The Churches of Britain and Ireland

 

Newquay, Cornwall

Newquay on Wikipedia.

The Newquay Old Cornwall Society has a useful page with dates and events, many referring to the local churches.


Former Baptist Church on Chapel Hill (active, Steve Fountain thinks, from the 1920's). SW 807 617. Paul E. Barnett (2014). Steve Fountain, the Secretary for Newquay Reformed Baptist Church has pointed out that it is now an adult education centre, and that the present Baptist Church is tucked away behind houses nearby. There is a photo of it on the appended link. Link.

Former Baptist Church, now part of Truro College. Paul E. Barnett (2017).

Claremont Methodist Church on Beachfield Avenue. SW 809 616. James Murray (2009). Grade II listed.

Most Holy Trinity Catholic Church. SW 806 619. Paul E. Barnett (2014). Link.

Probable former church. James Murray. Janet Gimber has advised that this is Elim Church, which has its main entrance round the corner on Seymour Avenue. Originally showing as "hall" on old maps, at some stage the two buildings have been combined. Now known as Newquay Christian Centre  SW 811 616. Paul E. Barnett (2014). Link.

Newquay Methodist Church is meeting temporarily at The Bishops Primary School. SW 819 609. Paul E. Barnett (2016).

St. Michael the Archangel. SW 811 615. James Murray. Another view, Paul E. Barnett (2014). Grade II* listed. Link.

Salvation Army on Crantock Street. SW 807 616. Paul E. Barnett (2014). Link.

U.R.C. on Bank Street. SW 810 617. James Murray. Another view, Paul E. Barnett (2017). Link.

The former Wesley Chapel (1879) at SW 829 603. Paul E. Barnett (2015).

Wesley Methodist Church. James was advised that this church is soon to be closed and made into housing. SW 812 617. James Murray (2009). Another view, Paul E. Barnett (2014). By 2017 this was New Creation Church, Paul E. Barnett (2017). Grade II listed.

Just two doors away is this other probable church, now in use as an undertaker's. SW 811 616. James Murray. Janet Gimber has advised, after much digging, that this was a United Methodist Free Church. They moved into the then new Steps Chapel in 1865. The steps are not visible in the photo - they stand on the right hand side of the building, and lead up to the main door to the chapel, which was on the upper floor. Eventually, the chapel became too small, and they moved into another new chapel, Claremont, still in use today (see above). Much information on local Methodism here. This link has a photo of the chapel in 1982, then in use as a garage. A more recent view, Paul E. Barnett (2014).

Standing between the Newquay Christian Centre and Steps Chapel (see previous two entries), stands this restaurant, a possible former church. Paul E. Barnett (2014).

 

 

 
 

Home

28 October 2017

Steve Bulman

Contact Details