The Churches of Britain and Ireland

Rishworth, West Yorkshire

Rishworth on Wikipedia.


Independent Chapel (aka Parrock Nook Congregational) stands in isolation on the moors about a mile west of the village. It has a date-stone for 1832. SE 0161 1820. Grade II listed.

The 25" O.S. map of 1907 marks a Non-Conformist Mortuary Chapel at SE 0331 1813. The burial ground was perhaps for the nearby Baptist Church, which didn't have room for one. Vegetation blocks the view on Streetview - can you advise if it survives?

The Particular Baptist Chapel (aka Roadside Baptist) dates from 1803. SE 0343 1811. Grade II listed.

Rishworth School Chapel served the parishioners before the building of St. Matthew. The 1907 map labels it as Mission Church. SE 0320 1838. Grade II listed. David Regan (2020).

St. John the Divine (1928) on Godly Lane. SE 0327 1789. Link.

The site of the demolished St. Matthew (a tin tabernacle, 1890) can be seen here. The gateposts survive. It stood about half a mile south of the village, almost in Booth Wood, at SE 0348 1706. It was succeeded by St. John.

 

 

 

 

 

Home

12 December 2020

Steve Bulman

Contact Details