The Churches of Britain and Ireland
|Stalybridge, Greater Manchester
Millbrook Methodist Church, formerly Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, on Chapelfold Close and Fitzroy Street. SJ 979 995. © Mike Berrell.
The vanished Mount Tabor Methodist New Connexion Chapel stood on Besom Lane, Millbrook. This old photo shows a group preparing for a march or celebration, carrying a banner with an image of either the Sunday School or church, probably the latter. From Mike Berrell's Collection. According to this website, the chapel was founded in 1882, but the date of closure and demolition are not known at present. They also give the location as being at grid ref. SJ 980 995.
St. George (CoE) on Church Walk; consecrated in 1840. SJ 962 989. © Mike Berrell. Two interior views - 1, 2, both © Mike Berrell (2013). Link. A photo of Old St. George's Church (1888 - 1967) at Cocker Hill hangs in the present church. SJ 965 987. Reproduced by kind permission of the church; photo © Mike Berrell (2013). Despite being known as Old St. George's, two buildings preceded it; the original was built in 1776 and fell down only two years later. This was succeeded a few years afterwards by the second, which suffered from the effects of nearby tunnelling and railway building, when a landslip made it unsafe. More history here. Grade II listed.
St. Matthew on Dean Street. SJ 964 985. It wasn't built as a church, as this plaque explains, and it was re-named as St. Matthew after a former church which used to stand on Lord Street. Both © Mike Berrell (2013).
St. Raphael the Archangel (R.C., 1963) on Huddersfield Road, Millbrook. SJ 974 989. © Mike Berrell. Three interior views - 1, 2, 3, Christ carrying the cross, some striking modern stained glass, and an equally striking modern font, all © Mike Berrell (2011). Another view, © Philip Kapp. Mike advises that this closed in 2011 (news story), and that there are moves to demolish it (news story). Grade II listed. Following the closure, the Parish Hall was used for services, though Mike's impression was that it was perhaps no longer in use as it seemed somewhat uncared for. © Mike Berrell (2014).
04 November 2015
© Steve Bulman