Middleton on Wikipedia.
Churches in Boarshaw, Langley, Rhodes.
Alkrington and Providence U.R.C., Manchester New Road, dated 1926. According
to this stone, there had
been an earlier building (Providence Chapel) dating from 1836.
Interior view. SD 867 047.
Mike Berrell. My appreciation to Michael Baron who has advised that the
date-stone depicted in this entry was from Providence Congregational
Chapel on Market Place, and was moved to Alkrington when Providence
closed. This was soon after the formation of the United Reformed Church,
when the Presbyterians and Congregationalists combined, which was in
1972. Alkrington U.R.C. had been built as Congregational to a design by
Edgar Wood, and
was a replacement for Salem Chapel which stood on Manchester New Road,
and which was demolished as part of the redevelopment of central
Middleton. Mike Berrell has also advised (2016) that The Newday Christ
Fellowship Church also meet here (link).
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, on Taylor Street/Oldham Road. SD 872 057. ©
Grace Fellowship Manchester Church meet at Brookside
Community Centre on Mainway East, Alkrington. SD 881 045. © Mike Berrell (2014). Link.
Archer Park, Parkfield. SD 865 060. © Rodney Hall.
Another view. © Mike
Berrell. Two interior views - 1, 2, both © Mike
Berrell (2011). Mike has advised that this church was made redundant in 2015 and
subsequently put up
Middleton Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses, on Hilton Fold Lane. SD 879
064. © Mike Berrell.
Middleton Methodist Church
on Long Street. SD 871 062. Interior view. The
stone pulpit, which Pevsner describes as "remarkable". © Mike Berrell.
Middleton Old Grammar School, has been used by the Salvation Army. When they
left the school, they moved into
These are now in use as a nursey. Both © Rob Brettle.
Mills Hill Baptist Church, Mills Hill Road.
Interior view. SD 888 060.
Both © Mike Berrell. Link -
see particularly the detailed history
Providence Congregational Chapel
(1822 - 1991)
on Market Place, now derelict. SD 872 061. © Mike Berrell. An
old photo of the chapel
(1960's or 1970's perhaps, judging from the cars) taken by Mike Berrell from an
original. Reproduced with permission.
Redeemed Christian Church of God,
on Long Street. SD 871 062. © Mike Berrell.
St. Gabriel (CoE), on Greenhill Road, Middleton Junction. SD 886 053. © Mike
Berrell. Two interior views - 1, 2, and an
unusual Scout War Memorial window, all © Mike Berrell (2012).
St. John the Evangelist on
Church Avenue, Thornham, dates from 1906, as this
foundation stone shows. SD
887 088. Both © Mike Berrell.
on St. Leonard's Square.
SD 871 063, © Rodney Hall. Another
view. © Chalmers Cursley. And
another © Mike Berrell. Also from Mike, an
interior view, and a
stained glass window.
St. Mary on Langley Lane, Birch-in-Hopwood.
Interior view. Mike explains
that the brick building is the entrance; the church proper is to its right. Both
© Mike Berrell. This
war memorial (© Mike
Berrell.) occupies the
site of the former church
altar. An interior view
of the former church. SD 852 078. Old photos reproduced by kind permission of
St. Michael on Townley Street, Tonge-cum-Alkrington. Opened in 1839, it was
re-built commencing in 1901. SD 874 057. © Mike Berrell. Link.
St. Peter (R.C.). on
Taylor St. SD 873 057.
Interior view. Both © Mike Berrell.
St. Stephen (Countess of
Huntingdon's Connexion), on High Street.
Interior view. Both ©
Mike Berrell. This photograph of the
previous church building
is reproduced by kind permission of the church. SD 872 065.
St. Thomas on Heywood Old Road, Bowlee. © Mike Berrell.
St. Thomas More
(R.C.) on Mainway, Alkrington.
Interior view. SD
872 045. © Mike Berrell.
Chapel (1866 - 1929) on Manchester Road. The exact location isn't
known precisely, but is approximately SD 867 060. Photo of a photo taken
by Mike Berrell, and reproduced by kind permission of the owner.
Temple Street Baptist Church,
on Temple Street, which closed in 2006. SD 878 061. © Mike Berrell. in Middleton Junction.
Chapel (denomination unknown - can you advise?). © Rob Brettle.
The Crematorium Chapel in
Middleton (formerly Boarshaw) Cemetery and Crematorium, on Boarshaw Road opened in 1952. A
L. Cpl. Joel Halliwell V.C. SD 883 068. Both © Mike Berrell. Two interior views - 1,
2. Both © Mike Berrell (2010).
St. Agnes and St. John Fisher
(R.C.) on Boarshaw Road.
Interior view. SD 880 069. Both © Mike Berrell. Since Mike took the interior
photo, the church has been redecorated, and he has sent in two additional
interior views - 1,
2, both © Mike
St. Margaret on
Stanycliffe Lane. SD 880 069. © Mike Berrell.
All Saints & Martyrs, Wood
Street. 109 SD 861
064. © Philip Kapp. Another view.
Interior view. Both © Mike
Berrell. Since redecorated, Mike has sent in these additional interior views -
3, and the
list of incumbents. All ©
Mike Berrell (2016).
The former Langley Methodist
Church on Windermere Road, which closed in July 2006. SD 858 071. © Mike
Our Lady of the Assumption
(R.C.) on Wood Street. 109 SD 861 066. © Philip Kapp.
Another view. © Mike Berrell.
Three interior views - 1,
3, all © Mike Berrell
The River Community Church
on Martindale Crescent. SD 856 072. © Mike Berrell.
The former St. Aidan (1955 -
1964), now the Millbeck Social Club, on Millbeck Road, Langley. SD 857 067. ©
The former St. Columba
on Windermere Road, was in use from 1959, until converted to secular use as a
boxing club. SD 864 073. © Mike Berrell.
All Saints on Manchester
Old Road. SD 851 053. © Mike Berrell. Two interior views - 1,
2, both © Mike Berrell (2013). Another view, ©
The former New Jerusalem (Swedenborgian)
on Egerton Street and Manchester Old Road. This church was demolished in 2016
and the site remains empty. The original intention was to build flats. SD
851 053. © Mike Berrell. Additional information from Michael Barron.
The former Primitive Methodist
Chapel on Manchester Old Road and Factory Brow, now in secular use. SD 852 052. © Mike
Michael Barron has advised of the following former churches. Rhodes Methodist
Church (built as Wesleyan) stood on Manchester Old Road, next to what is today
Tommy's Tyres. It was demolished in the 1960's. The frontage of the church can
just be seen on the right,
There was a Primitive Methodist Chapel on Chapel Street and Yates Street.
Demolished circa 1968 it was quite a distinctive building in red and yellow
brick with a brick tower and a small copper spire. Stone spouts stuck out from
the corners of the spire at 45 degrees. It opened in about 1900, replacing the
chapel on Factory Brow (see above).
St. John Wall (a Catholic chapel of ease from St. Clare in Blackley) stood on
Foxall Street. It had a short life, opening circa 1971, and demolished circa
Photos of the above church would be much appreciated.