The Churches of Britain and Ireland
Radcliffe, Greater Manchester
Former Chapel on Bolton Road (photo taken from Wordsworth Avenue). SD 772 074. © Mike Berrell. Can you advise the denomination?
Close Methodist Church on Bury Street stands on the site of a Wesleyan Chapel, the wall, gateposts and railings of which remain, as well as the adjacent school building. Interior view. SD 795 077. Both © Mike Berrell. The old Close Methodist Church, from John Gartside's Collection. John attended the church in the 1950's and comments that it was very draughty in winter!
The site of the Independent Methodist Church on Bridgefield Street. Disused, it was destroyed in a fire in March 2008, and demolished before Mike could get to it to take a photo. © Mike Berrell.
Methodist New Connexion Chapel on Smyrna Street. Although demolished, the school building remains, and is possibly a former church. SD 779 076. © Mike Berrell.
Mortuary Chapel and Crematorium (interior view), in Radcliffe Cemetery on Cemetery Road. SD 783 083. The Crematorium is run by an independent company - East Lancashire Crematorium. All © Mike Berrell.
New Jerusalem Church (Swedenborgian), on Stand Lane. SD 790 065. © Mike Berrell.
New Life Church, on Stand Lane. SD 788 067. © Mike Berrell.
Former Quaker Meeting House, which was subsequently used as a Salvation Army Hall, is now a private residence. © Rob Brettle.
Radcliffe Baptist Church. © Graham French.
The Bridge Methodist Church (1883) on Milltown Street was built as Radcliffe Bridge Wesleyan Methodist Church. Two interior views - 1, 2, a memorial window (close-up of text), and two commemorative plaques. SD 787 069. All © Mike Berrell (2014). Link1. Link2, which has a useful potted history.
Radcliffe U.R.C. on Water Street. SD 783 074. © Mike Berrell.
St. Mary on Church Green. Another view. SD 797 078. © Philip Kapp. Two interior views - 1, 2, the World War II Memorial Chapel, and the list of incumbents, which commences in 1234, all © Mike Berrell (2014). Link. Grade I listed.
St. Mary and St. Philip Neri (R.C. 1894), on Spring Lane. Interior view. The church was closed in August 2009, and has since been demolished. SD 789 075. Both © Mike Berrell. A replacement church building on Belgrave Street, with the same dedication, was built in 2009. Two interior views - 1, 2, and a plaque recording the opening of the church. SD 782 078. All © Mike Berrell (2011). Link.
The former St. Paul on Ringley Road West, Outwood. Now in secular use. SD 782 058. © Mike Berrell.
Wesley Methodist Chapel on Ainsworth Road. SD 778 082. © Mike Berrell.
17 February 2018
© Steve BulmanContact Details