The Churches of Britain and Ireland
Rawmarsh, including Park Gate and Rycroft, South Yorkshire
Bethel Primitive Methodist Chapel used to stand on Lloyd Street, Park Gate, at SK 4370 9515. Its site was seen by Streetview in 2019. David Regan has seen a reference to it for 1887.
The site of the demolished Christ Church on Aldwarke Road, Park Gate. SK 4386 9524. Small photos of the church are available here and here. © David Regan (2022), who has seen a reference to a building date of 1876.
The site of the demolished Congregational Church, which stood at the junction of Stock's Lane and Bellows Road. A house and car park now stand on the site - the church had its long axis parallel to the road. It had a Sunday School to its left, and this may survive behind the adjacent shops, as seen here. It may be the chapel dated here to 1865. SK 4376 9623. Both © David Regan (2021).
Another demolished Congregational Church stood at the corner of Albert Road and Netherfield Lane, Park Gate, at SK 4385 9563. It pre-dates a map of 1890. Housing now stands on the site, © David Regan (2022).
Ebenezer Chapel (Wesleyan Reform) shows on the 1903 25" O.S. map on Rotherham Road, Park Gate, at SK 4352 9467. Now in commercial use, David advises that a map of 1854 marks it just as Wesleyan. © David Regan (2022).
The Methodist Church is just a short distance north of St. Mary, at SK 4359 9599. This source, which dates it to 1907-8 (as Wesleyan), has some interior photos. © Bill Henderson. Another view, © David Regan (2021). Link.
The former Mission Church on Rotherham Road, Park Gate, now in commercial use. It was built no later than 1901, from old maps. SK 4343 9445. © David Regan (2022).
The cemetery just to the north of St. Mary had a Mortuary Chapel at its eastern extremity, looking over High Road. Old maps label it as Nonconformist. SK 4359 9598. It had been demolished before the first Streetview of 2008. The site, © David Regan (2022).
The other cemetery, on Haugh Road, has a double Mortuary Chapel - in the photo the nonconformist is to the left, Anglican to the right. SK 4342 9668. © David Regan (2022).
A Primitive Methodist Chapel used to stand on Dale Road. Its site remains undeveloped. A photo of the chapel is available here, where it's dated to 1860. It also says that it had a predecessor of 1847, though it's location isn't specified. © David Regan (2021).
Ryecroft Methodist Church on Kilnhurst Road, which old maps label as Wesleyan. SK 4459 9697. © Bill Henderson.
St. Mary the Virgin on High Street. SK 4359 9593. © Bill Henderson. Two more views - 1, 2, both © David Regan (2022), who advises that the headstones in the first photo are not in the churchyard, but in a council cemetery. Link. Grade II listed. The churchyard walls and railings are separately listed as grade II.
The site of the demolished United Methodist Chapel, which stood at the junction of Marsh Hill/Broad Street and Hollybush Street, Park Gate. An old photo of it is available here. SK 4373 9542. © David Regan (2022).
Voice of God Fellowship on Kilnhurst Road is a former Wesleyan Methodist Chapel. It pre-dates a map of 1903. SK 4459 9697. © David Regan (2022).
The former Wesleyan Methodist Chapel on Broad Street, Park Gate. Available maps only limit it's building date to between 1850 and 1890, but this source shows that it was built no later than 1860, and continued until 1973. It also says that it was at some point known as St. Paul's. SK 4363 9519. © David Regan (2022).
04 March 2023
© Steve BulmanContact Details