The Churches of Britain and Ireland
Former Chapel (Plymouth Brethren). In this postcard of Shorne Ridgeway (franked 1909), the door immediately behind the cart has a sign on the door. In the original, it can be made out as "The Chapel of the Grace of God", with more writing below, which is unreadable. The "History of Shorne Village" by A. F. Allen, 1987, describes the Plymouth Brethren as having an outpost in Shorne in the early years of the 20th century. The building is now a private dwelling. TQ 693 703.
St. Katherine's Chapel (R.C.) is in origin 16th century, and was used as a malthouse for 300 years. It was restored starting in 1890, and in 1895 was returned to Catholic use. TQ 691 714. © Dave Westrap. An old postcard view, courtesy of Tony Larkin's Collection. Link1. Link2.
04 November 2015
© Steve BulmanContact Details