The Churches of Britain and Ireland
A former Congregational Church (1840) stands on West Hill. It was vacated in 1887 when the congregation moved to a new chapel (see the former U.R.C. below) and subsequently used for many years as a school, but it's now in residential use. Another view. ST 46176 76567. © Carole Sage (2017).
The former La Sainte Union Convent on West Hill. This late Georgian house is first labelled as a convent on maps of the early 1900's, and it was closed in 2003. It has since been converted back to residential use. ST 46125 76587. © Carole Sage (2017).
The site of St. Augustine (CoE) on Hillcrest Road. It occupied the site of (or was developed from) an earlier hall, and opened after 1930. It seems to have still been active in 1974, but had closed by the early 1990's, and the land subsequently redeveloped for housing, now called St. Augustine's Close. ST 44283 75631. © Carole Sage (2017).
The site of St. Barnabas (CoE) on West Hill. From map evidence, it was built before 1882, and was demolished after the early 1990's. A house now stands on the site, though Carole speculates that the gate for the parking area might be the original churchyard gate. ST 46002 76475. © Carole Sage (2017).
St. Nicholas on Nore Road. Built in 1911-12 as a chapel for the National Nautical School. Unusually, Carole advises that it was listed as Grade II in 1976, but de-listed in 1994. Two further views - 1, 2. ST 44526 76132. All © Carole Sage (2016).
The former U.R.C. on Cabstand and Battery Road was built as Congregational in 1887. Sold in 2012, it was converted to residential use. The congregation now meet at St. Nicholas (above). Two further views - 1, 2. ST 4666 7672. All © Carole Sage (2016).
30 December 2017
© Steve BulmanContact Details