The Churches of Britain and Ireland
Penistone, South Yorkshire
The site of the demolished Lumbroyd Friends' Meeting House and burial ground, as seen by Streetview in 2011. The stone in the wall is better seen here, and it displays dates of 1763-1847, demolished 1859. Circa SE 2392 0239. © David Regan (2021).
A former Methodist New Connexion Chapel stands on the south side of the B6462, at its junction with Eastfield Avenue. It seems to date to the years around 1900. It's now Penistone Clinic, whose later accretions partly cloak the chapel. SE 2488 0329. © David Regan (2021).
Netherfield Independent/Congregational Church stands on the northern edge of the town. It's dated here to 1786, and here to 1788. The latter link also dates its closure to 1981, by which time it was U.R.C. SE 2422 0393. © David Regan (2021).
Old maps show a Primitive Methodist Chapel on Sheffield Road, Springvale, at SE 2558 0310. Pre-dating a map of 1906, it has been demolished, and its site can be seen on a Streetview from 2011.
St. Andrew on High Street is Methodist and U.R.C. SE 2458 0302. © David Regan (2021). It was preceded on the same site by the St. Paul (Wesleyan, 1873), a drawing of which can be seen here. The same website also mentions that St. Paul had a predecessor of 1808, the building being converted into housing, currently 22 and 24 High Street. These can be seen in a Streetview from 2021, behind the privet hedge.
04 March 2023
© Steve BulmanContact Details