The Churches of Britain and Ireland

  Norwich, Norfolk

Norwich on Wikipedia.

Some church photos here, and on the Norwich Historic Church Trust site. Also some different views of churches, taken from the Clock Tower here.


Churches at Chapelfield.

The former All Saints, on All Saints Green, now the All Saints Centre and Cafe. Interior view. TG 231 082. Both Aidan McRae Thomson. Another view, Steve Bulman (2011). Link. Stephen Maxwell Poringland advises that the cafe is now (2014) closed.

The former Anglican Convent, with the Catholic Cathedral behind. Gervase N.E. Charmley (2009).

Bangladeshi Muslim Centre. Gervase N.E. Charmley (2009).

The former Blackfriars, now St. Andrew's Hall, on St. Andrew's Plain. Aidan McRae Thomson. Two further views - 1, 2, both Steve Bulman (2011). The cloisters still exist to the rear. Steve Bulman (2011).  Link.

The former Bull Close Salvation Army Barracks (Norwich Castle Corps.). Gervase N.E. Charmley (2009).

Carnary College Chapel. Steve Bulman (2011).

The Cathedral, dedicated to the Holy Trinity. Another view. The Choir and the Nave. All Aidan McRae Thomson.  An old engraving of the cathedral, courtesy of the Colin Waters Collection. Another view. Jim Parker. Three interior views - 1, 2, 3, the west- window, vaulted ceiling, cloister, a carved head, an intricately carved font in a side-chapel, dragon misericord, a marvellous pelican lectern, and skeleton memorial, all Steve Bulman (2011). Link.

Cathedral Church of St. John Baptist (R.C.) on Earlham Road was built 1884-1910, and elevated to cathedral staus in 1976. Interior view. Both Aidan McRae Thomson. Another view, Steve Bulman (2011). Link.

City Church, formerly Cowgate Chapel (Primitive Methodist). Gervase N.E. Charmley (2009).

The former City Temple Primitive Methodist Chapel, now in use as offices. Gervase N.E. Charmley (2009).

The former Convent of Notre Dame is now a school, though the Roman Catholic Chapel of Notre Dame still stands within the walls, and is used as the school chapel. Gervase N.E. Charmley (2009).

The former Dereham Road Gospel Hall is now in use as offices. Gervase N.E. Charmley (2009).

The one-time Father Ignatius' Church off Elm Hill is testimony to a failed experiment in Monasticism in the nineteenth century. Read more of this fascinating story here. TG 23167 08876. Gervase N.E. Charmley (2009). The monastery itself is seen here, from an old photo (1958) in Carole Sage's Collection. TG 23191 08848.

The Greek Orthodox Church of the Mother of God used to be First Church of Christ, Scientist. Gervase N.E. Charmley (2009).

Holy Trinity on Trinity Street, Heigham. Another view. Both Gerard Charmley (2015). Link1. Link2.

King's Church on King Street is a recent build. Gervase N.E. Charmley (2009).

The former Kirby Hall (Pentecostal) is now a Family History Centre. Gervase N.E. Charmley (2009).

Norwich Central Baptist Church was formerly St. Mary's Baptist Church (1952). It was re-named when the congregation united with that of Dereham Road. The previous church (1912) on the same site was destroyed in WWII. Gervase N.E. Charmley (2009).

Norwich Synagogue stands opposite the Catholic Cathedral. The previous building was destroyed in WWII - the gate piers are made from fragments of that building. Gervase N.E. Charmley (2009).

Octagon Chapel (Unitarian). Aidan McRae Thomson. An interior view, and another. Both Dave Barrett. Link.

The Old Meeting House Congregational Church, is, advises Gervase, "is one of the finest early Nonconformist buildings in Britain. Dating from 1693, its elegant architecture shows that the Puritans were not devotees of ugliness for the sake of ugliness." Gervase N.E. Charmley (2009).

Potter's House Church on Dereham Road, previously Dereham Road Baptist Church (1904), and designed by A. F. Scott. The short tower once had a spire, removed following damage during WWII. Gervase N.E. Charmley (2009). Link.

