The Churches of Britain and Ireland

 

South Molton, Devon

South Molton on Wikipedia.
 

Cemetery Chapels, marked on maps as CoE (left) and Non-conformist (right). SS 716 255. Martin Richter (2011).

Chapel House. This building stands on the southern edge of the parish churchyard. The British Listed Buildings entry here seems to be this building, implying that it was a 19th century Non-Conformist Chapel (perhaps Congregational, as the Congregational Church was built close-by in 1834). However, the local Heritage Trail booklet says that it was a medieval Chantry Chapel, dedicated to St. Anne and St. John of Bridlington, and licensed in 1449. The remaining externally visible stonework doesn't seem to support this claim - perhaps it was built "on the site of"? In any event, it was used as a store-room until 1982, when it was sold, and converted to residential use. SS 714 259. Martin Richter (2011), merged from two photos.

Gospel Hall (1840) on South Street. SS 714 255. Martin Richter (2011). Link1. Link2.

Methodist Church (1882/3). Another view. SS 715 260. Both Martin Richter (2011).

St. Joseph (R.C.) on East Street. SS 716 259. Christopher Skottowe (2010). This building was originally a Bible Christian Chapel (1863). In 1932, the congregation joined with the Wesleyans at the Methodist Church. The building was next used as a Salvation Army Barracks for 30 years, following which it was bought by the Catholic church. It was officially opened in 1968. Previously the Catholics used a former Toll House from 1956 to 1968; this was also dedicated to St. Joseph. SS 713 254. Martin Richter (2011).

St. Mary Magdalen. Previously in the Unknown section, this photo is taken from the better of a pair of stereo photos dating from about 1860-1880, and was identified by Phil Draper. SS 714 259. From Alan Finn's Collection. Two modern views - 1, 2, both Martin Richter (2011). Interior view, and three charming carved capitals - 1, 2, 3, the latter a "green man", all Christopher Skottowe (2013).

South Molton Baptist Church (1843). Another view. SS 716 258. Martin Richter (2011). Link.

The former U.R.C. (originally Congregational). Built in 1834 on the site of an older chapel, home to the congregation founded in 1662. Closed in 1986, it has since been converted into flats. Martin Richter (2011) - merged from two separate photographs. Grade II listed - link.

 

 

 

 
 

Home

10 July 2017

Steve Bulman

Contact Details