The Churches of Britain and Ireland
The Abbey, dedicated to St. Peter, St. Paul, St. Aldhelm and the Virgin Mary. ST 930 875. © Dave Westrap. Another view. © Aidan McRae Thomson. The tower, and an interior view, both © David Gallimore (2010). An old postcard view of the South Porch, from Andrew Ross's Collection. The doorway is superb, with 3 orders of carving. © Janet Gimber (2012). These two photos (both © Christopher Skottowe, 1964) show typanums in the south porch - 1, 2. Link. Grade I listed.
Cemetery Chapel on Tetbury Hill. © Janet Gimber (2017).
The former Ebenezer Independent Chapel on Silver Street. It has date-stones for enlargement (1848) and 1902 for when it became a Masonic Hall. © Janet Gimber (2017).
on Oxford Street, © Graeme Harvey. This is also used by the Society of Friends.
The former Pentecostal Church on Silver Hill. This was previously been in use as parish rooms. It was the predecessor of The King's Church (see below). The door, with glass cross. © Janet Gimber (2017).
Before WWI, Plymouth Brethren used to meet in a room on the first floor of a building on Foundry Road. © Janet Gimber (2017).
The former Primitive Methodist chapel (1899) on The Triangle. © Janet Gimber (2012). Link. It was preceded by a smaller chapel on Bristol Street with a date-stone for 1856. It had various uses over the years, but was converted for residential use in 1998. © Janet Gimber (2017).
The former St. Mary (1670-80), on St. Mary's Street, now in use a a hall. It stands on the site of a meieval church, destroyed in the Civil War. Another view. ST 931 875. Both © Janet Gimber (2012). Grade II listed.
St. Paul, all that remains of the pre-Reformation parish church, sits apart from the abbey. ST 933 874. © Dave Westrap.
The former Wesleyan Methodist Church on Oxford Street and Market Lane. Built in 1886, it was closed in 1919 at the merger, whereupon it was taken over by the YMCA. © Janet Gimber (2017).
23 January 2018
© Steve BulmanContact Details