Rosary Cemetery Chapel, Rosary Road. The chapel dates from 1879, though the cemetery (the first in the country established as a non-denominational cemetery) dates from 1819. Chris Emms (2009). Link.

St. Andrew. Interior view. Both Aidan McRae Thomson. Link.

The former St. Augustine, in the care of the Churches Conservation Trust. Interior view. Both Aidan McRae Thomson. Link.

Nothing remains of St. Bartholomew on Ber Street, other than this one fragment of the tower. A small plaque says that it was "desecrated in 1549". Should this be "deconsecrated"? TG 234 081. Steve Bulman (2011).

St. Benedict, of which only the tower remains, the rest destroyed in WWII. TG 220 088. Chris Emms (2009). Link.

Of St. Christopher, no trace remains, though a blue plaque marks the spot on Princes Street. Steve Bulman (2011). Link.

St. Clement on Colegate. Aidan McRae Thomson. Another view. Steve Bulman (2011). Interior view. Aidan McRae Thomson.

The site of the former St. Clement's Baptist Church. The building was also formerly used by the Brethren until Dereham Road Gospel Hall (see above) was built. Gervase N.E. Charmley (2009). My appreciation to Philip Page, who has supplied a little history - originally built in 1812-14, the congregation moved to Unthank Road circa 1875. There's no information on what it was used for for several decades (unless this was when the Brethren used it), but it was demolished sometime between 1908 and the 1920's, replaced by a factory unit, which was later used as a garage. This too has now been demolished, as part of the Friars Quay residential development. An illustration of the church is available here.

The former St. Edmund, now a counselling centre. Interior view. Both Aidan McRae Thomson.

The former St. Etheldreda, now used as artists studios. Mark Summers. Another view. Interior view. Both Aidan McRae Thomson. Link.

St. George Colegate. Aidan McRae Thomson. Another view. Steve Bulman (2011). Interior view. Aidan McRae Thomson. Link.

St. George Tombland. Interior view. Both Aidan McRae Thomson. Link.

St. Giles. Interior view. Both Aidan McRae Thomson. Two further views - 1, 2. Steve Bulman (2011).

St. Gregory - now a music and arts centre. Aidan McRae Thomson. Two further views - 1, 2, both Steve Bulman (2011). Interior view. TG 228 087. Aidan McRae Thomson.

St. Helen. Three views of the small cloister -1, 2, 3. Three interior views - 1, 2, 3, part of the ceiling, and an one example of the many fine carvings. All Steve Bulman (2011).

The former St. James, now Norwich Puppet Theatre. Aidan McRae Thomson.

St. John de Sepulchre, now Russian Orthodox. Aidan McRae Thomson. Another view. Steve Bulman (2011). Interior view. Aidan McRae Thomson.

St. John Maddermarket (redundant). Aidan McRae Thomson.

St. John the Baptist, Timberhill. Interior view. TG 231 082. Both Aidan McRae Thomson. Another view, interior view, font, rood, and side-chapel, all Steve Bulman (2011). Link.

St. Julian. Interior view. Both Aidan McRae Thomson. Link.

St. Laurence on St. Benedict's Street, is in the care of the Churches Conservation Trust). Aidan McRae Thomson. Another view, Steve Bulman (2011). Interior view. Aidan McRae Thomson.

The former St. Margaret, on St. Benedict's Street, now used for temporary exhibitions. Aidan McRae Thomson. Another view, Steve Bulman (2011). Interior view. Aidan McRae Thomson.

The former St. Martin at Oak (now used as artists studios). Interior view. Both Aidan McRae Thomson.

The former St. Martin at Palace (now used as probabtion offices). Interior view. Both Aidan McRae Thomson.

The former St. Mary Coslany, now used by a publisher. Interior view. Both Aidan McRae Thomson. Link.

St. Mary Magdalen on Silver Road. Gerard Charmley (2015). Link.

The redundant St. Mary the Less. Interior view. Both Aidan McRae Thomson.

St. Matthew - taken from the riverside path. Steve Bulman (2011). Link.

St. Michael at Plea (now a bookshop) on Queen Street. Aidan McRae Thomson. Another view, Steve Bulman (2011).

