The Churches of Britain and Ireland

Shelf, West Yorkshire

Shelf on Wikipedia.


Bethel Independent Chapel on Carr House Road. It has a date-stone for 1853. The congregation was originally a splinter from the Primitive Methodists, building for themselves this Wesleyan Reform Chapel. They joined the United Free Methodists in 1873. It has remained independent ever since. Another view. SE 1276 2892. All David Regan (2020). Grade II listed.

Pepper Hill Unitarian Chapel. Although the wording on either side of the 1861 date-stone reads "Pepper Hill Unitarian Sunday School", this was built as a chapel - see here. SE 1124 2885. David Regan (2020). Link.

The former Primitive Methodist Chapel on Wade House Road, commonly known as Wade House Chapel. Built in 1822, the right hand end of the building (gable end to the road) was a school. The church was closed in the 1970's and is now a community centre. SE 1235 2869. David Regan (2020).

St. Michael and All Angels. SE 1306 2900. David Regan (2020). Link.

The site of the demolished Wesleyan Methodist Chapel - aka Witchfield Chapel - which stood on Shelf Moor Road and Witchfield Hill. Some photos of it are available here. It dates from 1887, with predecessors on the same site of 1769 and 1814. This source advises of closure in 1979, when the congregation moved into its Sunday School, which stood adjacent. That too was closed just two years later, and has also been demolished. SE 1256 2887. David Regan (2020).

 

 

 

 

Home

06 December 2020

Steve Bulman

Contact Details