The Churches of Britain and Ireland
|Mainland, Orkney Islands
Brough of Deerness, remains of the medieval chapel. HY 597 088. © Martin Briscoe.
Evie, the Parish Church. HY 368 256. Trevor Hunt, the Minister, has advised that this church was sold in 2004 (for conversion to a residence) and the congregation has been meeting in a local school since then. They will be moving into a newly built church (© Trevor Hunt) soon - the dedication ceremony is planned for June 10, 2007. HY 268 254. The Old Parish Church. HY 375 247. First and third photos © Martin Briscoe.
Finstown, Firth Church (CoS). HY 360 138. The former Free Church, recently converted into holiday accommodation. HY 360 139. Both © Martin Briscoe. Another view (in 2007). © Trevor Hunt. The former Firth Paterson United Presbyterian Church (now a shop) was built towards the end of the 19th century, replacing an earlier building, originally erected in 1837 as the Secession Mission Station. © Trevor Hunt.
Gorseness, ruined church. HY 424 197. © Martin Briscoe.
Hackland. HY 393 206. © Martin Briscoe.
Orphir, the remains of St. Nicholas. The only circular church known to have been built in medieval Scotland. HY 335 044. © Martin Briscoe.
Queenamuckle. HY 415 216. © Martin Briscoe.
Skaill, St. Ninian. HY 588 064. West Church. HY 572 062. Both © Martin Briscoe.
Kevin Price advises (2011) that St. Ninian is now in Community use, and that West Church has been converted into a house.
Tankerness, St. Andrew's North Church. HY 511 080.
Andrew's South Church. HY 511 068. Both © Martin Briscoe. Kevin Price advises (2011) that both churches are now closed, and that South Church has been
converted into a house.
17 February 2018
© Steve Bulman