The former St. Michael Coslany (aka St. Mile's), now an environmental discovery centre. From an old postcard (franked 1909), Bulman Collection. A modern view. Interior view. Both Aidan McRae Thomson. Link.

The former St. Peter Hungate (on Elm Hill) has been used as a museum, but is currently not in use. Steve Bulman (2011). Interior view. Aidan McRae Thomson.

St. Peter Mancroft. From an old postcard, Steve Bulman's Collection. Another old postcard, from Reg Dosell's Collection. A modern view. Aidan McRae Thomson. Three further views - 1, 2, 3, and the handsome sun-dial, four interior views - 1, 2, 3, 4, the intricate font-cover, and the lectern, all Steve Bulman (2011). Another view, Carole Sage (1962). TG 229 084. Link.

The former St. Peter Parmentergate. Interior view. Both Aidan McRae Thomson.

All that remains of St. Peter Southgate (demolished 1887) is a fragment of the tower. Another view. Both Steve Bulman (2011).

St. Peter's Methodist Church on Park Lane. Gervase N.E. Charmley (2009).

St. Philip was destroyed by bombing in WWII. The photo was difficult to take! The church hall now houses Douro Place Chapel. Both Gervase N.E. Charmley (2009).

The former St. Saviour, now a Christian Youth Centre. Aidan McRae Thomson.

The former St. Simon & St. Jude on Wensum Street. Aidan McRae Thomson. Another view. Steve Bulman (2011).

St. Stephen. Interior view. TG 229 082. Both Aidan McRae Thomson. Another view, Steve Bulman (2011). Link.

St. Swithin, on St. Benedict's Street, now Norwich Arts Centre. Steve Bulman (2011).

Salvation Army "Norwich Citadel" on St. Giles Street. Gervase N.E. Charmley (2009). Another view, Steve Bulman (2011). Approx. TG 227 085. Link.

Scott Memorial Methodist Church at Heigham. Gerard Charmley (2015).

Seventh-day Adventist Church on Dereham Road. Gervase N.E. Charmley (2009).

Silver Road Baptist Church, built in the Romanesque style for the growing suburbs in NE Norwich. The congregation however has a longer history, dating back to the 17th century. Gervase N.E. Charmley (2009).

The Society of Friends Meeting House is difficult to photograph well. Geoff Watt. Another view. Gervase N.E. Charmley (2009). Another view, Steve Bulman (2011).

Surrey Chapel (Evangelical Free Church) - not a pretty building, was originally the Boot and Shoe Manufacturers Trade Union Hall. The congregation was founded by Robert Govett (1813-1901), who, before he left, was curate of St. Stephen's. The original building (1854) was on Surrey Street. Gervase N.E. Charmley (2009).

The former Swedenborgian Chapel (or New Jerusalem Church) on Park Lane. Gervase N.E. Charmley (2009).

The former Timber Hill Strict Baptist Chapel on Orford Place is now a restaurant. Gervase advises that much of the original interior survives. Gervase N.E. Charmley (2009). A more recent view, Gerard Charmley (2015).

Trinity U.R.C. was built as Trinity Presbyterian Church, replacing a previous building destroyed in WWII. Gervase N.E. Charmley (2009).

U.R.C., previously Princes Street Congregational Church (1869). It replace a chapel of 1818. Steve Bulman (2011).

The former Willow Lane Jesuit Chapel. TG 226 086. Gervase N.E. Charmley (2009).

Zoar Baptist Chapel (Strict and Particular) at St. Mary's Plain. Gervase N. E. Charmley (2009). A more recent view, and the interior, both Gerard Charmley (2015).

Chapelfield
All that remains of the Chapelfield Congregational Church are the schools (one dated 1862) and vestries adjacent to the site of the church, now under the car park. Gervase N.E. Charmley (2009). Another of the former school buildings now houses Chapelfield Mosque. Steve Bulman (2011).
Chapelfield Methodist Church, on Chapelfield Road. Steve Bulman (2011). Link.
Norwich Spiritualist Church on Chapel Field North. Gervase N.E. Charmley (2009). Another view, Steve Bulman (2011). Link.

 

 

 
 

Home

23 April 2017

Steve Bulman

Contact Details