The Churches of Britain and Ireland
Newton Heath, Manchester
Culcheth Methodist Church on Droylsden Road dates from 1972. SD 886 003. © Mike Berrell. The previous building stood here from 1877 till 1972. Reproduced (by Mike Berrell) from the 150th Anniversary Souvenir Brochure, by kind permission of the church. Mike has advised that this church closed in 2012.
Kingdom Hall of the Jehovah's Witnesses on Oldham Road. SJ 883 008. © Mike Berrell (2011).
Newton Heath Evangelical Church (dating from 1908) on Culcheth Lane. SD 884 003. © Mike Berrell.
An interior view of the former St. Augustine on Sanderson Street (CoE, 1881 - 1967; then used for Diocesan storage; destroyed in a fire in 1970). SD 863 004. Image reproduced by kind permission of The Saviour PPC (Collyhurst), and the efforts of Mike Berrell.
Former Chapel dated 1884, on Hopwood Street, now in secular use. Can you advise the denomination? SD 878 007. © Mike Berrell. Janet Gimber advises that the street was only named as Hopwood Street in the 1970's, having previously been Hall Street. According to various old maps, the chapel was Zion Chapel, later as Primitive Methodist, and later yet as just Methodist.
01 November 2015
© Steve BulmanContact Details