The Churches of Britain and Ireland
Christadelphian Hall. SP 500 754. © Paul Brown.
Christian Fellowship Centre (Elim Pentecostal) on Cambridge Street. It looks as if it may have been Methodist or Congregational at some point - can you confirm? SP 513 754. © Paul Brown. Link. Howard Richter advises that this was Wesleyan Methodist. The original pre-1887 Mission Chapel was converted to be the Sunday School when the present building was erected on or before 1905, when it shows on a map of that year. A short way along the road, on the opposite side, stands St. John, a Mission from St. Andrew. Probably now closed, a 1954 photo of it is available here.
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. SP 500 754. © Paul Brown.
Evangelical Free Church. SP 507 753. © Paul Brown.
The now-demolished Holy Trinity. Previously in the "Unknown" section, Barney Tyrwhitt-Drake wanted to put a name to the church in an old photo taken by a family member in 1865. Thanks to Phil Draper for the ID. He advises that this was a Scott church, and was demolished despite a long campaign for its preservation. It was Grade A listed.
Mount Zion United Pentecostal Church. SP 514 752. © Paul Brown.
New Testament Church of God. SP 499 754. © Paul Brown.
Orthodox Church of the Ascension. SP 512 751. © Paul Brown.
Quakers. SP 504 755. © Paul Brown.
Rugby School Chapel (1872, by Butterfield), previously and incorrectly listed as the Grammar School Church. © Paul Brown. An old postcard view, from Reg Dosell's Collection. SP 503 749. Another view, interior, and the altar, all © John Bowdler (2013). Grade I listed.
St Andrew. This church is unique as it has two towers each containing a full circle ring of bells. SP 504 752. © Paul Brown. Another view, and an interior view. Both © Aidan McRae Thomson. Another view, © John Bowdler (2013). Link. Grade II* listed.
St. Oswald. © Aidan McRae Thomson.
St Peter and St John. SP 515 752. © Paul Brown.
03 November 2015
© Steve BulmanContact Details