The Churches of Britain and Ireland
The Abbey, dedicated to the Holy Cross (as the parish church), or St. Peter and St. Paul, as the Abbey Church. SJ 498 124. © Dave Westrap. The following are all © John Bowdler - three further views - 1, 2, 3, two interior views - 1, 2, and the old refectory pulpit and the font. Another interior view, © Alan Blacklock (2010). Link.
Barnabas Community Church (Baptist), in a former T. A. Drill Hall. © Gervase N. E. Charmley (2010).
Cathedral Church of Our Lady Help of Christians and St. Peter of Alcantara (R.C., 1853-6) on Town Walls. Three interior photos - 1, 2, 3, and a window. SJ 49156 12223. All © Steve Bulman (2018). Link. Grade II* listed.
The former Claremont Baptist Church (1878) on Claremont Street is now in secular use. SJ 48985 12525. © Steve Bulman (2018).
The former Coton Hill Congregational Church (1909), which Gervase advises has been closed for many years. The congregation moved here from the Castle Gate Congregational Church. © Gervase N. E. Charmley (2010).
The former Ebenezer Chapel (Methodist New Connexion). © Gervase N. E. Charmley (2010).
The former Friends Meeting House, now St. Chad's Church Hall. © Gervase N. E. Charmley (2010).
Old St. Chad collapsed in 1788. Some artwork of the old church can be seen here, but all that remains today is what used to be the Lady Chapel. Another view. This link implies that it is no longer used for services. The door used to be the access to the chapel from the south transept. All © John Bowdler.
St. Alkmund. © Aidan McRae Thomson. Another view, and two interior views - 1, 2, all © John Bowdler. Another view, and an interior view, both © Alan Blacklock (2010). The East end, © Gerard Charmley (2011).
St. Chad (1792) on St. Chad's Terrace. SJ 48815 12463. © Aidan McRae Thomson. Another view, © Martin Briscoe, and another © John Bowdler. Link. Three interior views - 1, 2, 3, a window, and the font, © Steve Bulman (2018).
The former St. David's Welsh Presbyterian Church (1936) on Milk Street and Belmont Bank, currently (2010) being converted for residential use. SJ 49229 12336. The previous church still stands on a slightly different site, on Belmont Bank, and dates from 1904. It became the church hall when the new church was built. SJ 49253 12318. Both © Gervase N. E. Charmley (2010). Another view, © Steve Bulman (2018).
St. John's Hill Methodist Church (1879). SJ 48951 12432. © Martin Briscoe. In this later photo (© Gervase N. E. Charmley, 2010), apart from changes to the main entrance, another building has been put up next door. Another view, © Steve Bulman (2018).
St. Mary (difficult to photograph), now in the care of the Churches Conservation Trust. Interior view. Both © Aidan McRae Thomson. Another view of the spire, another interior view, and the high altar and window, all © John Bowdler. Two further interior views - 1, 2, the latter showing the Jessetree window. Both © Graeme Harvey (2010). Two further views - 1, 2, both © Alan Blacklock (2010). A winter view, and the monument to Admiral Benbow. © Gerard Charmley (2011). Another interior view, © Simon Edwards (2011). Link.
The former St. Nicholas (Presbyterian), is now in commercial use. © Gervase N. E. Charmley (2010).
The Salvation Army hall on Salters Lane. © Rob Kinnon-Brettle.
Swan Hill Congregational Church. Originally Independent, Pevsner gives a date of 1867-8, and says it was built on the site of an earlier church of 1767. SJ 48923 12327. © Gervase N. E. Charmley (2010). By 2018 this had been closed, and a planning application had been lodged for conversion to flats. Two additional views - 1, 2, both © Steve Bulman (2018).
The former Tabernacle Welsh Independent Church (1862), now in Commercial use, though the congregation still exists, and shares Swan Hill church (see above). © Gervase N. E. Charmley (2010). Added 2018 - since the Swan Hill Church has now closed, the status of the congregation is unknown.
Unitarian Church (congregation founded 1662). © Alan Blacklock (2010).
Wesley House. Wesley preached here, and is where the first Methodist congregation met. © Gervase N. E. Charmley (2010).
21 June 2018
© Steve BulmanContact Details