross. Another view, showing the modern extension, and two interior views - 1, 2, all Mike Berrell (2013). Another view, P. L. Kessler (2019) / The History Files. Link.
St. Andrew on Greenway Avenue. ST 226 257. Andrew Ross. Three interior views - 1, 2, 3, all Mike Berrell (2013). Link.

Staplegrove
Brethren's Meeting Room (Exclusive Brethren) on Corkscrew Lane. ST 220 268. Alan Gardiner (2013).
The New Spiritualist Church meets at Staplegrove Village Hall on Staplegrove Road. NS 214 261. Mike Berrell (2013). Link.
St. John the Evangelist on Manor Road. ST 212 264. Andrew Ross. Two interior views - 1, 2, both Mike Berrell (2013). Link. Grade II listed.
Taunton School Chapel (1867-70) on Staplegrove Road. Three interior views - 1, 2, 3. ST 219 259. All Mike Berrell (2013). Link. Grade II listed.
Wellsprings Chapel (Evangelical) on Quantock Road. ST 223 264. Andrew Ross. Link.

Wilton
St. George on Fons George. From an old postcard (franked 1909) in Steve Bulman's Collection. A modern view, Andrew Ross. Two interior views - 1, 2, and the pulpit, all Mike Berrell (2013). Link. Grade II* listed.

 

 
 

Home

02 October 2020

Steve Bulman

Contact Details