The Churches of Britain and Ireland
Neath, Neath Port Talbot
Bethany Baptist Chapel on London Road. © Jim Parker.
Church on the Move holds Sunday Services in Neath Town Hall, on Church Place. © Jim Parker.
Gnoll U.R.C. on Arthur Street. © Jim Parker. Adrian Jones explains that this used to be a doctor's surgery, and was preceded by Gnoll Road Congregational Church (1885), which confusingly stood on Victoria Gardens Road. It was subsequently renamed as Gnoll Road United Reformed Church, which was eventually sold for conversion into flats - the congregation moving into the present church at that time. Interior view. These old photos have been scanned from a Jubilee booklet of 1935 in Adrian Jones' Collection. Also from the same source is a photo of Wind Street Chapel, the predecessor to the old Gnoll Road Congregational Church. This was subsequently used by the Salvation Army, and the Baptists.
Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses on Bridge Street. © Jim Parker.
Llantwit Road Cemetery Chapel. © Jim Parker.
The former Methodist Chapel (1813) on Castle Street. © Jim Parker.
Moorland Road Gospel Hall. © Jim Parker.
Neath Methodist Church on Lewis Road. © Jim Parker.
New Maria Congregational Church on Brookdale Street. © Jim Parker.
Presbyterian Church of Wales on London Road. © Jim Parker.
Presbyterian Church of Wales Mission Hall on High Street. The adjacent building (to judge by appearances) is the original building. Both © Jim Parker. Adrian Wright advises that the latter building was originally built for the Forward Movement, and dates from about 1880. The later building, built some time after the revival in 1905, took over, and the older one was used as a schoolroom, then being known as the Lesser Hall.
St. John's Christian Spiritualist Church on Charles Street. © Jim Parker.
St. Joseph (R.C.) on Cook Rees Avenue. © Jim Parker.
Siloh Chapel (Welsh Independent) on Old Road. © Jim Parker.
The former Zoar Chapel (Welsh Independent) on Zoar Road now serves as a garden centre warehouse. © Jim Parker.
Zoar Pen-Y-Dre Independent Congregational Chapel, on Pen-Y-Dre. Adrian Wright advises that this was originally built as a Mission Chapel from Zoar (above), it was later taken over by Gnoll Road (above), though they too moved out, and it is now Independent. © Jim Parker. Link.
01 November 2015
© Steve BulmanContact Details