The Churches of Britain and Ireland

Millom, Cumbria

Millom on Wikipedia.
 

Baptist Church. James D. Thomas.

A Chapel is shown on the 6" map of 1900 on Newton Street at SD 1768 7992. It post-dates a map of 1867, and is identified here as a Bible Christian Chapel, closing in 1969-70. As of 2022, its site remains un-developed (Streetview).

Holy Trinity. From an old postcard (franked 1914), Bulman Collection. A modern view, and showing the church in the landscape. Both James D. Thomas. Link.

Millom Methodist Church. The previous church is (2007) being converted to housing to help fund repairs to the current church. Both James D. Thomas.

Our Lady and St. James (R.C.). James D. Thomas.

A Primitive Methodist Chapel (called here Holborn Hill P.M. Chapel, and which dates it to 1870 to no later than 1980) in fact stood on Pannet Hill - now Pannatt Hill - at SD 1685 8043. The housing on the site was seen by Streetview in 2022.

St. George. From an old postcard (franked 1914), in Steve Bulman's Collection. A modern view, James D. Thomas. SD 1716 7999. Link.

Salvation Army. James D. Thomas.

According to this source, what is identified as a Temperance Hall on a map of 1900, at the junction of Mainsgate Road and St. George's Road, was "by 1920" home to a Welsh Calvinistic Methodist congregation. It's now in secular use, and was seen by Streetview in 2022. SD 1744 7981.

 

 

 

Home

02 April 2024

Steve Bulman

Contact Details